The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2017, 05:00 AM   #31
Falstaff
"TRF" Member

Deaf Stan, me too, but the seller is either ignoring my emails, or something else is up....either way I'm going to keep his details under wraps a while longer just in case....given that I've agreed to meet his asking price, I'd be silly not to wait....while still looking elsewhere (though another watch is already in the offing)
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 03:08 AM   #32
Falstaff
"TRF" Member

Update....seller re-surfaced yesterday with another fairytale chapter in the saga.....had the watch authenticated as Everest Hlliary Tensing/purple Unicorn type, re-listed in Ebay, incredibly rare end-of-rainbow-unicorn....would now pull for £1450, up from £1100....new flowery description that also happens to be wrong (thanks R.W.T)

Apparently now sold after pulling from Ebay for £1850. And my name is Martha Lovecrest. So, either making it up (again) or someone paid way over the odds.

Supposedly now running within COSCs pec and serviced...no proof of either. No change there.

In short, a big thanks to R.W.T. for guiding me through this minefield with patience and expertise. In any case, I decided to take his advice and walk away. Seller just not worth it, nor the condition. Peace of mind more important to me, in this case (don't have money to throw around). Would happily spend a bit more from a buyer with decent rep...or at least not this guy..

I hope no-one here bought it at that price, or knows what it really is (not the model described). Most here seem fairly well clued-in.

If anyone *did* buy it from, feel free to contact me for an insight into what th seller is really like.

A lesson learned, and a pint for Tommy/R.W.T...
Old 7 August 2017, 05:26 AM   #33
Falstaff
"TRF" Member

...this watch is truly a bad spectator sport....re-listed on Ebay for £2600 BIN....then...you guessed it....pulled again...

I don't think I'd pay £500 for it now. God help the buyer, assuming there is one.
Old 7 August 2017, 08:55 AM   #34
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol, when I see one of these threads I just skip through til I find Tommy's answer, the only one that matters. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 09:52 PM   #35
Falstaff
"TRF" Member

....as I now realise. Morning Tundra kindly pointed me in his direction early on which saved me many headaches. Much thanks both.

...as a newbie there's always the suffering and rite-of-passage to be done first I guess... :)
Old 8 August 2017, 01:21 AM   #36
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Once again at the original price...considering the later bracelet had some value...and the dial...well the lume I'm not too keen on and the rest...well they made some PRETTY sketchy dials in the early 50's...some fonts that are genuine look like they were done by a 3rd grade with a crayon but without it in my hand off the watch...I'd never call it....but all things considered....at the original price...not a home run but tolerable...for the new asking price....crazy. The 6284 is a better watch because of the screw down crown and the bezel over the tropic crystal set up and I sold a very nice serviced one as I mentioned a year or so ago for 1200.00 USD with a good original 3 6 9 dial. It wasn't that this watch was so bad it's just that the price was pushing the stiff area and then he tried to say that a 6084 was a Hillary watch....and worth gazillions of dollars...when really...6098 is the Hillary watch and that's a whole different enchilada in the market place due if nothing else to the extra 2mm.

There are just easier watches to peg for less hassle and better price.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:31 AM   #37
Falstaff
"TRF" Member

cheers Tommy ....lesson learned...and lots of learning still to do.

(I've realised I don't know my ass from my elbow)