Hard to get excited when you know they will be hard to buy
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:38 AM   #152
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
My Gosh !

The WG Pepsi owners are going to be PISSED!!!
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:46 AM   #153
Toomanyms
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I'm just thankful for what I've got.

Anytime you can look down at your wrist and see a Rolex sitting there is a great day!!!!
Totally agree would drive myself crazy if I wanted a new watch every year . Did that already with 2016 purchase of the Airking and 2017 with the new Sea Dweller . I’m totally happy with what I have .
Toomanyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:47 AM   #154
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Agreed in general. Was hoping there would be some additional dials released for dj41 in steel. That slate wimbledon isn't what I was hoping for...
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:49 AM   #155
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I say prices might go even higher for the LVc in the free market.
I don’t buy into the premise that flippers or discontinue rummers were driving the bulk of the latest LVc sales. There is not enough SS Profesional watches out there to begin with, let alone the highly sought after models.
The LVc waiting list are still full at the AD and there is no floodgate of SS watches being released so I don’t see prices going down in the free market. Why should they?
I believe you will see a further uptick from those that were on the fence waiting for what new Rolex models and changes might bring. The news is out and the Submariner is rock solid as nothing changed with its design. The Hulk will continue to be on fire that much more.
i know for a fact there is a grey dealer in HK sitting on about 100 brand new LVC's and hes not the only one..... these dealers are the reason the price is where its at ... has nothing to do with Rolex limiting supply
AD's need to turn over stock to keep their quota... so in the "back scratching" between them(AD-Grey dealers) this is the end result..... They get them before the poor punters on the waiting lists.

As far as this years releases... i like the the new GMT and would happily buy one but im gonna put it out of my mind as i hate to wait and i can guarantee i wont see one at my AD for another year+....... so ill for get about it for now and look at things i dont have to wait for that i want.

Everything else they released is nice but nothing id go out of my way for.

And as far as the revamped deepsea... i feel for all you guys out there that have the older models, i reckon they are gonna take a hit now they have fixed the major problems that everyone complained about it will definitely hurt the desirability of the older ones................. thats my 2 cents
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:57 AM   #156
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Won’t be able to find any of these models at an AD. Or could pay out the nose from a trusted seller. No thanks. Rolex can shove it. I’ll stick with my good ole 16710.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2018, 11:57 AM   #157
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I like the look of the updated DSSD. The slimmer bracelet and fatter lugs of the 1st gen always put me off. Can't wait to see it in the flesh
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 12:29 PM   #158
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Underwhelimg. Again.

Honestly getting tired of Rolex. They don't look like tool watches anymore. And now the incredibly frustrating game of trying to get one if you really want it. No thanks.

Getting a Tudor GMT. Looks more Rolex than a Rolex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 12:37 PM   #159
teo
"TRF" Member

The beauty of Rolex is they do not change much on design. They only change gradually. That is why resale value is strong. Unlike other brands where they change designs faster than u can say enough.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:28 PM   #160
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Right there with you. The GMT in a coke would have been a homerun. Business as usual with everything else.

Blah
Coke would have been huge.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:34 PM   #161
Watch@ddict
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C/LVC/SSYM1/Da
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Agreed

So, the big Rolex Baselworld news is a couple of bezel color changes, a new retirement home bracelet, and they bought a Bedazzler.

Meh ...................

Just my opinion

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2018, 02:10 PM   #162
Swashplate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
You'll probably get a root canal then an implant, and then dentures before you ever get that Pepsi Rolex hotness.

We all now get to look forward to the BS Rolex game of letting the watches trickle out ever so slowly, the inflated price stupidity, the "you're number 2 on the waitlist" at your authorized retailer game when really there is no waitlist, you just don't spend enough money there in the first place.

I'm over it. Rolex is losing people with this fake exclusivity low production game. Just my thoughts.

Ha ha ha yea I understand the frustration. But if I want one I will get one and I won't wait in line. I have enough contacts to get one, the games are dumb but enough people play them.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:36 PM   #163
Zedrider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509
A steel Pepsi GMT was high on a lot of people’s lists. However, Rolex could not put it on the current GMT Oyster bracelet as their commercial dept. would have had a seizure because nobody more than a few feet away could tell whether it was WG or SS version.

To stop people simply buying the Pepsi and swapping it to an Oyster bracelet Rolex had to “redesign” the case and probably the initial Jubilee links to attach it. That’s quite a lot of effort just to stop people swapping bracelets.

The obvious option would have been to do a black/red “Coke” version, which would have been equally popular. This also would not have created the marketing issues of 2 Pepsi watches. We know Rolex can do black and red so my guess is that a “Coke” WG version of the GMT is in the pipeline.
Zedrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:22 PM   #164
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Underwhelimg. Again.

Honestly getting tired of Rolex. They don't look like tool watches anymore. And now the incredibly frustrating game of trying to get one if you really want it. No thanks.

yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:29 PM   #165
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
i know for a fact there is a grey dealer in HK sitting on about 100 brand new LVC's and hes not the only one..... these dealers are the reason the price is where its at ... has nothing to do with Rolex limiting supply
AD's need to turn over stock to keep their quota... so in the "back scratching" between them(AD-Grey dealers) this is the end result..... They get them before the poor punters on the waiting lists.

As far as this years releases... i like the the new GMT and would happily buy one but im gonna put it out of my mind as i hate to wait and i can guarantee i wont see one at my AD for another year+....... so ill for get about it for now and look at things i dont have to wait for that i want.

Everything else they released is nice but nothing id go out of my way for.

