The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 08:07 PM   #31
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

I'm in much the same position, for me the main thing was removing the divers extension and having it sized correctly so never had an issue with it being top heavy.

I can't see any difference on the pearl or the triangle but the font on original gas escape valve does look different to me, but like you said changes subtle enough that make the original even more special in my opinion, i definitely won't be flipping my MK1 now
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:11 PM   #32
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Seems the crown in between swiss made is on all the 2018 launches
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:19 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
The models that have an updated movement have a small crown printed on the dial at 6 o'clock, between SWISS and MADE. The new models, but with old movement, like the blue-dial white gold GMT BLRO doesn't have it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgm0noMn...n-by=deployant
Thanks Patrick
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:59 PM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Lug and endlink changes

Old on left, new on right.

The new lug is slightly slimmer (wider bracelet) and longer, and the endlink is reprofiled to sit just below the lug.

Looks very similar indeed to the lug and endlink profile from the SD43. Which would make sense as its probably now using the SD43 bracelet with a new wider "Deepsea" glidelock clasp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (131.6 KB, 387 views)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:52 PM   #35
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I woke up today and looked at my old D-Blue the same. I still like it as much and honestly could care less about the new one as changes are meaningless for me. For me the bracelet is perfect and works with my wrist size. The extra power reserve is meaningless to me as well as the D-Blue is purely a weekend only watch given it's size. As for accuracy not sure how you improve a watch that already keeps perfect time. So just don't see why I would ever want to make the change based on the small insignificant changes in my eyes.
Agree with the bracelet as well. Never felt top heavy and fits great on the wrist. I wear mine every day so the extra power reserve doesn't come into play. Accuracy is +15-20 secs per month which is fine. Other mods like any font changes or the small crown at the 6 is meaningless for me as I can't see it anyway.

I guess it comes down to the visual look of the new wider bracelet.. Is it worth changing for that? Not sure..
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:25 PM   #36
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
An AD in my area has just pulled all his deep blues (three in stock) and “bought” them for himself ... he did the same with the white gold Pepsi gmt.. time will tell but he’s been right thus far about Rolex (he bought a few Batman’s for his kids as investments years ago) and which to hold vs not. He won’t sell the old deep blue, he says, until a decade from now , if ever.. I own the old deep blue and am looking forward to trying on a new one... I was really hoping Rolex would improve or dress up the milgauss. So my AD thinks the old deep blues will at least retain their value or go up in value . He usually predicts things well. But then again if the prices do go down, he can always put them back into pre owned inventory I guess ! And sell as pre owned but “bnib..”
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #37
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestonedan View Post
Agree with the bracelet as well. Never felt top heavy and fits great on the wrist. I wear mine every day so the extra power reserve doesn't come into play. Accuracy is +15-20 secs per month which is fine. Other mods like any font changes or the small crown at the 6 is meaningless for me as I can't see it anyway.

I guess it comes down to the visual look of the new wider bracelet.. Is it worth changing for that? Not sure..
same here, not top heavy and bracelet is perfect. the most comfortable watch i own in fact. i suspect when people say its top heavy, they are wearing it loosy goosy!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:58 PM   #38
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing but i am still happy with my Mk1 2008 first edition, especially the stretched crown on the dial :):):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:05 AM   #39
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
The endlink now is actually flushed with the lug. Previous DSSD has weird protrusion that is really out of place, compared to say SD 116600.
Yup now I can see the difference clearer the top link being flush with the lug, I wonder if the lugs being thinner might affect the structural strength of the watch itself??? I guess I am splitting hairs. As far as availability I spoke to my AD and he said that maybe late summer this year but the prices are bordering $14K +.
I still like the 1st generation too, IMHO.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:16 AM   #40
fania123
"TRF" Member

I'll stick with my first gen too seeing that I wear mine on a Rubber B anyway it wouldn't make sense for me.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:31 AM   #41
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I can't tell the difference.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:44 AM   #42
Suboc
"TRF" Member

Nice changes although I’m keeping mine-

photo hosting sites
Suboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:45 AM   #43
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

The end link is a little over one bezel mark wider than before. Just count them off.
Lemonvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:51 AM   #44
Suboc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonvr6 View Post
The end link is a little over one bezel mark wider than before. Just count them off.
I noticed something similar when counting the serration notches on the bezel-
Suboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #45
rolexforum73
"TRF" Member

I don't like the look of the new lugs in that 1st photo. Too narrow for a watch of that size.
rolexforum73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:28 AM   #46
LLPavorsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SKY-DWELLER
Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I woke up today and looked at my old D-Blue the same. I still like it as much and honestly could care less about the new one as changes are meaningless for me. For me the bracelet is perfect and works with my wrist size. The extra power reserve is meaningless to me as well as the D-Blue is purely a weekend only watch given it's size. As for accuracy not sure how you improve a watch that already keeps perfect time. So just don't see why I would ever want to make the change based on the small insignificant changes in my eyes.
No desire to change my "commemorative" model!

216570 SS Explorer II Black Dial
116688 Yellow gold YachtMaster II New
326935 Sky-Dweller Rose Gold Choc Dial New
BNIB DSSD Deep Blue Scrambled Serial# New
YachtMaster Platinum and Stainless F Serial# New
My 2004 40th Bday present is my son's college graduation present in 2018!

IWJG MEMBER#6219
LLPavorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:48 AM   #47
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I will keep my original Deep Blue but may add the new Deep Blue. Original Deep Blue likely to be a desired piece down the road but I love wearing mine and will use it with gusto! I also have the SD43 and the width of the new bracelet is noticeable.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:53 AM   #48
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexforum73 View Post
I don't like the look of the new lugs in that 1st photo. Too narrow for a watch of that size.
That is a concern for me. Hopefully in real life it doesn't look like that.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:12 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
An AD in my area has just pulled all his deep blues (three in stock) and “bought” them for himself ... he did the same with the white gold Pepsi gmt.. time will tell but he’s been right thus far about Rolex (he bought a few Batman’s for his kids as investments years ago) and which to hold vs not. He won’t sell the old deep blue, he says, until a decade from now , if ever.. I own the old deep blue and am looking forward to trying on a new one... I was really hoping Rolex would improve or dress up the milgauss. So my AD thinks the old deep blues will at least retain their value or go up in value . He usually predicts things well. But then again if the prices do go down, he can always put them back into pre owned inventory I guess ! And sell as pre owned but “bnib..”
You should report this guy to Rolex, ADs are not there to snap up whatever they fancy and leave the dregs for the plebs who actually keep them in business. Rolex want names of dodgy ADs now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:16 AM   #50
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
same here, not top heavy and bracelet is perfect. the most comfortable watch i own in fact. i suspect when people say its top heavy, they are wearing it loosy goosy!
. I agree
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:27 AM   #51
psv
"TRF" Member

I have a bit of love/hate relationship with the Deepsea. There is no other watch I've owned more times, I keep coming back to it as I love the over-engineering of it and the domed crystal. I was never really sold on the D-blue color so I've only owned the black dial version.

I will give the new one another try for sure. I actually always found it a bit top heavy to wear - I'm 6 1/4 with 7 1/4 wrist so I can certainly pull off the watch - but I felt it to be top heavy on MY type of wrist. I'm not sure if the new bracelet and more tapered lugs will fix that?

I also wonder about the weight of the new piece. I think the original Deepsea came in at 214 grams. I haven't heard anything about weight on the new one. Perhaps the more tapered lugs will offset the wider bracelet?

Anyways. I've pinged AD to put me on the list.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:43 AM   #52
gsteve
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You should report this guy to Rolex, ADs are not there to snap up whatever they fancy and leave the dregs for the plebs who actually keep them in business. Rolex want names of dodgy ADs now.
sounds iffy too me
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:02 AM   #53
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmandfl View Post
. I agree
Ditto....
Old 23 March 2018, 01:32 PM   #54
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Crown View Post
Never looked at in the same way? Wanna bet which iteration will be worth more in 10 years? I’ll take the original.
I agree! Give me the original. I know its improved. But not enough to warrant over the original to me!
nutrientcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:38 PM   #55
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
YM and Platona, and others, have end pieces that protrude beyond the lugs.
YM got changed, Daytona, WG and Platona and SD4K, I assume crown in the middle of swiss made is the new 70 he movement indicator?
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 10:04 PM   #56
tkcwu
"TRF" Member

Just mine for true second time. I sold the old version 2 years ago as I just didn't like it as much as I wanted to. This time around I like it more!! I just can't explain, but the old one sitting next to my other Rolex collection the SEL sticking out was abit sore on my eyes, and it looks weird and not what I am used to on the wrist. That's also a reason why I don't particularly like the White gold Daytonas. The SEL on those also sticks out vs the SS ones.
tkcwu is offline   Reply With Quote