The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2020, 07:58 PM   #31
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
You must be single
Now thats funny.....
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 08:11 PM   #32
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Nice blanket statement.

Not all SS watches are popular. You can get a VC overseas at a discount still. Great watch.

However, if you want a Rolex it is true for the most part. Rolex is the #1 watch brand in the world. It is not even close. Not by a mile. All the other brands chase it.

As a collector you can live in the past or the present. I tend to live in the present whilst remembering the past. That is why I don't get hung up on the super case complaint or PCLs. A lot of collectors live in the past and unlike the brand do not evolve.

Rolex has history and right now is a part of it. You can turn your back if you want.

But having a problem understanding is ignorance. Never has Rolex been as popular as it is in Asia. I know for people in North America and Europe they can't get it. However, it appears you live in the Asia market. You should know the Asia market has irrationality and IS BIGGER than the other markets. It dictates the trend. Sorry.

Blaming people for profiting off a watch sale is idiocy in its highest sense. Saying it is wrong to flip is a personal opinion. It is no crime. The market allows it and is free so they are free to do so.

If you think SS is cheap go PM - they are obtainable at retail.
This
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 08:45 PM   #33
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Cool story, would read again
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 09:13 PM   #34
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
You need to turn on auto-correct
Old 23 October 2020, 09:14 PM   #35
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
the entire economy was depressed. there is more money in the system now than ever.

people are thinking about watches as an alternative investment. right or wrong this is where we are.
The wealthy are always wealthy, even in a depressed economy. And I mean folks with real FU money, not the small time millionaire.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 09:19 PM   #36
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice blanket statement.

Not all SS watches are popular. You can get a VC overseas at a discount still. Great watch.

However, if you want a Rolex it is true for the most part. Rolex is the #1 watch brand in the world. It is not even close. Not by a mile. All the other brands chase it.

As a collector you can live in the past or the present. I tend to live in the present whilst remembering the past. That is why I don't get hung up on the super case complaint or PCLs. A lot of collectors live in the past and unlike the brand do not evolve.

Rolex has history and right now is a part of it. You can turn your back if you want.

But having a problem understanding is ignorance. Never has Rolex been as popular as it is in Asia. I know for people in North America and Europe they can't get it. However, it appears you live in the Asia market. You should know the Asia market has irrationality and IS BIGGER than the other markets. It dictates the trend. Sorry.

Blaming people for profiting off a watch sale is idiocy in its highest sense. Saying it is wrong to flip is a personal opinion. It is no crime. The market allows it and is free so they are free to do so.

If you think SS is cheap go PM - they are obtainable at retail.

Very well said.
Old 23 October 2020, 09:20 PM   #37
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
New Game: Drink every time OP says "Flipper".....
Knappo 1307 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 09:21 PM   #38
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
We need receipts !

Old 23 October 2020, 09:43 PM   #39
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
New Game: Drink every time OP says "Flipper".....
Are you trying to give everyone alcohol poisoning?
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 10:04 PM   #40
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
If you want a BNIB stainless rolex, patek or audemars today you could have one.. There are 100"s of them forsale at any given time. Thats not what most are looking for tho, they want that MSRP price thats why you see all the whining about my Trusted AD..!
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 10:59 PM   #41
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I understand why you’re perplexed and have a lack of "FACINATION" (sp)....It's clear that only the most expensive of items, attract your attention!

"I just do not get the fascination with a stainless steel watch except it was the cheapest watch to purchase".

Just saying......
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 11:23 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s more durable, lighter, cheaper, and has been largely the feature of most of their ad campaigns around the sports line since inception. Connerys 6538 wasn’t made of rose gold.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I don't navel gaze the market for stainless steel.

They are and have been the only watches I can afford. I have around 10 of them on and off, and love them all even though they aren't precious metals.

Speaking of that, are precious metals really all that precious?

And would I get any more enjoyment from a watch that is made of precious metals?

