The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2019, 12:43 AM   #1
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Hublot Classic Fusion Orlinski - Little Too Familiar?

Saying that Hublot has "borrowed" some AP design language is an understatement at best, but seeing this pop up with a polygon bezel seems to be getting awfully close to a complete shenanigan.

I get that they're trying to capitalize on the 15407 and it's variants, and maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to the current Hublot catalog that this surprises me. Round bezel with the exposed screws was close enough and one thing; now this?

Old 19 February 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
Cryten
"TRF" Member

That looks much better than most of what Hublot make......probably because it looks like an AP
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:23 AM   #3
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Saying that Hublot has "borrowed" some AP design language is an understatement at best, but seeing this pop up with a polygon bezel seems to be getting awfully close to a complete shenanigan.

I get that they're trying to capitalize on the 15407 and it's variants, and maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to the current Hublot catalog that this surprises me. Round bezel with the exposed screws was close enough and one thing; now this?

Hublot has their own style, and not comparable to AP or even other brands (such as RM with their new rectangle case) I own a Hublot and feel that they fill in a different segment that although their designs could be similar to a few brands, they have their own uniquness and customer base.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Yea I don’t get the Hublot bashing really. The origins of the company is pretty cool and they produce a unique watch. I’ve tried on a bunch and they are great watches. Is there some similarities to other watches? Sure, but then all watches are similar to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 04:17 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

obviously heavily inspired by AP - but as a stand alone watch it does look good.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:54 AM   #6
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
Hublot has their own style, and not comparable to AP or even other brands (such as RM with their new rectangle case)
They definitely do, and the work they do with mixing materials is absolutely fascinating. However, they do borrow heavily on other's design elements, as many other watch companies do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
Yea I don’t get the Hublot bashing really.
I'm curious as to what in my post you construed as bashing?
Old 19 February 2019, 10:21 AM   #7
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
They definitely do, and the work they do with mixing materials is absolutely fascinating. However, they do borrow heavily on other's design elements, as many other watch companies do.

I'm curious as to what in my post you construed as bashing?
He's talking about people in general and not you personally bashing Hublot per se. Ironic that the topic should revolve around derivative timepieces and manufacturers 'copying' others. Have you seen the new AP "Code line?' It looks sooo much like a Diesel, Police or Daniel Wellington watch. Funny that way.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:37 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It looks like an AP on steroids, pyramidic case looks interesting.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:33 PM   #9
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfighter View Post
He's talking about people in general and not you personally bashing Hublot per se. Ironic that the topic should revolve around derivative timepieces and manufacturers 'copying' others. Have you seen the new AP "Code line?' It looks sooo much like a Diesel, Police or Daniel Wellington watch. Funny that way.
The public bashing of Hublot has been around for years having owned a couple Hublots (still does) I personally do not mind. I actually find the bashing quite entertaining at times.

Although I have to say the ceramic classic fusion gets a lot of wrist time, watch is a robust tool/sports watch.

dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:59 PM   #10
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
The public bashing of Hublot has been around for years having owned a couple Hublots (still does) I personally do not mind. I actually find the bashing quite entertaining at times.

Although I have to say the ceramic classic fusion gets a lot of wrist time, watch is a robust tool/sports watch.

I as well own several Hublot watches and I'm not afraid to say that I like them a lot. I completely agree with your robust tool/sports watch assessment. They are built very well and can take punishment.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 09:57 PM   #11
PJ S
Banned

Someone hasn’t done any research before jumping to incorrect conclusions.
For a bit of background, spend some time looking at the original design which this variant stems from — this isn’t the first Orlinksi co-design, and part of an ongoing program (since 2014/15) where renowned artists within the Art world put their spin on certain Classic Fusion models.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:28 AM   #12
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to the current Hublot catalog that this surprises me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Someone hasn’t done any research before jumping to incorrect conclusions.
Quite possibly so - offered that option in the first post.

Interesting that your opinion is my opinion is incorrect, still looks pretty AP to me