The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 March 2019, 08:32 PM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Should Rolex Follow Seiko's Lead

Many here may know of the recent limited edition Seiko Alpinist. You went online, were hopefully one of the ~2000 people able to get one. Watch arrives in a few days. Of course some will be sold for profit, yet that is free market capitalism and there's no way to stop those activities. So with the reality of free market capitalism...

With all the ongoing problems with Rolex ADs, the illusion of 'lists', etc Perhaps Rolex should follow the lead of the recent Seiko Alpinist where Rolex releases a 'hot' watch and offers it online for sale. Watches are sent out accordingly as stock is available. If current only stock is depleted, you can also ask to be notified via e-mail when there is more availability for purchase.

Rolex could limit one per household address, plus Rolex makes all the profits to help their wonderful ongoing causes and sports activities. This also eliminates the questionable activities many here seem to be dealing with with the illusion of lists, needing to buy things from an AD you DO NOT want to get something you do want, etc.

Perhaps it is time for Rolex to change their old-school retail business model for something more modern. It also will enable Rolex more financial benefits to help their excellence in supporting various arts, exploration, sports, etc.

PS: Rolex could send some of these 'hot watches' to dealers as well for their 'VIP lists', yet also make examples available online for those who desire one / avoid the current ongoing AD problems.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I'm not saying it's either a good or a bad idea.

But allocating watches in this way would negatively impact the brand's perceived luxury status, which is why I couldn't see this happening in the foreseeable future.
Old 8 March 2019, 08:41 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

While i understand your old-school thinking of perception, many luxury goods from Louis Vuitton, Hermes, and others are sold direct online. Heck, you can buy luxury ltd ed. cars online nowadays. Modern times, modern solutions.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 8 March 2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Even better idea -- online auction on the hot watch))

Ps.
Online trading hot watch is a waste of time. Gone through all the hell with Omega Speedy Tuesday.
Old 8 March 2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
While i understand your old-school thinking, many luxury goods from Louis Vuitton and others are sold direct online. Heck, you can buy luxury ltd ed. cars online nowadays.
Sure, I'm aware of that. My point was based partly on the fact that Rolex is a conservative company. So even if it's a great idea, I can't see them doing it. Lots of companies have come a cropper because they continued to do what always worked for them and didn't change with the times. Perhaps it will happen to Rolex too? Perhaps not.
Old 8 March 2019, 09:10 PM   #6
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If Rolex does this, will they finally gain the same high level of prestige and worldwide luxury status that Seiko has achieved?

There are already enough threads here about whether tigh supply is good/bad, planned/unplanned, real/imaginary or fair/unfair. A hot model is the only good thing out there for an AD. He can turn a watch sale into a $100,000 jewelry bundle sale.

Anyhow, I'll just leave it there, it's all in a dozen other threads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 09:20 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The online process only works if you have supply of the watch. The LE models being sold online by many companies just sets up speculation with many buying the watches for resale. If Rolex would sell the watches and could deliver then it would be a game changer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 09:58 PM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Should Rolex Follow Seiko's Lead

No offense, but I think this is a terrible idea and would be a disaster, and make “hot” watches even harder to get at MSRP. It eliminates the relationship and human part of the industry, and the system would no doubt be manipulated by a handful of those sophisticated enough to do so.

PS, while you can buy some seikos on line from seiko USA, you cannot buy a GS online from the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:05 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Kinda like entering a giveaway here

Imagine all the complaints then
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Brew
"TRF" Member

These "problems" you mention, do they happen to exist outside of TRF? I'm guessing Rolex doesn't share your view their "problems."
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 01:34 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
These "problems" you mention, do they happen to exist outside of TRF? I'm guessing Rolex doesn't share your view their "problems."

Old 12 March 2019, 02:31 AM   #12
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Rolex wisely listens to its own counsel in marketing and research strategy.
It also listens to its staff , the RSCs, and its customers. Its hard to perceive
its successful watchmaking history as problematical for anyone but its rivals.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 03:42 AM   #13
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I don’t think it would work:
1/ Seiko sold it through a third party vendor: Hodinkee. And looking at eBay, lot’s of grey-dealers got a few.
2/ problem is time zone. Some countries would have a clear advantage over others, so fairness would be an issue.
3/even with a 1 per person limit it would be very easy for grey dealers to get several
watches, by hiring individuals to buy them for them.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 09:08 AM   #14
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
I hate that AD’s will hide watches or be discerning under the guise of “have you spent enough money to get access to the good stuff”, but with the shameless flipping of Batmans recently I have come to a quiet understanding of why they proceed the way they do.
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 12:30 PM   #15
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I totally do not agree with the way Seiko released this watch. They chose to not give the watch to their own Boutique/AD"s to sell and gave it a online publication/shill tank.

It seemed like Seiko was chasing the buck on the hondokee hype machine.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 10:34 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Part of the problem is that stores with a Rolex boutique are not providing fair access. Seiko gave fair access for the supply offered. Obvious Rolex would have multiple production runs, and you could opt to be alerted via email or text message when then next batch is released for sale.

Old 17 March 2019, 10:35 PM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I totally do not agree with the way Seiko released this watch. They chose to not give the watch to their own Boutique/AD"s to sell and gave it a online publication/shill tank.

It seemed like Seiko was chasing the buck on the hondokee hype machine.

Totally agree - these on-line releases (Omega included) are just feeding the frenzy in these strange times. There have been many threads on TRF asking if Rolex should get rid of ADs and sell on-line, and this is a good reminder of how distastrous that would be for consumers.

Old 17 March 2019, 10:39 PM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Part of the problem is that stores with a Rolex boutique are not providing fair access. Seiko gave fair access for the supply offered. Obvious Rolex would have multiple production runs, and you could opt to be alerted via email or text message when then next batch is released for sale.

The “desirable” models would be sold out by the time you checked your email. Resellers would adapt by installing tech and adapting their businesses to ensure they get them all.