And as far as the revamped deepsea... i feel for all you guys out there that have the older models, i reckon they are gonna take a hit now they have fixed the major problems that everyone complained about it will definitely hurt the desirability of the older ones................. thats my 2 cents
My guess is that they have to buy a load of less popular watches at the same time to get them. Otherwise it makes no sense.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:22 PM   #166
G'ed
"TRF" Member

I’m happy as my wallet will be safe. That ‘58 BB though...
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:27 PM   #167
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Underwhelimg. Again.

Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:35 PM   #168
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex releases are ok but nothing that is going to get me excited or open my wallet. The Tudor GMT and the S&G with the Champagne dial will be ones that I will check out in person and may buy. Moving back toward Panerai and Omega as I am tired of the supply and price game.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:22 PM   #169
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Pretty meh this year. As I said elsewhere, they (including Tudor) hit a grand slam last year. This year, it's a walk. But I think it will lead to another eventual grand slam in a year or two. Why?

I'm guessing they are setting things up for the next couple of years since all GMT cases and movements will need updating, ditto Subs (which is why I personally think supply is so low for sports models). I think we'll see an annual calendar DD at some point too.

Peaks and valleys.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #170
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I'm just thankful for what I've got.

Anytime you can look down at your wrist and see a Rolex sitting there is a great day!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Indeed it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
I don’t think Rolex can ever appease everyone during Basel. Just a thought. I’m just thankful to be able to be in a position to wear Rolex every day.

^^^^ This.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:36 PM   #171
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I think expectations from Rolex are too high. They're consistently slow and more than this, too much anticipation makes it impossible to live up to. Last year, people were disappointed and underwhelmed i recall. In reality (to me), taking their most advanced complication and putting it out in stainless without the perfunctory year of two tone was a big move. This year, putting out a stainless Pepsi and bringing back the Root Beer is news enough. And, I was one of those people who loved the deep blue but couldn't get past the bracelet so that's cool as well.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:33 AM   #172
MARGARITATIME
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lv, 116710BL
My expectations were not meet since this my first Basel I watched or cared about. I personally don't like the jubilee bracelet. Makes the watch too busy. I respect its history, but would like an oyster!

Watched a you tube video and they mentioned the Pepsi dial being reused to make money for the tooling process from the WG BLRO. The SS Pepsi will sell like hotcakes. Very smart move on their part!! I have a feeling a Coke will not be out for 2 years or more. Rolex will want to milk the cow first. The addition of the Root beer was a surprise to me. I like it in TT, but not enough to buy one right away.

The best thing they could have done was add a mini glidelock. Maybe next year or if/when they redo the Sub. I love my glidelock feature!!
MARGARITATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:33 AM   #173
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I loved the 2018 releases from Rolex, Tudor and Patek!

Rolex...
PEPSI... home run!
RG GMT... wow!
DSSD... awesome!
OP39... real cool... especially the white dial!

PATEK...
5740... TOTAL GRAIL for me!
5205G... absolutely stunning!

TUDOR...
home run!
Old 23 March 2018, 05:42 AM   #174
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
I’m happy as my wallet will be safe. That ‘58 BB though...
Yup. That's the one that's got me interested too.
Old 24 March 2018, 08:32 PM   #175
shreykat
"TRF" Member

My inputs;

1. Coke gmt should have been released in platinum and Pepsi should have continued to be in white gold only. When blnr in Ss was already selling like hot cake, what was the bed to release Pepsi bezel in SS?
2. Rose gold root beer in full and Tt are both welcome additions
3. Revisions to dssd make the watch even more desirable than before
4. Why have the sky dweller pm dials have also been made in sticks like Ss ones?? How much cost saving has been achieved by discontinuing roman and Arabic dials??
5. The pm Daytonas with ceramic should have been released in bracelets
6. The sub could have been launched in oysterflex considering how it’s made for water..
shreykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 08:36 PM   #176
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I'm not a big fan of Grand Seiko, but this one ... wow. If only it were a tad larger.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...ry-introducing
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:24 PM   #177
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
i think so, but they are skilled , few changes and a lot of marketing

I prefer the old deep sea, the gtm white gold oyster black dial, and I find that the everose gold is the ugliest among the rose gold
alexxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 10:04 PM   #178
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Obviously the Pepsi GMT will be popular but there’s nothing new under the sun really. I mean they’ve been making them in one form or another for 60 years so okay, good but big deal. Lots of retro rehash from assorted brands, a very good looking Seamaster. Without Richemont brands and a few others being present Basel world is really a pretty dull show.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 10:57 PM   #179
TacticaLCawacoL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sunray/Meteorite
Not disappointed as i was not expecting many things but i don’t get their strategy for setting up the new calibers.

3285 is here now but not in the new WG GMT ? So you pay the premium and get the old 3186 ? Ok it is a really fine piece o technology and it works well but still wondering what is happening.
May be they still have a bunch of watches to move first. So where are they ?
Great they put the 3235 in 36mm DJ by the way.

16600/2005, 116233/2008, 214270/2014, 116234/2016, 116618LB/2017, 116200/2017, 118239/2017, 116622/2018, 326.30.40.50.02.001/2018.
TacticaLCawacoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 12:48 AM   #180
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLCawacoL View Post
Not disappointed as i was not expecting many things but i don’t get their strategy for setting up the new calibers.

3285 is here now but not in the new WG GMT ? So you pay the premium and get the old 3186 ? Ok it is a really fine piece o technology and it works well but still wondering what is happening.
May be they still have a bunch of watches to move first. So where are they ?
Great they put the 3235 in 36mm DJ by the way.
I agree should have been put in the blue dial, doesn't bode well for its future.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote