The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 06:27 AM   #1
holroale
"TRF" Member

Will Rolex discontinue the BLNR now we have the BLRO?

I’ve always really liked the BLNR but now they’ve finally released the SS BLRO do they really need both?

I can’t help thinking they’ll bring out an oyster bracelet BLRO next year and drop the BLNR?

On a related note, what do you guys think will happen to the value and demand for the BLNR now? I can’t see it losing its appeal, I can’t help but love the blue and black combo even if it isn’t traditional!
holroale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:30 AM   #2
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Will Rolex discontinue the BLNR now we have the BLRO?

In my eyes the BLNR is still the best looking. The Pepsi bezel is a turn off to me. Had they made the rich red and die the other half black for a Coke I would have reconsidered.

The BLNR will stay and will be (my own prediction) discontinued in the next couple of years.

PS. Can always add a super jubilee on the BLNR and I prefer the hidden clasp if you ask me tho, a professional is much better on a oyster. I have the DJ on a jubilee and I prefer it that way.

The BLNR will be a classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:52 AM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Looks like they are not this year. Perhaps they will be come less prevalent over the course of the year with them being discontinued next year... WHO KNOWS!
Old 22 March 2018, 07:09 AM   #4
greanie
"TRF" Member

Some will want the "New" shiny watch available . . . Im sure we will see some BLNR end up for sale and Trade.
Ill glady be there to scoop one up! :)

Discontinue . .. Who Knows! Especially with the lack of supply we have been seeing, there is no way to foresee Rolex's future in the Stainless Steel Market. We all hope to be able to buy one new or used at our own Whim . .. But the stars have aligned differently and we wait and hope until our number gets called.

Tell you what i will be doing . . . Next time i see a "Shooting Star" i will be wishing to have a go at a NEW or LIKE NEW BLNR at a non-astronomical price.
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

BLNR will be available just as the Sub LV. There is not point to discontinued... I’m pretty sure there is gonna be an updated tho (movement) just like happened with the Deepsea Blue
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Fresh_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
BLNR will be available just as the Sub LV. There is not point to discontinued... I’m pretty sure there is gonna be an updated tho (movement) just like happened with the Deepsea Blue
Might be a SS Coke in there as well next year. Hopefully they offer Oyster & Jubilee bracelet option as well.
IMO the BLRO should have been SS from the get go at a reasonable premium, looks llike Rolex is correcting their mistakes.
Fresh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:01 AM   #7
peterpl
Banned

They will update the movement. Both the BLNR and LV will continue. Its stupid to discontinue them.

Why would you discontinue a popular SS model that rakes in cash.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Gary.
"TRF" Member

If Rolex want to keep the Oyster bracelet exclusively for the White Gold Pepsi, then the current BLNR's days are almost certainly numbered.

I'll explain.

The new GMT has a new case and a new movement, right? Well, how long do we think Rolex will continue running the BLNR alongside it with the old case/movement? It seems likely that they'll either can the BLNR or, at some point in the future, start making a BLNR version based on the new tech specs of the Pepsi.
But if they do the latter- and they still don't want to have steel Oyster that'll fit the steel Pepsi- they'll have to offer it with a Jubilee-only configuration.
Either way, it looks like the current Oyster-shod BLNR has a very limited future.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
BLNR will stay, Rolex are proving reluctant to disco models, DSSD and BLRO were under pressure this year and survived so doubt this big seller will be going anywhere.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:08 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

There must be oyster bracelets in the SS GMT line so no IMO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:10 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
If Rolex want to keep the Oyster bracelet exclusively for the White Gold Pepsi, then the current BLNR's days are almost certainly numbered.

I'll explain.

The new GMT has a new case and a new movement, right? Well, how long do we think Rolex will continue running the BLNR alongside it with the old case/movement? It seems likely that they'll either can the BLNR or, at some point in the future, start making a BLNR version based on the new tech specs of the Pepsi.
But if they do the latter- and they still don't want to have steel Oyster that'll fit the steel Pepsi- they'll have to offer it with a Jubilee-only configuration.
Either way, it looks like the current Oyster-shod BLNR has a very limited future.
No they can make the lugholes different sizes or in different places so the bracelets are not interchangeable even if the cases and lugs are made the same. Thus the BLNR can have the oyster and the BLRO the jubilee.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:12 AM   #12
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Either the BLNR will get the 3285 or it will continue for a couple of years with the 3186 and get discontinued. I wouldn't be so sure about it getting the 3285 since the new WG BLRO has the 3186 and this watch should be produced for at least 3-4 years. Strange move that the RG and TT Root Beers get the new calibre and the new WG model keeps the old movement.

I don't get the new case argument since both the Root Beers and WG BLRO have the same case as the BLNR and LN. Maybe the new case is just for the Pepsi and perhaps a future Coke release.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:13 AM   #13
chubz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116681
i need a batman just thought everyone should know
chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:18 AM   #14
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No they can make the lugholes different sizes or in different places so the bracelets are not interchangeable even if the cases and lugs are made the same. Thus the BLNR can have the oyster and the BLRO the jubilee.
Yes, I guess they could. It doesn't seem a very tidy (or Rolex) way of doing things, though.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:19 AM   #15
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Think it’s unlikely to see it discontinued, perhaps just updated with new movement
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:36 AM   #16
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
They will update the movement. Both the BLNR and LV will continue. Its stupid to discontinue them.

Why would you discontinue a popular SS model that rakes in cash.
Because Rolex. They don’t really need our money
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:50 AM   #17
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
The Pepsi is providing us with a glimpse of Rolex's roadmap for the GMT line. All GMTs with the old movements and dimensions will be updated.

So it's not a question of if, but when and how soon (hint: soon)

If you like an existing GMT model and are worried that Rolex might dump it in 2019 you'd better open up your wallet now :-)

The million dollar question is when will the Sub get the same treatment and which model will be first.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

They will keep both
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:54 AM   #19
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:36 PM   #20
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Wishful thinking *if* you're implying that the BLNR will live on in its current state long term.

Why would Rolex make two separate cases and movements for GMTs with bezel colors being the only differentiating factor? Would be a terrible decision from a business and manufacturing perspective especially since the new GMTs are more expensive than the old ones.

cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:45 AM   #21
harrymai22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Wishful thinking *if* you're implying that the BLNR will live on in its current state long term.

Why would Rolex make two separate cases and movements for GMTs with bezel colors being the only differentiating factor? Would be a terrible decision from a business and manufacturing perspective especially since the new GMTs are more expensive than the old ones.

I think he's saying BLNR will receive update inevitably.

Multiple ADs in SoCal have said BLNR "discontinued" but expected back in new form (and price) by end of the year. They are selling the last of the 116710 before it comes back as 126710BLNR. It is not in the catalogue for 2018 FWIW. Rolex Boutique ordering manager said he has no clue when the 12-BLNR will be available. I expect 11-BLNR to hold value and possibly jump given no incoming stream available.

What a time to be a Rolex addict
harrymai22 is offline   Reply With Quote