The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 May 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Bremont Altc-1

Hi guys. I have been on the hunt for the perfect work/casual.....dress up/dress down watch.

I am totally in love with my GMT IIc and I don't think I would wear another watch with a steel band. At least for a while I won't. At some point, I am hoping to pick up the new smooth bezel DJII.

Anyhow, I have looked in Panerai, but I just can't seem to get into something quite so big (don't love the 40mm's either). I also don't love how they do the seconds hands and even the date. I love the overall look, I just don't love the details.

That said, I have been looking intot he Bremont Altc-1. I can pick up from and AD for $4,800 (no tax shipping from Cali), so it is not cheap, but it is not crazy expensive either.

I actually flipped one of these years ago and always felt some regret. But I also did not have a resource of other people like me to discuss with.

I am drawn to the simplicity and the sportiness that is combined with a quality build and a strong presence without really even being a known watch.

All this said, I am curious what you guys think about the watch and if you could give me any insight.

All comments appreciated. Obligatory pic is included below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt1-c-bk-1.jpg (77.3 KB, 135 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Very nice looking watch. However, $4,800 puts it in pretty heady company, and I don't know if I'd spend that much before considering the very nice pre-owned watches that can be had for the same $$'s. For me, I wouldn't take this watch over a Speedy on strap or Sub on strap.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
Very nice looking watch. However, $4,800 puts it in pretty heady company, and I don't know if I'd spend that much before considering the very nice pre-owned watches that can be had for the same $$'s. For me, I wouldn't take this watch over a Speedy on strap or Sub on strap.
+1. I know Bremont has a lot of fans and its cases are nice, but for me I'd go Sinn for an ETA movement and save some cash, or save more or go used for a true manufacture.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 01:08 AM   #4
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, but not in this price range. I'd get an IWC 3717 instead. Not a big fan of Breitling, but last year they came out with a classic looking chrono that had a similar look.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 01:23 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
Beautiful watch, but not in this price range. I'd get an IWC 3717 instead. Not a big fan of Breitling, but last year they came out with a classic looking chrono that had a similar look.
Hey guys....thanks for the feedback. I love the speedy, but I am just not a fan of the lugs. I'm going to look at one this weekend, to be sure, but I always end up disappointed when I buy omega.

Love the subs, of course, but just don't appreciate it on a strap. Not even a little.

Now, that IWC is a completely different story. I love IWC and that watch is a stunner. I would probably replace that band, but I can live with that. I think I may have found a winner.....

Thanks again....

Old 12 May 2012, 02:10 AM   #6
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
While their fit and finish is great I could never bring myself to own a Bremont for the price compared to what else is available.

The 3570.50 is one watch I regretted selling. I only flipped it because I had to opportunity to get my wife a NIB DJ for a price I couldn't pass up and didn't have enough funds in the watch piggy bank to make the immediate purchase.

The chamfers and lugs are the thing I find great. Watch is as versatile as the Sub in the dress department, fits fantastic on bracelet for the 42mm case that wears like a 40mm, has great legibility, is a legend in horology that shares the Lemania base of the Patek 5070, strap changes are really easy for spring bar access as the watch looks great on a Nato (if you're into that -- I recommend fatter Speedmaster spring-bars from otto frei), and it's relatively affordable. What's not to love?

I finally tried on IWCs last week and found them all a little too cumbersome for my tastes, even the 42mm. Was a shame because I really loved the watch. Strap just didn't feel right and I've always felt the bracelet looked a little out of place for the watch head design. Then again my wrist is 6.75" so your impression may vary.

The Breitling is the Transocean Chronograph which comes with the in house B01 caliber. Love the looks and options of this watch as well. A similar choice albeit a little bit dressier is the JLC Master Control Chronograph which I absolutely love and amy also considering if I don't go back to the 3570.50. It shares a similar design to the Transocean but you loose 50m WR.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 06:47 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I spent a bunch of time researching this today. I think to hit all the points I'm looking for the Bremont is still in the lead.

I appreciate all the feedback, but I think it actually makes me want it more. After wearing all the "brands" for so many years, and being a full time Rolex guy, I'm looking for something a little more obscure.

Looking at pics on people has made me really want to get it all the more. I think it just looks awesome. And the quality is hard to question. Tons of other options in this range, but they all seem somewhat played to me.

I'm going to sleep on it and look at other watches, but if I get it, I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 12 May 2012, 06:51 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
X2

This or the Speed Master.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I had a Supermarin and an Alt1-Z. However, I sold them both. The bezel kept getting stuck on the Alt1-Z. Once is a mistake and I can forgive any maker that but twice indicates poor quality to me.
Old 12 May 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
I have always wanted the Bremont Alt-C1 for the same reasons.

Exactly the same colour as the pic you posted.

I've never seen one in the flesh, as Bremont isn't available in Australia. So I cannot give advice on quality. But i do agree, this is a gorgeous watch that ticks many boxes too for me.

Not that we should ever buy a watch just cos a celebrity wears it, but I must say it does look good on Tom Cruise's and Ryan Seacrest's wrist. Just google these names + Bremont and a bunch of pics will come up.

I give this piece the thumbs up! I say get it if it ticks all your boxes and the quality is there.

If not, I have an IWC 3717 on black leather strap (unworn) that i am selling, if you are interested.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dg4vgh
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 10:15 PM   #11
jankoxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too poor for R
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Hi guys. I have been on the hunt for the perfect work/casual.....dress up/dress down watch.

I am totally in love with my GMT IIc and I don't think I would wear another watch with a steel band. At least for a while I won't. At some point, I am hoping to pick up the new smooth bezel DJII.

Anyhow, I have looked in Panerai, but I just can't seem to get into something quite so big (don't love the 40mm's either). I also don't love how they do the seconds hands and even the date. I love the overall look, I just don't love the details.

That said, I have been looking intot he Bremont Altc-1. I can pick up from and AD for $4,800 (no tax shipping from Cali), so it is not cheap, but it is not crazy expensive either.

I actually flipped one of these years ago and always felt some regret. But I also did not have a resource of other people like me to discuss with.

I am drawn to the simplicity and the sportiness that is combined with a quality build and a strong presence without really even being a known watch.

All this said, I am curious what you guys think about the watch and if you could give me any insight.

All comments appreciated. Obligatory pic is included below:
Looks like its an old love so you should get it.
jankoxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 09:45 AM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

guys, i appreciate all the comments. i looked at everything and tried to be objective.

at the end of the day, it was one watch. i went with the bremont. after all the debate it just fit everything i am looking for. i can't wait to get it. i will post pics shortly......

Old 16 May 2012, 10:15 PM   #13
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

My history with Bremont has not been good.
I have owned one and have two clients who bought them when
doing some flight training with the RAF Typhoons and all three had bezel
and chrono reset issues.

Nice watch but not worth the cost of buying new nor is the quality control where it should be.... I hope you have better luck than we have had with them.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote