ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 August 2020, 03:30 AM   #1
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
RIP Chrono24

Here is the email I received today:

Dear Chrono24 dealer,

We would like to inform you that we will be temporarily charging a 7.5% sales surcharge, to be paid by the buyer, effective immediately.

Our philosophy has always been to run Chrono24 in a profitable manner that is sustainable in the long term.

Unfortunately, we have been confronted with some major changes on very short notice, including increased payment fees, changes to our US tax structure, and an increase in warranty-related refunds.

To maintain a positive gross margin and not lose money on every transaction, we have decided to implement a 7.5% sales fee for buyers in the United States. Dealer fees will remain unchanged for now, given that we already increased your fees earlier this year.

To keep market prices competitive, we will be waiving the buyer sales fee for all Trusted Checkout transactions that already include sales tax and bear the costs on our end. Please note that the sales tax must be applied during the Trusted Checkout process for the fee to be waived.

We understand the difficulties associated with temporary additional fees, but we were left with no other option at this time.

We are working hard to reduce costs so that we can eliminate the sales fee within the next few months.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to call or email your personal contact.

Kind regards,
Your Chrono24 Team
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:31 AM   #2
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

That will be fun when I have a customer checking out buying a 90k patek lol
Old 1 August 2020, 03:36 AM   #3
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

If all other options, charge USA taxes, people will get used to it, I don’t like the eBay taxes; I think is an abuse to pay sales taxes on 60 year old watches; but that’s were we are now.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:38 AM   #4
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I just bought a bracelet for 2K and it came from Germany. I got hit with a 11.5% import tax/fee. Then add that 7.5% and its going to start adding up where people wont buy from overseas anymore.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:42 AM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I really don’t have an opinion on the tax issue, but my opinion of Chrono 24 is abysmal. A year ago, I went on their website, found a limited edition Seiko I wanted for a good price (in Germany if I recall) and (I thought) purchased it. I put in my CC info, shipping address, everything. The following day I received an Email from the “seller,” explaining that he would not sell me the watch, shipping costs to the US were too high. ? ? ? Uhm.... really? Never again from Chrono 24.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 04:13 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
If all other options, charge USA taxes, people will get used to it, I don’t like the eBay taxes; I think is an abuse to pay sales taxes on 60 year old watches; but that’s were we are now.
I don't like eBay sales when I am buying from outside of the country, let alone out of State (CA)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 04:53 AM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I believe these auction/specialty sites know they have people by the short hairs and are going to "tax" the sh!t out of you. They feel peoples choices are limited, and "Hey I'm going to capitalize on it!" I for one will not be visiting those sites.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 06:55 AM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

the thing about these taxes being imposed is that we were supposed to declare them on our taxes, and how many people actually declared their online purchases and paid the sales tax on it at the end of the year? If you answered yes, I'd have to say you're full of $*@#. it was fun while it lasted but anyone with half a brain knew that eventually uncle sam was going to come for his money one way or another. it sounds like they're just charging a flat 7.5% until they can get a proper tax rate system in place.

still cheaper than selling on ebay by 7%, my guess is they aren't going anywhere.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 06:59 AM   #9
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I believe these auction/specialty sites know they have people by the short hairs and are going to "tax" the sh!t out of you. They feel peoples choices are limited, and "Hey I'm going to capitalize on it!" I for one will not be visiting those sites.....
they don't get to keep the tax money, the government finally stepped in and said we're charging you based off of sales whether you collect it from your customers or not.

It's about leveling the playing field. when I can get free 2day shipping, generally save a few dollars, And then another 6% on top of it, why would I shop in store?

now I might save a few dollars, but have to wait a few days. VS buying in store and getting the convenience for when I really do need something in a pinch. it's definitely pushed me to shop local more often and I hope it encourages others as well. I feel like now that it's generally less than 10% difference in price, I usually opt to shop B&M
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:03 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Never bought directly from C24, just see the dealer's name on the listing and buy direct (sometime for less too :) ).

Have also done this for eBay as well.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:11 AM   #11
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I really don’t have an opinion on the tax issue, but my opinion of Chrono 24 is abysmal. A year ago, I went on their website, found a limited edition Seiko I wanted for a good price (in Germany if I recall) and (I thought) purchased it. I put in my CC info, shipping address, everything. The following day I received an Email from the “seller,” explaining that he would not sell me the watch, shipping costs to the US were too high. ? ? ? Uhm.... really? Never again from Chrono 24.
I had the exact thing happen to me on Chrono 24. Several other times, a dealer has represented they had a watch, spent several days negotiating back and forth, let me pay, and then told me they would have to attempt to source the watch. When I was understandable bothered by this, they canceled the transaction immediately. But then you can't warn other buyers through feedback if the transaction isn't completed.

I never went back. This new policy ensures I never will.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:28 AM   #12
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Chrono24 is a great place to get a sense of what pre-owned pieces are worth before you try buy or sell elsewhere. Also, it's been a great place to browse watches that are seemingly for sale on eBay or directly from the same dealers websites. That's about as far as my involvement with them will go and there's a very good chance this move will make others do the same. We'll see how this goes for them in time.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:30 AM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
ha. yeah. saw this.

no way they survive this.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:47 AM   #14
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Never bought directly from C24, just see the dealer's name on the listing and buy direct (sometime for less too :) ).

Me too. I have to used Chrono24 on many different occasions to find the watch I wanted from the dealer I wanted yet I have never one time checked out through their system. I most definitely will never do that now.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:00 AM   #15
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Chrono24 is a great place to get a sense of what pre-owned pieces are worth before you try buy or sell elsewhere. Also, it's been a great place to browse watches that are seemingly for sale on eBay or directly from the same dealers websites. That's about as far as my involvement with them will go and there's a very good chance this move will make others do the same. We'll see how this goes for them in time.
Yes and no.
There are many postings on Chrono, but about only 30% of them actually have the watch in hand. Many just blindly put stock photos then go fishing after an inquiry. So because of that lots of prices for sale are not the best reference.
Old 1 August 2020, 08:13 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Yes and no.
There are many postings on Chrono, but about only 30% of them actually have the watch in hand. Many just blindly put stock photos then go fishing after an inquiry. So because of that lots of prices for sale are not the best reference.
It's a cess pool.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 08:18 AM   #17
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes and no.
Thays good to know! Yet another reason I'll never buy a piece directly off Chrono24. It's interesting because when I traded my Explore II towards my GMT Master II at a very well known brick and mortar dealer in Toronto he price referenced on there as I sat in the office with him.

Certainly food for thought as my hunt for a Breitling begins.
Old 1 August 2020, 08:21 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Thays good to know! Yet another reason I'll never buy a piece directly off Chrono24. It's interesting because when I traded my Explore II towards my GMT Master II at a very well known brick and mortar dealer in Toronto he price referenced on there as I sat in the office with him.

Certainly food for thought as my hunt for a Breitling begins.
You can eliminate the ones by selecting available immediately.

I would never suggest chrono24.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 11:31 AM   #19
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
ha. yeah. saw this.

no way they survive this.
I agree
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 12:02 PM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
You can eliminate the ones by selecting available immediately.

I would never suggest chrono24.
To me it's a bit crazy this is even an option Very good to know, nonetheless. I'll much rather buy it from a seller who already has the piece.

With purchasing watches having so many barriers these days it's a true shame to see platforms like this operating as they are. The true enthusiasts suffer and hopefully my next watch will be the last. Ok, that's wishful thinking but the thrill of the chase should be fun and not stressful.
Old 1 August 2020, 12:06 PM   #21
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
It only served as a price reference before. Lately it doesn't even serve as that. Good riddance to it.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 12:12 PM   #22
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Same
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #23
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
they don't get to keep the tax money, the government finally stepped in and said we're charging you based off of sales whether you collect it from your customers or not.

It's about leveling the playing field. when I can get free 2day shipping, generally save a few dollars, And then another 6% on top of it, why would I shop in store?

now I might save a few dollars, but have to wait a few days. VS buying in store and getting the convenience for when I really do need something in a pinch. it's definitely pushed me to shop local more often and I hope it encourages others as well. I feel like now that it's generally less than 10% difference in price, I usually opt to shop B&M
Chrono24 doesn't see any revenue from sales, so why would they put the 7.5% tax out there or get taxed by the goverment ? I believe the post from Chrono said "we" are implementing a tax. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 11:43 PM   #24
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Exactly...I do the same. Best way to go about it, IMO.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 12:57 AM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Just use watchrecon to reference prices.

Chrono24 is full of ghost listings.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #26
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
This is why watches and bitcoins are destined for one another :)

I've bought a few things on Chrono24 (hard to find pieces like my 15190sp) but mainly from Europe and Japan. Hopefully those still stick around since if you can stand the wait, the PITA of customs, some deals are still somewhat fair.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 01:39 AM   #27
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Quote:
Yes and no.

Which is why sometimes you’re actually better off buying from a “private seller” as the private seller typically has the watch on hand selling from their own collection.

As a large online shop is the one shopping around for a source they can hopefully offload with some amount of margin.
Old 2 August 2020, 01:47 AM   #28
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
My experience with Chrono24 was fantastic. The watch was on hand, I negotiated a price, seller agreed, and the watch was in my parcel locker 24 hours later.

My purchase date was Monday July 27. The OP had posted his message yesterday July 31 so maybe my purchase just slid in under the wire before they changed sales policies?

There was no sales tax, no shipping fees, and package was insured.
How can that not be considered as just awesome? Who else does this ?
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 02:41 AM   #29
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
oh no, i love chrono24. you get some safety with the escrow service but at very reasonable fees, unlike ebay. but this will change things a good bit.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 05:29 AM   #30
Keadog
"TRF" Member

Let me know when "temporary" ends. My guess is never.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote