The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Volyc
"TRF" Member

Wants to buy used 15202ST. Need guidance

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. Hoping you guys could help answer my questions.

I stumbled upon this beauty (can't post image yet) last week as I was recommended by a friend and I'm really interested to buy the watch. I found huge scratch on the bracelets. Hoping I can find some answers here in the forum.

1. Is it good idea to polish 15202ST? Do you think it will lower its price value significantly? I know that some brands should NOT be polished at all, but I don't know much about AP.

2. Instead of polishing, is there any other solution? Is it possible to just replace that 1 plate of the bracelet? I don't mind a few dents here and there, but that scratch really bothers me.

3. Is it possible to replace the bracelet altogether? Will it affect it's values somehow?

4. Regarding the warranty, I was told that its 2 years warranty had recently expired just a couple of weeks ago. As far as I know, AP has 3 years warranty. Is this 3 years warranty new for certain models? The AP 15202ST was first bought in 2016.

Thank you
Volyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:55 PM   #2
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Posting pics would offer you the most return in advice on your situation. You can always go to a third party image hosting site and post the link in a reply.

Replacing the bracelet is possible and should not depreciate the value of the watch, however it may get expensive. I'm not sure how much it costs to purchase a new 15202st bracelet but I would imagine somewhere between 6-9K USD. I'm sure other members will have the answer to this.

As far as polishing goes, it will depreciate the value without question, but it also depends on how much of it has been polished and the outcome of the polish. I would strongly recommend you to only let AP do the polishing on any AP pieces. After reading many horror stories on the forum, I would never let anyone besides AP do the polishing.

Another possible solution if the scratch is really deep and is only on one link, you could always replace the link, but I think one link is ~$500USD.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:17 PM   #3
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
Scratches are inevitable (especially for 15202) if you plan on wearing the watch. If anything, buying it used will help you come to terms with it from the onset and move on -- you will enjoy wearing it way more. I wouldn't recommend polishing or replacing the bracelet unless it's just going to sit in a safe thereafter.
MrPorter_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Tay821
"TRF" Member

As long as you have some wrist awareness you should be fine. I've had mine ofr over a month now and have worn it every other day and the bracelet is surprisingly resilient against scratching from my desk...I though it was going to be a disaster with swirls. I'm very pleased and the fact that I could stare at the color variations of the dial all day make up for any nick it may endure
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:37 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It is OK to let AP polish this back up to new spec.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

in general, the one thing on a watch im never concerned about polishing is the bracelet. Worst case after several polishes it can be replaced. Plus the lines on the bracelet are not as angular as the ones on the case so its less of an issue anyway.

The case i would polish sparingly and only let AP do it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote