The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 November 2013, 09:28 AM   #31
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=linesiders;4553190]Springer is taking some interesting notes about inserts, particularly GMT, from different points in time. There was a fat font and thin font 1675 insert in the 60s, red back.

The fat fonts have a unique shape in the fonts, particularly noticeable on the 8 where it squashes

I'm always thought the "Super Mega Fat" was its own generation of fat font, earlier than others, but Springer (IIRC) and some others have indicated that the Fat Fonts were all of the same but as they ghosted / faded the fatdeliciousness are more likely become more pronounced than later ones.

More common Fat Font

Other variations show more serif on the fonts. Not sure if this is specific my time or as some have indicated, relative to the condition of the tooling used to make the inserts.

Even other inserts might be more typical to fade to particular colors depending on when . For example some from the late 60s early 70s are more prone to fade a certain way - like this denim & purple I sold last spring (probably should have kept that one )

All of the above are considered Fat Fonts for GMT

Subs are an entirely different subject

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Lineside, you totally lost me with your post. The original post by Gmtjacob concerned fake inserts. What does my comment regarding fake inserts have to do with fat font/ thin font GMT bezel inserts? Did I post something that was incorrect?

Also you stated that, I'm always thought the "Super Mega Fat" was its own generation of fat font, earlier than others, but Springer (IIRC) and some others have indicated that the Fat Fonts were all of the same but as they ghosted / faded the fatdeliciousness are more likely become more pronounced than later ones." Maybe you can point out where I've made this comment since I don't ever recall stating that in this thread.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2013, 09:29 AM   #32
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Lineside, you totally lost me with your post. The guy was asking about fake inserts. What does my comment have to do with fat font/ thin font GMT bezel inserts?
Haha - sorry to be more clear, because it is getting harder to differentiate the fake inserts (like the fat hooked 2) it is better to learn some of the authentic inserts. I was also quoting the guy that posted above mine asking particulars about fonts relative to time periods, hence the Fat / Thin comparison.
Old 23 November 2013, 09:43 AM   #33
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
*** edited to clear up some confusion, one of the ways to better tell authentic and period correct is to learn what time periods inserts were likely to come from. Springer is taking some interesting notes about inserts, particularly GMT, from different points in time. There was a fat font and thin font 1675 insert in the 60s, red back.

The fat fonts have a unique shape in the fonts, particularly noticeable on the 8 where it squashes

I'm always thought the "Super Mega Fat" was its own generation of fat font, earlier than others, but Springer (IIRC) and some others have indicated that the Fat Fonts were all of the same but as they ghosted / faded the fatdeliciousness are more likely become more pronounced than later ones.

More common Fat Font

Other variations show more serif on the fonts. Not sure if this is specific my time or as some have indicated, relative to the condition of the tooling used to make the inserts.

Even other inserts might be more typical to fade to particular colors depending on when . For example some from the late 60s early 70s are more prone to fade a certain way - like this denim & purple I sold last spring (probably should have kept that one )

All of the above are considered Fat Fonts for GMT

Subs are an entirely different subject
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Haha - sorry to be more clear, because it is getting harder to differentiate the fake inserts (like the fat hooked 2) it is better to learn some of the authentic inserts. I was also quoting the guy that posted above mine asking particulars about fonts relative to time periods, hence the Fat / Thin comparison.
Got it now. Thanks for clearing this up.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 23 November 2013, 01:44 PM   #34
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
The AD's require you trade in your old bezel to get a new one. I have never thought of telling them it got lost. Has this worked for anyone?

Of course, they can't really tell you no, go find your lost bezel

I did it last year and added a Pepsi to my Coke for my 16710
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 02:47 AM   #35
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
Worked for me. Ive never had a problem. Most AD's will go out of their way to help their really good customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
You have no idea - how many inserts I have lost recently…..

RSC will notify your serial number, so you should not loose the same insert on and on ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Of course, they can't really tell you no, go find your lost bezel

I did it last year and added a Pepsi to my Coke for my 16710
I guess I need to loose one before my next trip to the AD.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2015, 07:37 AM   #36
Br_Lux
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
for all the experts, would this be fake or real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111693842586...6e87ac7c7&cp=1
Br_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 02:39 AM   #37
Danizzz
"TRF" Member

How to tell a fake bezel insert from authentic insert ?

I noticed that some back inserts are completely in red and some completely in blue. Is there any difference between those two type of of inserts?

Danizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 03:23 AM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Red backs were replaced by the blue backs. Blue backs first started to appear sometime during the early 1980s.

Old 2 February 2016, 03:24 AM   #39
Danizzz
"TRF" Member

Thanks springer didn't know that👍🏻
Danizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:07 AM   #40
Paulieb
"TRF" Member

Hi All!

I was having a rummage through my spares box & unearthed my collection of Submariner & GMT inserts I have been collecting (just incase the right watch turns up that needs an old bezel!) & wondered if anyone could please tell me what I have here?

Paulieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 01:03 AM   #41
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
very helpful thanks!
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote