The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 10:04 AM   #1
jfoord27
"TRF" Member

SS Pepsi waiting lists

Waiting lists at Ad's have closed for the new Pepsi in some Australian ADs. How about in other countries?
jfoord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:08 PM   #2
jonathon555
"TRF" Member

Closed already , really ?

It’s only launched
jonathon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Amazing
"TRF" Member

I rang a local AD to put my name down. The person who took my call said I was the tenth person to call her (less than 30 minutes after announcement) and there were four people taking calls. I think the lack of availability plus what I consider to be a very nice looking watch has caused a lot of people to go into frenzy. When these actually start to surface I think the grey prices will be insane.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:18 PM   #4
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I rang a local AD to put my name down. The person who took my call said I was the tenth person to call her (less than 30 minutes after announcement) and there were four people taking calls. I think the lack of availability plus what I consider to be a very nice looking watch has caused a lot of people to go into frenzy. When these actually start to surface I think the grey prices will be insane.
Hi what AD was this? I live in HERTS as well and my local AD wasn't taking any names without previous purchase history.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Greys, flippers and trusted sellers are going to make a killing on these...

while the true Rolex enthusiast that really wants one to wear will be left on hold on some imaginary list or told by an AD sales rep that they are not $pecial enough. Brutal.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post

while the true Rolex enthusiast that really wants one to wear will be left on hold on some imaginary list or told by an AD sales rep that they are not $pecial enough. Brutal.
Amen brother
Alex Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:58 PM   #7
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Exactly, that’s why I’ll pass ... All these new models are crazy
pricing on the grey market ... and I’m not dealing with no list...

I’ll find something else to enjoy and maybe down the
road if it becomes attainable reasonably I’ll get one !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:01 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m happy that some ADs have a first come first serve policy and that some also like to build relationships with true watch enthusiasts.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
SS Pepsi waiting lists

Whilst I feel a little for people who want this as their first Rolex and won't be able to get one at Retail, many people just haven't played the game.

I will get one at Retail because...

1. I have bought all my watches from my AD and in addition, all jewellery for my wife. Despite the fact that most of what I've bought I could have purchased more cheaply elsewhere.

2. Every time I'm in town I pop in for a chat with the guys in the AD. We talk watches for half an hour and build a relationship.

3. I make positive recommendations to my friends and retweet the AD's twitter posts.

4. I took the day off work to enable me to be in the store as the new models were launched. Guaranteed me beating others to it.

Do I think I deserve preferential treatment over somebody that has never bought from the store before because they've chosen to buy cheaper elsewhere, frankly yes I do.

Do I think the extra effort I put into the relationship and the effort taken to be in the store yesterday warrants reward, again, yes I do.

I am fairly lucky in that I live in a small town so demand isn't the same as a big city, but that also means supply is reduced.

I should point out that I am not a wealthy customer and would rank way down on their list of customers in terms of spend per annum, but my commitment to them in terms of what I can afford and do is recognised.

There are of course some shark AD's out there that will just look after the wealthiest customers, and some I'm sure that feed the grey market for some back-hand benefit, but in the main I believe if you build the relationship then it will bear fruit.

I should point out that I desperately want a Nautilus but can't get on a list anywhere...this of course is deeply frustrating but I have never bought from a Patek AD so accept that it's not going to happen easily. I will be going into the nearest AD at the weekend and will start to form the relationship, but I'm expecting it to take a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:11 PM   #10
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I love these SS crazy moves makes the gold ones cheaper to buy
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Good point and positive Craig.
Old 22 March 2018, 10:36 PM   #12
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Was in my AD yesterday collecting a bracelet. They took 6 deposits within ten minutes of the SS Pepsi being announced.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:38 PM   #13
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
Well my experience in Sweden has been a bit disheartening.

I called 5 minutes after the release and the 3 dealers we have here, 2 are not taking any names down until their staff are back from Basel next week tuesday.

1 of these AD's I have spent a lot of time and money building a relationship with but some of their staff are truly terrible and treat you like a random off the street.

The 3rd AD luckily had a system where if youo called in the first hour and then sent an email, you were on a lsit but they are still processing it. Apprently with in 1 hour they hadd their list up to years. So who knows what will happen.

I walked into one of the AD's today that said they won't take names till next week and spoke with the guy there and he thinks they might not even have a list or accept deposits when the owners come back. If they get 20 watches allocated to the, they will just pick and choose loyal customers to give them to. Which is fair enough but at the same time disheartening.

I am glad I randomly bought a GMT LN 2 years ago when I by chance saw one at an AD. I was thinking of selling it, but now with this experience, screw it, I will keep it and enjoy it.

I am on a few lists for the Daytona and Blue Sky dweller, but no idea if I will see them in the next half decade!
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:56 PM   #14
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yep - its the Apple / eBay mentality world we live in. Buy something at cost and flip it on forums/ebay for more money.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:33 PM   #15
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Whilst I feel a little for people who want this as their first Rolex and won't be able to get one at Retail, many people just haven't played the game.

I will get one at Retail because...

1. I have bought all my watches from my AD and in addition, all jewellery for my wife. Despite the fact that most of what I've bought I could have purchased more cheaply elsewhere.

2. Every time I'm in town I pop in for a chat with the guys in the AD. We talk watches for half an hour and build a relationship.

3. I make positive recommendations to my friends and retweet the AD's twitter posts.

4. I took the day off work to enable me to be in the store as the new models were launched. Guaranteed me beating others to it.

Do I think I deserve preferential treatment over somebody that has never bought from the store before because they've chosen to buy cheaper elsewhere, frankly yes I do.

Do I think the extra effort I put into the relationship and the effort taken to be in the store yesterday warrants reward, again, yes I do.

I am fairly lucky in that I live in a small town so demand isn't the same as a big city, but that also means supply is reduced.

I should point out that I am not a wealthy customer and would rank way down on their list of customers in terms of spend per annum, but my commitment to them in terms of what I can afford and do is recognised.

There are of course some shark AD's out there that will just look after the wealthiest customers, and some I'm sure that feed the grey market for some back-hand benefit, but in the main I believe if you build the relationship then it will bear fruit.

I should point out that I desperately want a Nautilus but can't get on a list anywhere...this of course is deeply frustrating but I have never bought from a Patek AD so accept that it's not going to happen easily. I will be going into the nearest AD at the weekend and will start to form the relationship, but I'm expecting it to take a while!

This is all nice but it should not require this much effort as you are buying a watch and not trying to get a wife..the building of a relationship should go the other way around imho.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:46 PM   #16
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
This is all nice but it should not require this much effort as you are buying a watch and not trying to get a wife..the building of a relationship should go the other way around imho.
Old 22 March 2018, 11:47 PM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

You are right of course, but I'm not a believer in Shoulds and Shouldn'ts - just the is and isn'ts.

I shouldn't have to lock my door when I go out, but I do!

And to be fair, my AD looks after me with free tickets to events, Rolex magazines etc. So it is a two way thing.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:28 AM   #18
jfoord27
"TRF" Member

Within half an hour of the release I had sent off emails to 4 Australian ADs. Note that this was around 1am in the morning, so hard for many people to get in earlier. The Result:
  • AD 1: The list is closed (I had bought a submariner from them before)
  • AD 2: regretted to inform me that they don't have a waiting list yet as it's not out but can add me to an expression of interest list
  • AD 3: Added me to the list (I had spoken to this dealer earlier that day and said I'd contact ASAP if a watch I wanted was released)
  • AD 4: no response
jfoord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:53 AM   #19
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
Hi what AD was this? I live in HERTS as well and my local AD wasn't taking any names without previous purchase history.
That really pisses me off.

It should be the other way around, people who have a regular buying habit are by default either greys or flippers.

This is the first new Rolex for probably a decade I'd be tempted to buy, but am unlikely to be able to because I don't have a purchase history with any AD (largely as the last time I bought one that jeweller is no longer an AD!)

As others have said, I'll either be buyer vintage PM DD by trading in my DJ & Sub or trade for non-Rolex.

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:56 AM   #20
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
This is all nice but it should not require this much effort as you are buying a watch and not trying to get a wife

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:57 AM   #21
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
Quote:

They arent going to get my money. I can wait as long as it takes to find one in the AD.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:03 AM   #22
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I’m on three lists. Confident that one will come through for me. Token - I applaud your approach. It should be rewarded and I’m sure it will.
lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:07 AM   #23
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C, Sub LVC
Hmm interesting read.

I’m tempted to ring around a few dealers and see what they say. I got second on the list with my AD but would be interesting to call back and see what their answer is..
Old 23 March 2018, 07:11 AM   #24
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, this is the smart approach and avoiding the herd mentality on the SS.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:21 AM   #25
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Had no trouble getting on a couple of lists yesterday. The key is not to waste time. Yesterday was the day to inquire about the watch. It’s not like we all didn’t know the watches would be announced yesterday. I was polite, offered to pay a deposit or even pay in full and they told me that while they appreciate that I offered to pay up front, it’s not necessary.

The more you wait the more likely the AD will tell you they’re sorry. Can you imagine how many people are interested in this watch? On this forum alone there must be 500-1000 decided buyers if not more and the watch is months from being available. As soon as the people on this forum get theirs and show wrist pics, even more people will want it. In addition websites that didn’t talk about watches are now doing so making more people aware of Rolex’s popular watches. Highsnobiety and Hypebeast of all places. These are sites that cater to fashion not horology. Let’s not forget the IG crowd either. This wasn’t the case at the start of the decade.
Old 23 March 2018, 07:27 AM   #26
RTK27
"TRF" Member

Here in The Netherlands all AD’s have decided not to do any waiting lists or reservations...

So just wait and see and be lucky I guess.
Never had such a procedure before
RTK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:27 AM   #27
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
None of my ADs are taking deposits; but I’ve put my name at every AD in a 20mi radius of me. Fingers crossed!

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:05 AM   #28
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Conversely, it makes them cheaper to sell.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Jayhawks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
That's crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Was in my AD yesterday collecting a bracelet. They took 6 deposits within ten minutes of the SS Pepsi being announced.
Jayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:09 AM   #30
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Manager of my AD put me on the list, before I even called and asked to be on it!!!

Gotta love that relationship building and years of purchasing....(that's the way the "game" is played)

I'm hoping that since I was able to get both white AND black SS Daytona within 20 months...I should be able to land Pepsi by xmas time (I hope!).

Regardless, I'm in no huge rush and I know they will come through for me ;-)
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote