The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 September 2020, 04:02 AM   #1
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Chrono24 Question

Hi,

I’m a first time seller on Chrono24. I am using the escrow service to sell a watch. The one thing still on the back of my mind is return fraud. If I sell a genuine watch, I do not want to be sent a fake watch back.

Any advice on how to protect myself from that happening? Anyone have experience dealing with Chrono24 in that situation?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 04:36 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
No way id ever sell on that cesspool site.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 04:37 AM   #3
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
Tough question!

I have sold a couple of times on Chrono24, without problems, but I have to add that the watches were nothing to worry about (not expensive, and fake versions non-existent). Still I never thought about the risk that you have in mind. In my case it could theoretically have happened that a buyer would send back something different.

In any case it is important to communicate with buyers (get a feel about them) before finalizing a deal. And then trust that with the escrow service, Chrono24 can act as an effective arbiter if necessary.
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #4
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
My strong advice is not to sell it on C24. Cesspool is the right word for that site. It's nothing more than window-dressing of watch prices manipulated by dealers to try to justify secondary market prices.

I digress here, but I don't see how they stay in business. Each and every time I contacted somebody on that site to inquire about a watch - both private party and from "verified dealers" - they tried to take the transaction off site.

Anyway, C24's "escrow service" and "buyer protection" does absolutely nothing in my opinion in terms of potential fraud. I did buy a watch on there back in 2019 from a private party. I called C24 and asked if I can take the watch to an AD and remove the caseback to prove authenticity. I was told "if you do that, you void any guarantee or protection". That's completely counterintuitive.

Look at eBay. They are stepping up their game in terms of verification and the most you'd have to pay in commission is $750 plus an additional 2.5% from PayPal. I'd also strongly urge you to try and sell on here.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 05:05 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
From talking with others through the years, I will say that I have never heard anything good that would make me want to shop at Chrono 24. I avoid it and will not shop there.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 05:11 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Meh, I purchase 3 watches from there without any issues. If you know what you are doing and know the product, there is very little risk.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 05:24 AM   #7
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Meh, I purchase 3 watches from there without any issues. If you know what you are doing and know the product, there is very little risk.
I think buying is OK as long as you do a lot of due diligence it's backed up by a conversation that legitimizes the private seller or dealer. But I would never in a million years sell anything on there.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 05:34 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I think buying is OK as long as you do a lot of due diligence it's backed up by a conversation that legitimizes the private seller or dealer. But I would never in a million years sell anything on there.
I agree as a buyer and made it a point to talk with the private and first time seller I bought from, everything went smooth. I've heard not so good stories as well. Never sold there but as said do your due deligence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 07:11 AM   #9
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I guess one thing I will do is take videos when I box up the item.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 07:14 AM   #10
snarkq
"TRF" Member

I've sold on there no issues 4 different times. I would recommend it.
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have purchased a few times from them and had zero issues but since there recent markup of pricing I go elsewhere
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 10:25 AM   #12
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
I’ve bought a 114060 and sold a Zenith El Primero on there without issue.

Bought el primero in 2017 for 4000 sold a few months ago for 3800 less the 6.5% fee.

Again no issue