The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2019, 06:08 AM   #1
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Cartier Tank Americaine SS

I am just starting to think about getting a classic dress piece and the SS Tank Americaine is definitely high on my list. Along with a Reverso or possibly (but doubtful due to budget) a Calatrava.

Anyone familiar with this Tank have any advice on the size? I believe it comes in a Small, Medium and Large. I am nearly positive the Small will not work for me, but not sure if I should go with M or L.

I am 6 feet tall, 180 pounds and do not like oversized watches. For context, a Daytona fits me perfectly as does most 5 digit Rolex sport watches. The maxi cases on newer watches works for me but they are on the large end (as is my 15400 pictured in avatar).

I know I need to try one on, but if I find a screaming deal online, I may jump on it. Any suggestion on size for me?
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:16 AM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
You absolutely have to try it on before you buy it. No matter the size, Cartiers sit differently on everyone’s wrist.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:18 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
P.S., take a look at the relatively new Cartier Santos and Santos Dumont.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:55 AM   #4
mastersub
"TRF" Member

I also advise that you try the Americaine on. It has a narrower strap width that might influence your decision.
mastersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:02 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
the modern SS version protrudes a bit much on the back side.
thicker than expected.

i would consider the previous no date version in platinum, preowned for a bit more.

that said i just received my cintree and i am over the moon, i was wanting the cintree since i first seen one in 1990.

100 pieces of the cintree in platinum have just been released.
Old 15 February 2019, 11:01 AM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Really good advice from everyone. The more I think about it, I'm deciding I am pretty dead set on a Tank. Over a Reverso or Santos or anything else.

Need to learn the world of Tank. Not very familiar with all the models.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I tried on the large version a few months ago... we are similar builds, I’m 6’1” and 190 with a 7 inch wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:06 PM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Cc
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0FD717C0-03A9-48B8-BEAD-5ACFB3315676.jpeg (129.9 KB, 403 views)
Old 17 February 2019, 02:52 AM   #9
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Between this and the reverso, I would go reverso. Gotta try it on. Has a lot more horological history and classy as hell!

Granted I was in the same debate and was thinking about the tank too, so I know where you’re coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Agree on the Reverso. It has got more going than the Tank, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2019, 06:59 AM   #11
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would definitely choose a Reverso over a Cartier, as I think it is a higher quality watch and I like the looks and history better. That written, if you want a Cartier Tank, you want a Cartier Tank. For the SS Tank Americaine, I think the Medium works best unless you have a really big wrist and/or are a really big guy.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think it’s actually insane how people are posting that the reverso has more “history” than the tank in this thread. If you enjoy the design of the reverso better than the tank that’s great, but there is no way that it has more “history”.

The tank is a truly iconic watch, conceived in 1917 and in continuous production since, worn by powerful and elite clientele all over the world. The reverso is a polo watch that was popular briefly pre-WWII, fell out of favor and out of production and was then reimagined in the 1990s.

Saying the reverso has more historical value than the tank is tantamount to saying that the Tudor black bay has more history than a Rolex submariner because it’s based on a design from 1954...

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:18 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
I think it’s actually insane how people are posting that the reverso has more “history” than the tank in this thread. If you enjoy the design of the reverso better than the tank that’s great, but there is no way that it has more “history”.

The tank is a truly iconic watch, conceived in 1917 and in continuous production since, worn by powerful and elite clientele all over the world. The reverso is a polo watch that was popular briefly pre-WWII, fell out of favor and out of production and was then reimagined in the 1990s.

Saying the reverso has more historical value than the tank is tantamount to saying that the Tudor black bay has more history than a Rolex submariner because it’s based on a design from 1954...

I don't really disagree with you regarding the classic Tank and it does certainly predate the Reverso by two decades, although the Tank Americaine is another watch entirely. I wrote that I like the history of the Reverso better because I personally find the idea of a reversible watch in a steel carriage for playing polo to be a bit more interesting than a gold watch designed after a tank and given to Pershing, although that's quite a story as well. Regardless, both watches are full of history and both are owned by Richemont today. I don't think someone would go wrong with either brand.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:46 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I don't really disagree with you regarding the classic Tank and it does certainly predate the Reverso by two decades, although the Tank Americaine is another watch entirely. I wrote that I like the history of the Reverso better because I personally find the idea of a reversible watch in a steel carriage for playing polo to be a bit more interesting than a gold watch designed after a tank and given to Pershing, although that's quite a story as well. Regardless, both watches are full of history and both are owned by Richemont today. I don't think someone would go wrong with either brand.
Great commentary.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Love the Tank. You can pull the large off no problem.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 05:49 PM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Cartier stepped up their game after dropping the must line. Their quartz movements are from Frederic Piguet and are pretty good. Mechanical is where I would stop, I was disappointed with how cheaply made these movements are, considering their price...

And for the love of God don't get a JLC Reverso in smaller size with the 846, a $50 Seiko 5 outperforms this movement in terms of durability and accuracy. I believe the larger models with a different movement run much better.

People often hate on Rolex, but honestly they make some of the best movements out there...

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 08:25 AM   #17
loanrngr
"TRF" Member

Medium and Large are Automatic Movements. Small is Quartz.
loanrngr is offline   Reply With Quote