Not feeling it.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:37 AM   #44
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I don't navel gaze the market for stainless steel.

They are and have been the only watches I can afford. I have around 10 of them on and off, and love them all even though they aren't precious metals.

Speaking of that, are precious metals really all that precious?

And would I get any more enjoyment from a watch that is made of precious metals?

Not feeling it.
Subjective question. My answer is yes, I do enjoy my gold Sub much more than the two tone or stainless Subs previously owned. And there must be something to precious metals. Many folks buy gold, silver and platinum to hedge against an unstable dollar. Stainless steel? Most use it for cooking pots and pans and silverware in the kitchen.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:59 AM   #45
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
While the hype the last three years or so is unprecedented, SS watches have been popular for a very long time. Vintage SS Rolex were trading well even during the recession. SS Daytona has seen the hype since around 1995, after about 50 years of being the worst seller in the pro model lineup. Hype/demand moves around. I hope it moves to something else soon. I liked the old days of trading regularly better.

They HYPE is not strictly SS either. PM Rolex prices are way up across the board. SUB LB for example is up about 8-10 K over two years ago. You could find minty used around 25K and BNIB from reseller around 27-28K just a couple years ago.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:29 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Subjective question. My answer is yes, I do enjoy my gold Sub much more than the two tone or stainless Subs previously owned.
Speaks volumes.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:38 AM   #47
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
My answer is yes, I do enjoy my gold Sub much more than the two tone or stainless Subs previously owned.
I could see/imagine that.

But in reality is a SS Sub and a gold Sub really the same thing.

From a functional perspective I'd argue yes and no. They serve two different purposes, although they both tell the time.

The SS serves the basic function of a Rolex Sub, and the Gold is an adornment, an ego boost, a statement, jewelry, a fetish perhaps. (nothing wrong with that)

Therefore perhaps a SS Sub and a Gold Sub are actually two different things because they serve two different purposes. (Which is why some people have both)

That being said, not saying I wouldn't mind having a Gold Sub, but for me it's just not justifiable.
Old 24 October 2020, 02:34 AM   #48
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s more durable, lighter, cheaper, and has been largely the feature of most of their ad campaigns around the sports line since inception. Connerys 6538 wasn’t made of rose gold.
how do you know huh? all the pictures back then were black and white. the number ends in an 8 so i guess it was yellow gold

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:46 AM   #49
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Honestly, a SS model is all that I can afford. Ok, that’s a lie, I can’t even afford that, but my grail is a PM piece, a WG (new) sub to be exact. I know mechanically it is no different then a SS, and being WG won’t even look any different, but wearing that heavy piece of fine metal on my wrist will be a reminder to me, a reminder I was able to achieve a goal. I know I will enjoy it.

Someday...
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:49 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
how do you know huh? all the pictures back then were black and white. the number ends in an 8 so i guess it was yellow gold

Old 24 October 2020, 03:09 AM   #51
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could see/imagine that.

But in reality is a SS Sub and a gold Sub really the same thing.

From a functional perspective I'd argue yes and no. They serve two different purposes, although they both tell the time.

The SS serves the basic function of a Rolex Sub, and the Gold is an adornment, an ego boost, a statement, jewelry, a fetish perhaps. (nothing wrong with that)

Therefore perhaps a SS Sub and a Gold Sub are actually two different things because they serve two different purposes. (Which is why some people have both)

That being said, not saying I wouldn't mind having a Gold Sub, but for me it's just not justifiable.

I see what you mean, but really not sure from outside a WIS perspective they would be so differentiated.

Would an SS and WG sub still fit those definitions above ?

The adornment, ego, jewellery, statement you’ve described about the gold sub is equally applicable i would argue by many Rolex wearers to an SS sub.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 04:05 AM   #52
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
While the hype the last three years or so is unprecedented, SS watches have been popular for a very long time. Vintage SS Rolex were trading well even during the recession. SS Daytona has seen the hype since around 1995, after about 50 years of being the worst seller in the pro model lineup. Hype/demand moves around. I hope it moves to something else soon. I liked the old days of trading regularly better.

They HYPE is not strictly SS either. PM Rolex prices are way up across the board. SUB LB for example is up about 8-10 K over two years ago. You could find minty used around 25K and BNIB from reseller around 27-28K just a couple years ago.
Agreed. And some of the solid YG Newman Daytonas from the early 70's fetch astronomical amounts just like their SS counterparts. Especially the real mint condition ones.
Old 24 October 2020, 04:06 AM   #53
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Honestly, a SS model is all that I can afford. Ok, that’s a lie, I can’t even afford that, but my grail is a PM piece, a WG (new) sub to be exact. I know mechanically it is no different then a SS, and being WG won’t even look any different, but wearing that heavy piece of fine metal on my wrist will be a reminder to me, a reminder I was able to achieve a goal. I know I will enjoy it.

Someday...
the sky dweller has a precious metal bezel. you lie!

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 04:24 AM   #54
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I see what you mean, but really not sure from outside a WIS perspective they would be so differentiated.

Would an SS and WG sub still fit those definitions above ?

The adornment, ego, jewellery, statement you’ve described about the gold sub is equally applicable i would argue by many Rolex wearers to an SS sub.
I would guess so because in reality only the owner would know the difference between a WG and SS. 99.9% of the world could not tell the difference. And the ego etc argument obviously works for ANY Rolex or high end watch.

But my point was about ONCE you make the determination to buy say, a Rolex Sub, then my initial criteria seems to fit.
Old 24 October 2020, 04:36 AM   #55
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
I would guess so because in reality only the owner would know the difference between a WG and SS. 99.9% of the world could not tell the difference. And the ego etc argument obviously works for ANY Rolex or high end watch.

But my point was about ONCE you make the determination to buy say, a Rolex Sub, then my initial criteria seems to fit.
I have no reason what so ever to think that the build quality of a SS Flipper Daytona is no different then a PM Rose Gold one.. Really you are buying what makes you happy and thats all that counts. What I am saying is the SS whining all has to do with its price.. You see more flexing of a SS Daytona by those whom got theirs from there trusted loyal rolex AD then you do of owners of PM Models of the same... I buy my watches on what I like and want and not what the market tells me..
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 05:00 AM   #56
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
I just do not get the fascination with a stainless steel watch except it was the cheapest watch to purchase from paticual watch companies and now they have turned into a flipper... I am not impressed by a stainless flipper myself and find it kind of silly actually.... They have only become popular when they can not be found for retail and at one time you could not give them away..
Quote:
What my take on this stainless flipper is that if you can snag one at MSRP, you have just scored a lifetime masterpiece..NAHHH Do not and will never buy into the stainless hype. I am not saying there is nothing at all wrong with a stainless steel watch but 99% of its craze is getting one at MSRP and how much more can I flip it for..
Quote:
If you are so keen on a ultimate stainless flipper, you can buy any amount of them you want for the right price. Look at Jomashop and DSW for instance. They have plenty of stainless flippers for everyone to go around.
Quote:
I have no reason what so ever to think that the build quality of a SS Flipper Daytona is no different then a PM Rose Gold one.. Really you are buying what makes you happy and thats all that counts. What I am saying is the SS whining all has to do with its price.. You see more flexing of a SS Daytona by those whom got theirs from there trusted loyal rolex AD then you do of owners of PM Models of the same... I buy my watches on what I like and want and not what the market tells me..
Anyone need a refill?
Knappo 1307 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 05:12 AM   #57
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I enjoy SS Rolex and I’ve never flipped one for a profit, but I’ve sold a few that didn’t work out.

PM isn’t for everyone just as SS isn’t for everyone, to each their own.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 05:38 AM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
the sky dweller has a precious metal bezel. you lie!
Darn! He caught me!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #59
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Anyone need a refill?
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:22 AM   #60
TK-710