The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2018, 08:41 PM   #1
tommil
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Submariner 114060

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and a total "noob" when it comes to watches. However, I am about to reach certain milestones in my life and decided to reward myself with a watch I can use pretty much on any occasion for years to come. For that reason, I have decided to go for the submariner 114060, which I believe is the newest model.

So why am I posting to this forum? For several reasons, actually. First and foremost I would like to understand whether or not it makes any difference appearance wise whether I get one from year 2012 or a brand new, 2018 model? I understand that a used one comes with possible flaws such as scratches etc. but my question is that has Rolex made ANY changes to the watch since its release in 2012? Second of all, I would like to get some tips on pricing and price negotiation and how to avoid fake ones. So how much "wiggle room" there usually is in the prices of used Rolexes aka are they negotiable? Also about maintenance, I have understood that watches older than 7-years-old should be checked/maintenanced, is that true and if so, what does it mean money wise?

Thank you in advance!
tommil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Preowned is a good way to go, just make sure it comes with box and papers.....go into sales and you’ll see how 114060 is priced.....a service at a Rolex Service centre will cost around £500 it’s worth every penny the watch comes back like brand new.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:54 PM   #3
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Welcome to TRF... buying used is ripe with pitfalls if you have never done this, so make sure the seller is legit.. check out the classifieds here for price comparisons... many legit sellers
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:08 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

If it were me and based on your circumstances, I’d buy from an AD
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
There's no changes on the 114060 from 2013 until now as far as I know so you don't have to watch for variations.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:50 PM   #6
J-E
"TRF" Member

go for a new one at an AD!
J-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
id buy a new one. its your first and youll get a brand new watch with the full warranty. check out some of the dealers here as well.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
also so you know rolex has 5 year warranty and doesn't need service for 10 years
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:23 PM   #9
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Here is the history of the sub. Like others said, no changes after 2012.
https://www.fratellowatches.com/role...riner-history/

It kind of depends where you live and the AD, but I think 5% is about the most you can expect for a SS Sub.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:26 PM   #10
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
The only change that I'm aware of is the font on the dial. It's a little fatter on new models. Here is a thread that addresses it:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=font

I would recommend buying new. There is not much to be saved buying used these days. The challenge may be finding one. Good luck. It's a fantastic watch!
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:33 PM   #11
RHJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Ad
Old 22 March 2018, 11:12 PM   #12
boondar143
"TRF" Member

I think when you look on the second hand market you will find that there isn't much of a discount available for the 114060. I was in a similar position and ended up going the AD route. Also know that the supply is limited. You won't necessarily be able to drop by an AD and get one whenever you please. I looked at three ADs and had to wait a month for mine.
boondar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:22 PM   #13
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Right now I would tell you go to an AD. The shortage has jacked up the secondary (grey or preowned) market to the point where you are going to find a "great" deal. Plus you can enjoy the whole experience of your first Rolex. For that reference your wait time shouldn't be more than a month or two I'm guessing. You may even luck out and find one on the shelf.

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:27 PM   #14
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
If you’re going to spend $8k on sub then I would just buy a blnr from a trusted seller for bit more
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:36 PM   #15
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Sent you a PM. I would go the AD way.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:40 PM   #16
Houston77
"TRF" Member

I got my Dec. preowned 2016 114060 with box and papers from a very reputable dealer for high-6s (no tax). If you go preowned, pay a little more for a watch with box and papers from a well known dealer. Don't get too caught up in the Chrono24 game -- going the "cheapest" route is a recipe for trouble.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:15 AM   #17
ponch10
"TRF" Member

in the UK the 114060 is in such short supply that pre owned sells for more than RRP. But then again, UK RRP is probably not so high as in the US.
I bought mine preowned and got a decent deal. I wouldn't really go second hand for a 5% discount, that does not make sense. Although if you can make 15% happen...
ponch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:23 AM   #18
HarlyFan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub
You ALWAYS get what you pay for!!! Be Careful
HarlyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:32 AM   #19
Bok88
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. AD for your first purchase, too risky buying pre-owned unless from a reputable seller. Good luck.
Bok88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:33 AM   #20
PaTheCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-SUB-MIL-PAM159
I got mine from AD for my 114060. I sold my Milgauss and purchased subc. I would go for new one since price of pre owned and new are the same. I asked for a discount from my AD and they gave me 5% from msrp price and i live out of state which is 3 hours drive from texas, so we agreed to ship them out saving me local state tax approximately 500+. So i paid only $7125. Its worth asking, i was not expecting a discount since there is a demand for Rolex sport watches. Goodluck!
PaTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #21
vinny84
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
If I were you, I would buy new at an AD. Shop around different AD’s in your area and put your name on a list for one with a dealer that you “connect” with. Pre Owned prices are just about the same as new right now last time I checked.

Good luck and welcome!
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #22
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Finding discounts on these is getting tougher and tougher - ADs are obviously aware of sports model shortages. Furthermore, the 114060's are selling used for high $6's to mid $7's depending on seller/condition.

Just go to an AD and buy it for MSRP, especially if it is your first. You might have to wait a few weeks to get it, but nothing like a Daytona, Sky-D, Hulk, BLNR, SD43, etc. etc..

My .02
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:44 AM   #23
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
My personal recommendation is since this is your first one, purchase from an AD that you like and feel comfortable with and enjoy the experience. Then once you are more knowledgable about Rolex's perhaps make a foray into the used marked. Also, many of the trusted sellers on here are excellent such as Brian"Briboxer" Tony at SDWatches or Aamir"Sohais". Be sure to post pictures after you acquire your new baby.
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:02 AM   #24
Dahl
"TRF" Member

I would buy a new from AD. I think the relatively small extra cost is clever money. Anyway - If you buy a used one remember to price the reduced or no warranty, the service cost, scratches and the lack of “fresh out of the box” feeling. I bought mine new from AD and I would do it again.
Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:53 AM   #25
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
You ALWAYS get what you pay for!!! Be Careful
Not always, and that’s the danger.
But I agree with the sentiment. Paying too little may cost you a lot down the road.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:46 AM   #26
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
id buy a new one. its your first and youll get a brand new watch with the full warranty. check out some of the dealers here as well.
x2

The secondary market can be a minefield, if you don't know what you're doing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:57 AM   #27
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Welcome Excellent choice

this is your first one ? New from AD and it will be truly yours without any risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E View Post
go for a new one at an AD!
Old 23 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #28
SubMarin18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I recommend an AD. I just bought a new 114060 this past Sunday at an AD as this was my first Rolex and wanted everything to be “mine” for my first watch; warranty , scratch free, etc. Everyone makes reference to the AD “experience “, but I feel I may have missed out on this experience. What exactly should I have expected?

Last edited by SubMarin18; 23 March 2018 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Mispelling
SubMarin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:30 PM   #29
tommil
"TRF" Member

--

Last edited by tommil; 5 May 2018 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Same message two times
Old 5 May 2018, 07:46 PM   #30
tommil
"TRF" Member

Got one...

Thanks guys for the replies! I ended up buying one from an AD abroad. It wasn't my local AD per se, but in a country where I have ties to and travel occasionally to.

The reasons for my decision was that they had one in stock, they were able to reserve it for me for a few days to make travel arrangements (I was going there anyway) and I am eligible for a VAT refund in that specific country. The watch was slightly more expensive there than in Finland, but they kindly offered me a 5% discount so that and the VAT refund meant that I ended up paying about 6200€ for it.

The waiting list in Finland would have been 3-4 years (that's what they told me) and they were not able to offer any discount. The price would have been 7050€ here in Finland, so all in all I am very pleased with the deal I got! I enjoy wearing the watch tremendously and even after two weeks of owning it I sometimes find myself just looking at the watch (not the time!!) wondering about the sophisticated mechanics it holds inside, and the fact that it looks awesome!

I got to enjoy the AD experience for a reasonable price and if I were to buy another model, I would definitely go to the same dealer.