The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2020, 04:21 AM   #61
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I used to be one of those that got the newest phone the day it came out, I once queued outside an phone shop to get the newest iPhone. Not now though, I found that iPhones just became a much of a muchness for a lot of money.

The Nexus and the newer Pixel are/were fabulous phones and gave the iPhones real competition for a lot less money. The flagship Samsung phones (IN MY OPINION) are by far superior to the iPhone, Apple tries to catch up each year and features that a Galaxy has now will be incorporated into an iPhone in a couple of years time.

My iPhone crashes a lot more than any of my Galaxies did. You may ask why I have an iPhone after all that? It integrates with my hearing aids better, thats the only reason, if it wasn't for that, I would have a Galaxy or Pixel.
Yeah, I have the Samsung S9 and it's been a great phone and a good size (being not too big). No issues at all. It's just that the intrusive nature data collecting is my issue these days, but it woudn't matter which of the latest phones for that (I don't think).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:28 AM   #62
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Headphone jack and good DAC
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:28 AM   #63
The Joker
"TRF" Member

self healing glass
Old 22 September 2020, 04:29 AM   #64
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Scarlett Johansson as my phone OS
Old 22 September 2020, 04:38 AM   #65
CashGap
"TRF" Member

It's the only device I have that I use nearly all day, every single day, at work or off.

It holds or accesses literally 100% of the information I control. It controls nearly every device I have, including my home.

It will have a big performance bump, again surpassing the performance of their LAPTOPS let alone other phones (that will change when the laptops move to ARM). Photos improve yet again thanks to camera tech.

Fantastic uniform service all over the world, though seldom used.

I can't believe I can have a new one every twelve months for two bucks a day. Or keep it two years and sell it for half of what I paid.

I marvel at the value every day.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:49 AM   #66
absin2
Banned

I have used both phones, to me Apple phones still remains the best for now...
absin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:59 AM   #67
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Smaller size and much more memory.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:21 AM   #68
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Always on display with an active screen would be awesome and a more customizable screen/app drawer...you know, what android has had for years.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:49 AM   #69
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I guess they have a few screen sizes, a 6.1, a 6.7 and a so called mini which is 5.4.

Not really all that mini since the iPhone 8 was 4.7 and the real mini, the 6 SE was only 4.
Old 22 September 2020, 11:24 AM   #70
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yeah, I have the Samsung S9 and it's been a great phone and a good size (being not too big). No issues at all. It's just that the intrusive nature data collecting is my issue these days, but it woudn't matter which of the latest phones for that (I don't think).
The flagship Samsung on Android also steals 10-30x more of your data than iPhone, probably a lot a lot more now that iOS14 is out with all the privacy bells and whistles.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:39 PM   #71
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
I used to be one of those that got the newest phone the day it came out, I once queued outside an phone shop to get the newest iPhone. Not now though, I found that iPhones just became a much of a muchness for a lot of money.

The Nexus and the newer Pixel are/were fabulous phones and gave the iPhones real competition for a lot less money. The flagship Samsung phones (IN MY OPINION) are by far superior to the iPhone, Apple tries to catch up each year and features that a Galaxy has now will be incorporated into an iPhone in a couple of years time.

My iPhone crashes a lot more than any of my Galaxies did. You may ask why I have an iPhone after all that? It integrates with my hearing aids better, thats the only reason, if it wasn't for that, I would have a Galaxy or Pixel.

Sorry guys but i already tried and i don't understand how you can compare an iphone to a samsung or google.

There are several points but the first is privacy as mentioned above. Apple guarantees our privacy and we can manage everything in the settings without limits (location data, audio access, video ect) and without this preventing apps from launching or downloading them!
While on android, you are obliged to give access to your data before any download !!! It's incredible.

Add to that a better sorting of the apps on the app store than the Android, updates without any problem, access to parts and after-sales service at all times even on old iPhones, a higher residual value, a symbiosis iphone / ipad / mac and even beyond with googledrive, ease of access for all (I can give my iphone 8plus to my mother without worries, she will know how to use it) and the reliability / quality of the after-sales service.
WILLIWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:50 PM   #72
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIWALKER View Post
Sorry guys but i already tried and i don't understand how you can compare an iphone to a samsung or google.

There are several points but the first is privacy as mentioned above. Apple guarantees our privacy and we can manage everything in the settings without limits (location data, audio access, video ect) and without this preventing apps from launching or downloading them!
While on android, you are obliged to give access to your data before any download !!! It's incredible.

Add to that a better sorting of the apps on the app store than the Android, updates without any problem, access to parts and after-sales service at all times even on old iPhones, a higher residual value, a symbiosis iphone / ipad / mac and even beyond with googledrive, ease of access for all (I can give my iphone 8plus to my mother without worries, she will know how to use it) and the reliability / quality of the after-sales service.
Sure have to agree with you for sure. When I take a picture from my iPhone it automatically via ICLOUD is on my Mac Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, etc etc etc..
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:00 PM   #73
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

You drink the Apple Kool-Aid. Nothing wrong with that, to each his own. I prefer to drink other liquids.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:20 PM   #74
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don’t care, don’t use 99% of the possibilities anyway, just want one and going to buy it.
Old 22 September 2020, 09:23 PM   #75
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I don’t care, don’t use 99% of the possibilities anyway, just want one and going to buy it.
Oh I can sure relate to this on many many occasions..! :)
Old 22 September 2020, 09:35 PM   #76
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Better sorting of apps? Are you serious, Android has had an app draw for a gazillion years, you organise it how you want. Apple has had one for a week (and its not very good at that, all it is is an extra page tbh), other than that, apps were plastered over many screens. Access to data? You really don't know anything about Android, the access permissions are the same, you dont need to give permission before you download the app. How is that even possible? Updates, Google updates its apps as and when they are needed, not yearly. You are right about residual value and it being more of an old persons phone though.

Looking at your post, you really don't know about Android phones. Honestly.

I have a iPhone.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:36 PM   #77
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Sure have to agree with you for sure. When I take a picture from my iPhone it automatically via ICLOUD is on my Mac Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, etc etc etc..
Same as Android, it is not exclusive to Apple.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:42 PM   #78
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Same as Android, it is not exclusive to Apple.
never said that..:)
Old 22 September 2020, 09:47 PM   #79
BreguetRolex
Banned

Looks like a new color to choose from with these new IPhone12's in BLUE..My 11ProMax is like olive green..
Old 22 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #80
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
You drink the Apple Kool-Aid. Nothing wrong with that, to each his own. I prefer to drink other liquids.
The problem is he didn’t address anything he said. Security is not Kool-Aid. You either don’t believe what he said is true, or you do believe it’s true and you don’t care. I’d be interested to know. This is a fun conversation.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:35 PM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Apple guarantees our privacy and we can manage everything in the settings without limits (location data, audio access, video ect) and without this preventing apps from launching or downloading them!
Propaganda does work.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #82
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
A port to keep using the wired earbuds. Sorry, until more long term data is out, no way im going blue tooth and having that close to my brain. If that's out, its goodbye Iphone. WHO considers the radiation exposure as being possibly cancer causing. Thats not a gamble I am willing to take, let alone pay for that increased risk.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:41 AM   #83
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
A port to keep using the wired earbuds. Sorry, until more long term data is out, no way im going blue tooth and having that close to my brain. If that's out, its goodbye Iphone. WHO considers the radiation exposure as being possibly cancer causing. Thats not a gamble I am willing to take, let alone pay for that increased risk.
How many years before you deem it safe? Bluetooth headsets have been available to the public for 20 years now.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:44 AM   #84
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
How many years before you deem it safe? Bluetooth headsets have been available to the public for 20 years now.

Yes, but how many years has it been ubiquitous? As the wired version fade out, the amount of time people spend exposed will increase a significant amount. I’m not comfortable being the lab rat for that.

Given my field, I also understand how long and how difficult to get good data on humans (not just lab animals) and I have had no problem using the wired headphones for as long as they have been around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 September 2020, 12:47 AM   #85
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think Apple is more private. If you're talking about governments. They likely are both as leaky, but I don't think apple is a paid participant the same way other companies may be.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:52 AM   #86
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

Additionally, how many years does it take smokers to develop COPD, heart failure, cancer? How about folks to develop high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes as the result of poor diet? In both cases it can take 20-40 years+.

Old 23 September 2020, 01:13 AM   #87
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I think Apple is more private. If you're talking about governments. They likely are both as leaky, but I don't think apple is a paid participant the same way other companies may be.
Why don’t you think so? Because they said so?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:23 AM   #88
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Apple guarantees our privacy...

Funnily.. I can replace the whole sentence in our watch analogy which we have read multiple times here..

Sorry guys but i already tried and i don't understand how you can compare an Rolex to a grand seiko.

If not anything else, I need to applaud Apple for doing great job with its marketing(even it's far away from truth)!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:29 AM   #89
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I've had almost every iphone that has come out. They work and I don't have issues, to me that is the most important aspect of a phone that I interact with all day long. For my family and me, Apple has our business for the foreseeable future.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:40 AM   #90
austinp
"TRF" Member

How do you Android guys stand the green texts?

A bridge too far for me!

austinp is online now   Reply With Quote