The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 April 2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Jshim
"TRF" Member

Avenger II failed auto-wind test

Hi guys,

Just looking for some thoughts on the below - I have an Avenger II that was purchased late-2013. I wore the watch most days and it always ran a bit fast and would require resetting once a week. I noted this with my dealer and sent it off for a maintenance service towards the end of the warranty period.

I have recently sent it off for a service again and had contact yesterday from Breitling saying that it has failed the auto-wind test and therefore is operating outside of the required tolerances therefore they have given a repair estimate.

Upon questioning what could have caused this Breitling have responded to say that this is due to wear & tear.

Is this something that anyone has heard of or does it sound reasonably plausible? I guess I feel that the watch never kept good time but whilst it was under warranty they couldn’t find anything wrong with it, how 3 years on has it failed on this test.

Thanks in advance.
Jshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Well if I understand your timeline, you bought a watch in 2013 with a two year warranty. If you sent it in at end of warranty time, that would be 2015. Would have come back with a one year service warranty that would have got you through 2016. Now it's 2019, outside of any warranty time, and you are saying it has an issue unrelated to the original problem years ago. Right?

So it's totally appropriate that you would get an estimate for needed service if they found a problem.

Wear and tear on a watch that being worn most of the time over years is a real thing, not shocked that you would need some maintenance, and since you have no warranty, a charge to you comes along with it.

Not sure if that helps, but that's how it seems to me and I'm pretty familiar with Breitling service stuff. Good luck!
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 02:12 PM   #3
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

the nice thing about an avenger 2 is that if the repair bill is over 2k - you're better off buying a new (slightly used) one for about the same $
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote