The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 23 November 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Should I flip my 287 for a 24?

So, here's the dilema...

I have had my 287 Radiomir Blackseal for a while now and it's a great watch but recently got the itch for a 24 Submersible - love it's rugged tool watch look.

Problem is I can't afford to buy the 24 at the moment... Today I saw a used 24, seemed in good condition and would be about $US 700 to trade up from the 287...

Hmm...what to do?
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
I think you better keep your 287.
Don't you so hurry.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 04:08 AM   #3
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The 287 is quite a nice Radiomir.No use in trading,the one for the other.I say,save up and buy a 24 when you can.A collection needs at least a Radiomir and a Luminor/Submersible.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 04:28 AM   #4
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
So, here's the dilema...

I have had my 287 Radiomir Blackseal for a while now and it's a great watch but recently got the itch for a 24 Submersible - love it's rugged tool watch look.

Problem is I can't afford to buy the 24 at the moment... Today I saw a used 24, seemed in good condition and would be about $US 700 to trade up from the 287...

Hmm...what to do?

I really like my 24 and find I wear it most often out of my watches. It's got a good combination of brushed/polished/bling/industrial. The raised 5-minute marks on the bezel can really pop out in the right lighting conditions, and the polished crown guard and case peek out around the brushed bezel. The dial is also awesome, with the applied hour markers, second hand with subtle circular backdrop etched into the dial, and date window. The cyclops is smaller than the one on my 240, and the crystal also has a blue AR coating that you can see under certain angles. It's an "I" series.

The only minuses on this model would be that it doesn't have the roller gizmo on the crown lever, and doesn't have the new quick release pins.

The 243 is a dream piece for me, but it's much more industrial stregth, and the smaller dial actually makes the watch look smaller overall.

morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2008, 03:38 PM   #5
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback guys - sounds like I should keep the 287... Will give it some more thought...

By the way - seeking some advice on buying pre-owned watches in general.... Assuming you are buying from a reputable local pre-owned dealer, what are the risks / things you should look out for?

I'm fairly confident I can assess the external condition and match the papers but what about inside - how to know if everything is in order?

Thanks
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote