The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 August 2017, 12:08 AM   #1
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Some Vintage Rolex Concerns & Doubts

Hey Guys,

Been on this forum for a while now and realized I'm attracted to 5 and 4 Digit references more than the modern ones. I'm waiting for a Daytona 500 which most likely I will sell for a profit next year. Truth is, the Submariner is my grail.

So, that said, I want a vintage sub date, perhaps a 1680 and would like your help to clear some doubts, that are not necessarily about the watch per se.

Ill try to be as brief as possible and sorry if this has been asked before.

1) Service vs 5 digit. How often would I have to service it compared to the 5-6 years I service my YM.

2) Im no collector, I use, beat and enjoy my watches, from the office to the beach and just about anything in my way. Will a decent, clean 1680 hold up for this as my 5 digit YM has for the past 13 years?

3) How practical (service costs, replacement parts and robustness) will vintage Rolex be in 20 years? Yes, I know this is speculating but would love to hear some thoughts on this.

4) Anything special I should look out for when purchasing? Any recommendations on other references? No GMTs please.

Thank you all!

Btw, I blame the "everyday is a vintage day" thread for this, at least, thats what Im telling my wife.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 12:27 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
A 1680 is by no means different owning than a modern YM. As long as you make sure it is waterproof you can do whatever with it. Parts will be available as long as you live so there really isn't any problems if you want to go that path.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 02:07 AM   #3
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
A 1680 is by no means different owning than a modern YM. As long as you make sure it is waterproof you can do whatever with it. Parts will be available as long as you live so there really isn't any problems if you want to go that path.
Thank you! I don't know why, but Ive always had the impression that 4 digits are a bit more fragile and not a beatable as a 5 digit ref.

Old 4 August 2017, 02:22 AM   #4
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some Vintage Rolex Concerns & Doubts

1) same
2) that 1680 has been around for 40 or so years, it'll last a few more years!
3) hard to say, but hopefully it'll be strong. If not, hopefully you'll still love it regardless!
4) yes lots of things to look out for, too many to list. Post up before buying, we can help. Other refs--sea dweller or sub. And why are you a GMTaphobe? I'll be they grow on you as you see more and more photos of them.

Edit to add: I wear my 2.9 mil sub daily and for all activities. It's tough as nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 02:27 AM   #5
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
1) same
2) that 1680 has been around for 40 or so years, it'll last a few more years!
3) hard to say, but hopefully it'll be strong. If not, hopefully you'll still love it regardless!
4) yes lots of things to look out for, too many to list. Post up before buying, we can help. Other refs--sea dweller or sub. And why are you a GMTaphobe? I'll be they grow on you as you see more and more photos of them.

Edit to add: I wear my 2.9 mil sub daily and for all activities. It's tough as nails.

Thanks!!

I really like the GMT but I really don't need the complication and I use the timing bezel everyday, obviously to time unimportant things, but everyday

I'll start searching and will post any options that catch my eyes, I've been told Tokyo is a great place to find some great examples and I'm planning a trip soon there.

Old 4 August 2017, 03:46 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Thanks!!

I really like the GMT but I really don't need the complication and I use the timing bezel everyday, obviously to time unimportant things, but everyday

I'll start searching and will post any options that catch my eyes, I've been told Tokyo is a great place to find some great examples and I'm planning a trip soon there.
I use my GMT bezel to time quite often. Very simple maneuver by turning the bezel and aligning the triangle with the minute or hour hand.

The complication for the GMT 1675 is the same as found in the Sub 1680 with a couple more parts related to the the 24-hour hand.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 02:06 AM   #7
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I use my GMT bezel to time quite often. Very simple maneuver by turning the bezel and aligning the triangle with the minute or hour hand.

The complication for the GMT 1675 is the same as found in the Sub 1680 with a couple more parts related to the the 24-hour hand.
That's pretty clever, just like keeping track of date with a no date sub's bezel.

Old 6 August 2017, 12:24 AM   #8
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
I wear my 1680 Red Sub daily with the exception of swimming, for that I wear a modern Rolex. If that bothers you, go for a nice 16800 with maxi dial. Vintage looks with the piece of mind of a modern Rolex.
Old 6 August 2017, 04:29 AM   #9
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
The main concern would be the tritium since you used the term "beat" with the way you wear your watches...

understand, just by clapping your hands too hard at a concert or a hard enough knock on a door or countertop could crack the tritium or worse, cause tritium to flake off on the dial.

Service parts won't be available the rest of your life that I can say with confidence. They don't make certain parts anymore for my 6538 as well as ref 5510 to name a couple subs from the 50's.. Rolex will not make all parts forever, then you are forced to source original vintage parts which take a lot of time and money in an already dry market.

If you ever did need parts and service with rolex, you are looking at service parts that will ultimately effect the value and originality of the piece.

If you want a 1680 to wear as a beater with no concern, I would highly recommend seeking an already serviced luminova dialed 1680. You will get the best of both worlds, vintage look with durability of modern replacement parts. Then you can go crazy and wear it as you please without fear of devaluing the piece.

but most of the collectors I know, including myself, don't wear vintage pieces as beaters, because condition is paramount.

That is my advise.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 04:37 AM   #10
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I never understood the term beater. Every day watch is one thing and I don't mind wearing my vintage pieces daily. For times when I would need a 'beater' I just don't wear a watch at all. I don't need to know the time or feel pretty while swimming, doing sports or wrecking shit.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:18 AM   #11
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I never understood the term beater. Every day watch is one thing and I don't mind wearing my vintage pieces daily. For times when I would need a 'beater' I just don't wear a watch at all. I don't need to know the time or feel pretty while swimming, doing sports or wrecking shit.
^
^
^
+1 all over the above. I do have a Seiko or GShock for sports and wrecking sh*t. But I will never understand why folks wear $10,15,20k vintage pieces with abandon. I wear mine everyday to the office, hospital, around town. But always take it off if the chance is great to jack it up.

mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:53 AM   #12
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs.
I think a vintage sub might not be choice for me, although I'll keep looking into it. Perhaps a 16600 or a 16610lv might do the job better.

Thanks!

Old 8 August 2017, 01:34 AM   #13
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The movement 15xx series in the 4 digit watches is I would say and I think most watchmakers would agree...MORE robust than the 30xx or 31xx.

I don't like to see them abused but they pretty much run ... until they don't.

The cases...crystals...4 digit...models...not a whole lot of difference in strength and reliability there.

Those watches don't give much trouble....they just don't unless they are hammered and even then...they can be remarkably resilient and work very very well.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote