The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 February 2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Is it safe...

... to buy a home safe.

I'm looking at buying a home safe, about 1 - 2 cu. ft., will be bolted through the floor. Any suggestions, tips, horror stories? I've watched several videos of Sentry electronic locks opened with a magnet so anything with an electronic lock is a non starter. Dial combination is my preference, key override would be nice but not a deal breaker. I'd like to keep it under $750 Cdn (that's about a Starbucks latte in the U.S.). This one looks promising, no plastic parts:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mes...afe/1000769272
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 09:50 AM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

Not another "is it safe" thread...

My only advice on a safe that small is to hide it. Bolt it to the floor no matter what. But, if you can put it somewhere truly out of sight then that will go a long way.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Not another "is it safe" thread...
Well played, Erik.

I had to go back in and edit the title.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Is it safe...

Just added a safe actually for some other things but good to now have the chance to lock up my watch if I didn’t want to wear it one day and have insurance coverage applied.

I have placed it out of sight - no need to draw intrigue unnecessarily

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:31 AM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
If you bolt a 1 cubic foot safe to your floor, it won’t be safe for your back.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:32 PM   #6
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I highly recommend AmSec (American Security).

https://www.amsecusa.com

We bought this one:

https://www.amsecusa.com/product/ul1812x/
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:52 PM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I just bought a buben&zorweg. Albeit one of their models designed for more of a regular person rather than their target audience.

I do realize I paid more for the name. But the reviews are exceptional and I ordered it with 18 winders inside.

It’ll anchor to the floor. I already have another safe so this’ll be specific to watches. I would post a picture, but I’ve read here that it might be foolish.

FWIW, I’m also reinforcing my office door and of course have an alarm system. And three little noise makers. Certainly no one is sneaking in. That’s for sure. I like the multi pronged approach. But I also realize a true pro that wants in, will find a way. I simply intend to make them work for it.

I think any fire rated safe will do the trick for you. And as discussed anchor it to the floor.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:57 AM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If you get a smaller safe like this I’d recommend finding a way to elevate it so it doesn’t require getting on the floor to open. And if you do put it on the floor get a digital combination as working the analog style will be frustrating.

This is from first hand experience... my safe is analog and on the floor and I hate having to get in it. I’m thinking of getting a shelf I can put it on, just need to figure out how to secure it, maybe into a wall stud.

Have you considered a tall safe, which are typically gun safes, but you can put anything you want in them of course. A friend has a safe from Fort Knox, it’s an excellent brand.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:13 AM   #9
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
If you get a smaller safe like this I’d recommend finding a way to elevate it so it doesn’t require getting on the floor to open. And if you do put it on the floor get a digital combination as working the analog style will be frustrating.

This is from first hand experience... my safe is analog and on the floor and I hate having to get in it. I’m thinking of getting a shelf I can put it on, just need to figure out how to secure it, maybe into a wall stud.
This was exactly my point. It’s awkward, and I’m getting older. If you do mount it elevated, secure it to studs on two (or more) different axes.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:26 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think buying a safe has so many variables. Is it for papers, then a box at the bank is probably better. Is fire an issue or a concern, then there is the rating issues.

Is it for watches, then convenience is a concern. Is it a hassle to get to.

Is it for weapons, then there are more concerns.

Some people, me included think that hiding places for stuff is better than safes, and get a box at the bank for wills etc.

Is an alarm system better than a safe. Could a home invasion put family members at risk and someone be made to open a safe for the bad guys.

Lots to think about.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:27 AM   #11
RObinx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
RObinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:42 AM   #12
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I totally agree with getting an American security safe, or something with a TL rating. It all depends on what the safe is keeping safe.

I just got an AMSEC TL 15 safe. Weighs 3300 pounds, so definetly not easy to hide, but the knowledge that I have a really secure fire resistant box is awesome.

I will say, not all electric locks are made the same. Good ones are rated higher than almost any dial lock. A key back up is almost always going to be your weakest link.

Good luck on the search!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:56 AM   #13
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Any safe you get, regardless of size, should be considered to become a "bolted-downer" just for additional theft resistance.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #14
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
My best advice is to put the safe in a place where it will not be found by thieves.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:44 PM   #15
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Is it safe...

I hate to say it but safes are definitely a “get what you pay for” kind of item. Base your purchase on the value of what you’ll keep in it. If you can’t/can’t afford to easily replace it (ie heirlooms or a 10k watch) then save a bit more and pop on a Gardall or American Security
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:44 PM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Do some research and have some idea what your looking for and looking at. The word safe is most definitely misused by a number of manufacturers. You know it aint no safe if you bought it at Costco.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...ft-protection/

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:06 PM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If your stuff to be protected will fit into a small 1-2 cubic feet safe, then get a good one of those and do a bundle with a tall, cheap one.

Bolt the tall cheap one to the floor and a wall. It is the honey pot to stall the thief. Let him attack it with whatever he can bring or find around your garage. Inside will be cheap bargain store trinkets. All the time, the alarm system is blaring, police alerted and his 30 minutes is up.

The good small safe should be in a more hidden space - perhaps behind a false wall in a broom closet or pantry. It would likely be missed unless the thief has inside info.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:34 PM   #18
Texas4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I have a big 1200lbs safe bolted down in my garage...I also live in a gated community and have an alarm system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:44 PM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas4ever View Post
I have a big 1200lbs safe bolted down in my garage...I also live in a gated community and have an alarm system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can almost guarantee you that because it's only 1200lbs and not more like 3300lbs or more it's not TL rated. If you knew that when getting it and what that means and your satisfied with it then that's fine. At 1200lbs that's probably more like 10 or 11 gauge steel.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #20
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

I have a TL-30×6 safe that holds our stuff.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 12:08 AM   #21
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
But I also realize a true pro that wants in, will find a way. I simply intend to make them work for it.
That's kind of my thinking. I have a safe, bolted into the floor (on top of, not in) which is just an old fashioned dial, nothing electronic. I count on it being hidden as more of a deterrent than the safe itself.

I also recently bought a wall safe, which is bolted into the wall. It's got a key, an electronic keypad and fingerprint reader. It's not going to stop any pro, but it's mostly there to keep the cleaning people honest and to give the wife a sense of security. My watches are all insured, so really the only hardship I'd have if they were to be stolen is that some of them (think Rolex) may be difficult to replace quickly, or for what I originally paid. I don't feel like paying extreme premiums to insure them at MSRP or market prices (whichever is higher). Odds are, I'll be fine.

Most burglars (as I understand it) don't want to spend any more time in a house than they have to, so they're unlikely to spend hours trying to get into a safe. You just want to discourage them enough to go elsewhere. I do this by taping a key to the safe and labeling it "neighbor's house".

j/k. LOL

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 12:12 AM   #22
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I just realized that an enterprising thief could read my post and if they're real smart, could figure out my name and address. So let me add that on top of the attack cat that prowls the house, we have a house alarm and several retired neighbors who are always outside and very nosy when they see someone unfamiliar.

And the guy across the street who works from home.

I won't even mention the surveillance cameras and the retired FBI agent who rents out my attic room and has perpetual insomnia.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 01:16 AM   #23
Brew
"TRF" Member

There's a crazy man who works in the basement of my home, accompanied by a big dog (used to be 3) and some fish. The guy rarely leaves, as his friends all laugh at his watches and the big dog has some serious separation issues. He has a small safe, but sometimes he forgets where he put it, if he remembers to use it in the first place . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote