The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 July 2020, 02:53 PM   #1
rolexsf40
"TRF" Member

Advice for buying first vintage rolex

Hi all!

I've been in the market for a 34mm oyster perpetual white dial (silver as a second preference) as a gift to myself for my 40th bday.

My budget has been around $3K. I also would like maybe a more recent year as opposed to something say in the 60's or 70's since I would like to be able to swim with this watch without worrying about it.

While I've been looking several times a day at the rolex sales forums (anybody else do that/) I haven't found anything that matches my criteria.

I've found a couple of listings on ebay that I would really appreciate thoughts on from the experts here in terms of buying any of these at all, which one is preferable model given my criteria, authenticity and of course seller (buy the seller I've learned thanks to TRF). From what I could research on TRF these sellers have either no feedback appearing here or generally positive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-DATE-...A/143662702020

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Oyste...h/114330295367

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Rolex-...0/124276037465

Thanks all in advance to this wonderful community that I hope to join officially very soon.
rolexsf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 09:24 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

with a fresh plexi, crown seals and cb gasket, I wouldn't worry about swimming with a vintage 34mm. my vintage watches go kayaking/to the lake and the only reason I ever take them off swimming is because of the bracelet. when they're on nato's I don't bother to take them off though. You can't go wrong with any 34mm really. There is a 15000 OP Date for $2399 with a diamond bezel. would be quite easy to source a smooth rolex bezel, and bracelet and still be around your $3000 mark, and could probably get 3-500 for the used diamond bezel i'd imagine.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=15000

the buy the seller notion is a bit overhyped. Most of the watches i've purchased off ebay have been from relatively newer members looking to sell off some high priced items. With the internet it's pretty easy to be a bit of a sleuth and see if there username is associated with any other media sites. then you can occasionally find out a bit of personal information. then bam you're checking out their facebook, last holiday party, finding out their family and friends and then you realize that they are a real human, with a life, and as long as you use paypal you're pretty well protected. so not much risk in buying online anymore

also don't just buy something because it fits your budget and can be had now. Deals come up all the time but you have to be quick. when I was shopping for my last watch on ebay I got up to grab a glass of water while I thought about a watch, I thought it was a good deal, and it was gone when I got back. there's so many people watching listings.

To find the best deals, play with ebays search parameters. use keywords. look at the newest listings, the stuff that has been on for more than a day or two has already been viewed by thousands of people. anything that's on there for over a few weeks generally hasn't sold for a reason... it's full blown retail or above. my go to is to look at all the buy it now's, look at new listings, and when something pops up with a reasonable BIN w/ Best offer option, I lowball the hell out of it, and 95% of the time it doesn't work, generally they'll come back with a discount even if you do offer something ridiculous. Remember Ebay charges sellers lots of fees, so you might have better luck finding a deal on here or other watch related forums. but it's really all a crapshoot anymore. early bird definitely gets the worm though
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 03:10 AM   #3
rolexsf40
"TRF" Member

Got it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hoping someone with has some comments on the 3 links I've found so far.
Old 2 August 2020, 04:16 PM   #4
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsf40 View Post
Got it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hoping someone with has some comments on the 3 links I've found so far.

Not an expert on the OP models but the top one looks the best to me. Also, it may be unpolished but its hard to tell from the photos since they are low res.

Ebay + paypal should be very secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 09:56 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopeluche View Post
Not an expert on the OP models but the top one looks the best to me. Also, it may be unpolished but its hard to tell from the photos since they are low res.

Ebay + paypal should be very secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
definitely been polished, still not a horrible price.

the OP for 2250 wasn't bad, generally any running Rolex with a 15xx series movement under $2,300 w/ bracelet you can't go wrong.

third ones at 3200 with the reserve still not met, better off with the first one i'd imagine
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:54 PM   #6
VincentG
"TRF" Member

Since you stated a preference for a white dial and you are not looking for a 4 digit plastic crystal the 1st link with the box and original papers, looks like your watch. Having boxes and papers will always be a good thing and it is the model you are looking for and the seller looks legit, would not surprise me at all if he has a bricks and mortar place in Miami he has quite a large inventory up for sale. Good luck with the purchase, whatever you ultimately choose.
VincentG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:18 AM   #7
rolexsf40
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. So helpful and appreciate it. Agree the first link is probably my best bet. Hopefully can get it at a lower price. I’ve seen 114200’s go for the same price here on TRF so hopefully can get this one lower.
Old 10 December 2020, 05:48 AM   #8
jbglx
"TRF" Member

Did you try here :

https://www.chrono24.com.ar/rolex/oy...goal_suggest=1
jbglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 02:38 AM   #9
platowilliams
"TRF" Member

did you purchase through Ebay? I am considering my first purchase through eBay soon
platowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:07 AM   #10
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I do buy on eBay. It can be challenging. I think it's important to know your own limitations when buying on eBay. I don't think I'd ever buy a sport Rolex there, the prices are all over $5000, which is a lot of money to me for a watch that might not be 100% correct. There are so many variations, in dials, in bezels, date-wheels, bracelets, I am simply not knowledgeable enough and want the reassurance of buying from a reputable vendor.