The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2015, 09:53 AM   #1
LarryL
"TRF" Member

Just bought my 1st AP - and have a few questions

Hello everyone,

Very happy to join the forums!
My name is Larry and I just picked up my first AP.
Which is also my first high end time piece.
It's a stainless steel 44mm ROO

I'm learning a lot from browsing the forums, but still have some questions I'm trying to get answered. So hoping someone more knowledgable can help me out.

My first question is about the lume.
Out of the box the watch appears to have none.
It only glows after I hold it to direct light for a bit.
If I wear it during the day, it doesn't glow at night....only if I charge it by holding it up to a light. Is this normal/common for a brand new watch?

My second question pertains to the watch running a few seconds fast each day.
I set the time to match the time.gov website
24 hours later I see that it was 20 seconds ahead.
Is this also normal, or something that I should bring in to get checked out.

And lastly, my third question is about a watch winder.
I wear this maybe once or twice a week. I don't mind the watch dying and then winding it by hand, but I'm looking to do what's best for the overall health & longevity of the watch.

Is it better to keep it on a winder and having the watch be on at all times, or is it better to let it die and then wind by hand as needed?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Larry
LarryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2016, 07:11 AM   #2
LarryL
"TRF" Member

also,

just noticed that the red chrono arrow on my AP does not fully return to center.
It looks like it is a smidge to the right.
like half a sec or so.
Old 12 January 2016, 10:02 AM   #3
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
Where did you pick this up from?
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 10:42 AM   #4
FightOnSC!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP. Rolex. The end
ive had this problem in the past. the flange/chrono ring can sometimes not be as centered as possible. hand-made watch with some questional QC on certain models (typically H serial had a few QC issues for finishing)

had two 44's with this problem. send to Clearwater for a quick fix.
FightOnSC! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
PJ S
Banned

Needs to go back to AP for warranty service or simply exchanged by the dealer purchased from.
If you opt for the former, then let stress to APSC that you’d appreciate them taking a bit of extra time to regulate it tighter than +20 per day.

Minimal lume on hands and indices, so it won’t emit much luminance during the night, even if charged by strong sunlight earlier in the day.
It’s really only there for the purpose of seeing in a dim location after having come inside – you’re not going to get the same level of luminance as you would a well lumed diver’s watch.

Regarding watch winder or not – up to your own personal preference. Using one means the watch would be likely to need servicing sooner than if you don’t, since the moving parts and oils/grease will be in constant use.
Left to run down then wound when needed, will prolong service intervals – with the modern synthetic oils/grease, 7+ years is doable for something not worn daily.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 10:55 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOnSC! View Post
ive had this problem in the past. the flange/chrono ring can sometimes not be as centered as possible. hand-made watch with some questional QC on certain models (typically H serial had a few QC issues for finishing)

had two 44's with this problem. send to Clearwater for a quick fix.
The OP’s photo shows fairly clearly that the issue is with the hand position, not the tachymeter’s alignment.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 11:25 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
great congrats
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 12:45 AM   #8
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your first AP!
Sorry you have such issues

The chrono hand and timekeeping can/will be addressed by AP

Though lume isn't as bright relative to watches from some other brands, you should still be able to see something in the dark with normal wear
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 05:43 AM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 11:34 AM   #10
exiger77
"TRF" Member

AP lume don't last or isn't as bright as some other brands. For the alignment, service centre will be able to align it. Congrats owning AP.
exiger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 01:26 PM   #11
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Beautiful watch. In addition to the chrono hand and accuracy issues, the tachymeter scale seems to be a litte offset counterclockwise. This is also quite common. These are finicky beasts. AP Clearwater will sort out all issues quickly and then you will have an amazing watch to enjoy for a long time. No worries there. They (Clearwater) are excellent and a great reason to get an AP.

As for the lume, it is definitely not AP's best feature.
Old 21 January 2016, 02:01 AM   #12
LarryL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Beautiful watch. In addition to the chrono hand and accuracy issues, the tachymeter scale seems to be a litte offset counterclockwise. This is also quite common. These are finicky beasts. AP Clearwater will sort out all issues quickly and then you will have an amazing watch to enjoy for a long time. No worries there. They (Clearwater) are excellent and a great reason to get an AP.

As for the lume, it is definitely not AP's best feature.
Thank you sir,

If you would know, can you please tell me what should be done when sending in my watch to clearwater?

Im specifically talking about the 3rd year warranty.
Heard you have to send it in for that to be valid, so maybe I should do it now in one shot?
Old 22 January 2016, 07:12 PM   #13
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryL View Post
Thank you sir,

If you would know, can you please tell me what should be done when sending in my watch to clearwater?

Heard you have to send it in for that to be valid, so maybe I should do it now in one shot?
register the wath online. they will send you the third year warranty sticker. you need to service the watch within two years for the three year to be valid. they do a waterproof test. it's very simple.
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2016, 10:26 PM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 22 January 2016, 10:33 PM   #15
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryL View Post
Thank you sir,

You should register your watch at audemarspiguet.com if you haven't done so already. They will send you a sticker for the third year warranty. Normally, you will send your watch for a B1 service at one point before the 2 year mark (after one year was the recommendation of the AP boutique, which makes sense) and they will stamp the sticker and give you the third year of warranty.

In your case, you can send it in and request this to be done as well and they should take care of it. I once had to send a 26400 just like yours to resolve some issues, watch was fully stickered and a month old or so. It came back with the 3rd year sticker already filled in and good to go.

I suggest you call Clearwater and ask for more details. Lindsay or the other super nice lady (I can't remember her name now) will tell you all you need to know. If you are close to the boutique in NY, you can drop it there and they will take care of everything. Make sure to include the warranty book and a note detailing the issues and requests.

26400 Steel is such a fantastic watch!