The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #1
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Who's Buying the Gold SD?

I thought I'd never see the day, gold in a SD... So who is buying one? And by who I mean are you the kind of WIS that likes TT gold sport models like the Sub/GMT/Daytona etc. or are you buying a TT for the first time only because its a SD? In other words, did Rolex just make a reason to bring in new TT gold buyers who otherwise would never consider buying a TT gold watch?
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 02:33 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

when it comes in platinum....maybe. If its going to be a tool watch in PM might as well do it in a white metal so you can be totally extravagant and not look like you are wearing a PM watch with a helium escape valve, divers extension, and a glidelock clasp.... and loose all credibility

Purely as a TT watch. Its nice. Its the medium sub after all, and the small sub looks fine in TT
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 02:40 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
not at 16k. there is better value in tt, primarily a skydweller, submariner, or datejust.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #4
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
the TT SD is getting a lot of heat here on the forums but I am guessing to the general public, a lot of those people are thinking damn, this watch is badass, I want it!

It's bigger, bolder and will have a lot of wrist presence and the average Rolex, non WIS, buyer will be interested in that.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:00 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
the TT SD is getting a lot of heat here on the forums but I am guessing to the general public, a lot of those people are thinking damn, this watch is badass, I want it!

It's bigger, bolder and will have a lot of wrist presence and the average Rolex, non WIS, buyer will be interested in that.
so does the tt ym2....

like one poster said get ready for a TT DSSD.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:04 AM   #6
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
The SD43 changes, such as the cyclops, seem to make a lot more sense now that the TT has come out.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:04 AM   #7
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
God, I hope they don't Destroy the DSSD and make a TT.
Weinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:07 AM   #8
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Like it better than other TT offerings...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...06#post9461906
Old 22 March 2019, 03:10 AM   #9
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

We're also a group that tends to skew towards prizing "tool" watches made in SS. I totally get the frustration with this piece in TT among the WIS community. I mentioned in another thread that I thought this release was a bit lazy and uninspiring on Rolex's part. While I do not own a SD, I've always appreciated it's place in the line-up as the Sub's larger, more expensive big brother that only comes in steel. I am sure if you had an AD where the SD and Sub SS were sitting in a display case right next to each other, most non-WIS folks would just go for the Sub. They'd think they look pretty similar but believe the meaningful price increase for the SD is worth the increased size. If you put of us crazies in the same store, I am guessing a much higher percentage would go for the SD if we had the choice.

Commercially speaking, I think this could do decently well for Rolex. We've reached a point where sometimes I stop by my ADs and they don't even have TT Subs in the display case. Pure conjecture, but if I had to guess I think a decent chunk of the sales for this piece will be from people who likely did not walk into a AD looking for this particular watch. Maybe they want a TT Sub because it's a Sub and has some flash to it. Perhaps that day the AD doesn't have any available and the customer sees this instead -- all of a sudden they have a bigger watch on their wrist (bigger = better! am I right? ) and they're happy.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
so does the tt ym2....

like one poster said get ready for a TT DSSD.
You heard it here first buddy
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Remember, we all call it years ago with the release of the SD43. It is the Sub XL. Forget the hardcore image of the SD of years past, that trophy went to the DSSD. Fast forward and we all were proven that Rolex also views the SD the way we interpreted it years back. All Rolex watches are tougher than their owners so "tool watch" only applies to the owners romantic dream of their equipment.
There is nothing wrong with a Sub XL as larger guys wanted a 42mm dive watch. The TT SD43 just gives them more options. Gold doesn't take away any of its toughness. Gold is actually more inert than SS. This forum walks around with SS blinders on. If Rolex really knows what they are doing, then they also have confirmed that TT watches are the future and on the rise. You dont have to read the tea leaves too close to know the SS fashion wasnt gonna last forever. Economy is good and the use of more PM is showing it.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:14 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You heard it here first buddy
at least rolex didnt have the audacity to make the helium escape value gold. that woulda been epic.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:15 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when it comes in platinum....maybe. If its going to be a tool watch in PM might as well do it in a white metal so you can be totally extravagant and not look like you are wearing a PM watch with a helium escape valve, divers extension, and a glidelock clasp.... and loose all credibility

Purely as a TT watch. Its nice. Its the medium sub after all, and the small sub looks fine in TT
Actually I really want a PT DSSD. Wouldn't even need dive weights.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:20 AM   #14
epicurus
"TRF" Member

I wish i wore gold. Its growing on me
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:24 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
at least rolex didnt have the audacity to make the helium escape value gold. that woulda been epic.

Please don't give them any ideas

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2019, 03:28 AM   #16
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I don’t understand why the TT SD seems so incredulous. There are already gold subs and it’s not like anyone could ever dive below 300M anyway so what’s the difference? What am you missing?
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:36 AM   #17
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
I don’t understand why the TT SD seems so incredulous. There are already gold subs and it’s not like anyone could ever dive below 300M anyway so what’s the difference? What am you missing?

With the TT and cyclops, it’s basically a TT Sub with a greater depth rating. To me, it’s lost the SD DNA.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We will get over it eventually

The SD was always only available in SS for 50 years plus. Call me old fashioned, but I thought that was kind of part of its heritage and charm. One of the last of the true toolwatches. Yes there will be those that will argue it hasn’t been a toolwatch since going ceramic etc ... but to me that’s how I thought of it.

I guess that only leaves the Explorer and the Submariner ... maybe these go TT next year
Old 22 March 2019, 03:39 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i like it as much as any TT watch. im hung up on it being a sea dweller. Most people won't care and its a nice TT watch no doubt.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 March 2019, 03:40 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
because it was more tooly (is that a word?) than even a sub... now it isn't. Doesnt matter to most people i suppose
Old 22 March 2019, 03:41 AM   #21
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'd consider it, but already have a tt Sub Black bezel and dial.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:45 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Won’t fit me and the chnr looks better in TT. I agree to the general public it may appeal.
We are so niche here.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:46 AM   #23
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
because it was more tooly (is that a word?) than even a sub... now it isn't. Doesnt matter to most people i suppose

Never really understood watches rated >300M. Kind of like having a nuclear arsenal that can destroy the world 700x over. Sure. You could. But after 1x what’s the point?

Unless there are other sources of pressure besides depth. Like you could wash a DSSD with a jet wash whereas a sub may struggle. I guess that would make a pretty cool video. I’d do it myself but I don’t have a SD/DSSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:54 AM   #24
mangoseed
Banned

I would like to see the helium escape valve on a YG case, but why not the DSSD? What puzzles me about the SD43 in general is that the only differences are a cyclops and a red line of text.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:57 AM   #25
tng11
"TRF" Member

Just got off the phone with my AD and they told me that they got their first call about the TT SD43 this afternoon. Their phones were being blown up yesterday and today over the new BLNR, but only one call about the TT SD.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:59 AM   #26
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

This is the day Rolex stopped becoming a serious tool watch brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:59 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Just got off the phone with my AD and they told me that they got their first call about the TT SD43 this afternoon. Their phones were being blown up yesterday and today over the new BLNR, but only one call about the TT SD.
when that one guy finds out he was the only call he won't want it anymore.

Its how this works so lets all just admit it
Old 22 March 2019, 04:01 AM   #28
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I really like the SD43TT but I'm going to wait for a full GOLD SD43.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:02 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Thanks for ratting me out Tom
Old 22 March 2019, 04:03 AM   #30
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
This is the day Rolex stopped becoming a serious tool watch brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I disagreed, I invited you to take the new SD43 to the Antartic and proof if work or not in a risk enviroment. Are MUCH better now than before, in my opinion.

If the conclusion is that Rolex stopped being a serious watchmaker because it put gold in the SD, it was never serious. The next picture is not a modern watch (very ugly buy the way) :
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote