The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 14 November 2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Forum responsiveness

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the performance/responsiveness of the forum lately, namely the time for the forum to respond to input commands etc.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 07:12 PM   #2
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
The forum runs slow sometimes on my computer, but that just may be my connection. Overall, I am very happy with it.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:01 AM   #3
dweb
"TRF" Member

I posted a thread several days ago and got a 'this will be posted after the content is reviewed, etc, etc.' message. Now, it seems that my posting has disappeared into the vapor. What gives (smile)??
dweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:04 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the performance/responsiveness of the forum lately, namely the time for the forum to respond to input commands etc.

I'm glad you raised this point, Steve. At times, it's been agonizingly slow.....and that could be a reason why some members have got in more than one post of the same text.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I've never had a problem. I'm on a DSL connection in Maine, USA.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:39 AM   #6
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

The forum is generally pretty swift.

I do get a couple of timeouts per session on this site but it is a lot better than a few months back.
Old 18 November 2008, 04:22 AM   #7
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Just wanted to say thank you. Without this forum I would not have this SS Daytona on my wrist......Thanx
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 04:26 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
The forum is generally pretty swift.

I do get a couple of timeouts per session on this site but it is a lot better than a few months back.
Could be the times when I log on, Paul!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 04:28 AM   #9
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I thought it was the connection here, but even just now, I tried to access the new posts & it took about 3 minutes , then I timed out & had to close down Explorer & retry.
Other times, trying to access pages inside the forum, I lose the connection.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 05:56 AM   #10
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
yes, its been slow the past couple of days... sometimes it stops responding altogether and you have to close and reopen your browser for you to be able to view the forum pages..
Old 18 November 2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by launch mini View Post
i thought it was the connection here, but even just now, i tried to access the new posts & it took about 3 minutes , then i timed out & had to close down explorer & retry.
Other times, trying to access pages inside the forum, i lose the connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james t View Post
yes, its been slow the past couple of days... Sometimes it stops responding already togehter and you have to close and reopen your browser for you to be able to view the forum pages..
+1
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

So you guys that are having the problems are you using Internet Explorer as your web-browser?

There are so many variables involved. Sometimes for me the forum is lightning fast, other times (albiet for brief periods) it has had a hickup or two. It is too easy to say "The server is slow!"
I use Mozilla Firefox 3.0.4 as my web-browser and by and large it works very well. The web-browser has to be able to properly and correctly interpret the data to covert it to show on your screen.
One thought is for you guys to make sure you are using the latest web-browser.

The story continues.............

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 18 November 2008, 08:56 AM   #13
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
So you guys that are having the problems are you using Internet Explorer as your web-browser?
yes, i am using ie 7.0
Old 18 November 2008, 10:11 AM   #14
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
I have to say (I'm on DSL and using Internet Explorer) that this is a very fast forum, Steve. No complaints here at all, except for all the sheep jokes.....
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 09:12 AM   #15
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
There are no server issues to speak of, the server is running well. I do believe that the slowness some are experiencing is not the server at all but general congestion etc, etc. When you think the server is to blame, please look at the bottom of the page that loaded slow to see how long the page took to generate.

Rolex Forums generated this page in 0.37896395 seconds (74.73% PHP - 25.27% MySQL) with 10 queries
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 10:35 AM   #16
baldyspoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I have noticed in the last couple of days it has been slower and on occasion have had to log out and then back in
baldyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 10:42 AM   #17
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Mozilla Firefox...
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 02:00 PM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I run IE7.0 on a Verizon FIOS line and have not experienced any issues with speed or responsiveness. Well, that's not quite true. Whenever our loony toons bald Kiwi nutcase gets on, the speed slows to a virtual crawl. But who's complaining?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 02:22 AM   #19
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
I found the source of the perceived slowness, and it is NOT this forums server! I was waiting on ads*****.com and stats.****.com to do its thing. I literally waited 45 seconds for a page to load that I clicked, yet after it did load I got these stats:

Rolex Forums generated this page in 0.21630096 seconds (75.23% PHP - 24.77% MySQL) with 10 queries

I suggest that faster timouts are used for these external items...
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 02:27 AM   #20
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Very responsive to me from Florida, North Carolina, Maryland, Philadelphia, Princeton, Toronto, and Austin!
Old 27 November 2008, 09:43 AM   #21
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I have been having severe time issues with this site lately. Especially at home, where I have killer download speed.
I found that by running Firefox at home, all problems resolved. SOmetimes I cannot even get to this site with Explorer, but Firefox will fire right up.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2008, 10:07 AM   #22
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I have been having severe time issues with this site lately. Especially at home, where I have killer download speed.
I found that by running Firefox at home, all problems resolved. SOmetimes I cannot even get to this site with Explorer, but Firefox will fire right up.
See man, it's like I said, it isn't always (now basically never) the server.

There are so many variables involved in the information highway, just think of it like driving to work each day.....Is your car running well, has there been a traffic accident up ahead, is the weather inclement, is there road works etc. etc. All these factors have an influence on the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

I'm glad you gave Firefox a go, I personally prefer it on both Mac and MS Windows to opposition browsers.

Regards

Old 29 November 2008, 03:55 PM   #23
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I think there are times it responses slow...i dont know if its becuase there are a lot of people loggin in or its maybe my connection...but im ok with that it doesnt really bother me that much..
Old 29 November 2008, 05:00 PM   #24
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Icon6

Have not noticed a concernable difference.....

But i dont post as oftenas many.

keep the squirrel drinking bro,... he must be as wired as me by now!!

Thanks for asking.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2008, 05:14 PM   #25
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Works great for me...
Old 29 November 2008, 05:20 PM   #26
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I have experienced sporadic 'stalls' where using the 'New Posts' (search) button will completely stall out. If I cancel and go to the forum main page, it will load. Going back to the thread I was reading, the last (new) post will be a multiple. I've only had a couple multiple entries happen but it acted the same. Hit 'Post Reply' and things stall. Minimize IE and come back later, sometimes the post will appear, other times it will time out and generate a 'page not found'. Seems related to searches and/or entering new replies. Other than that, things respond quickly on the average. I don't know if it helps but... I've captured some response times when I've had the problem.

Rolex Forums generated this page in 10.50962496 seconds (-38.99% PHP - 138.99% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 113.84571099 seconds (0.07% PHP - 99.93% MySQL) with 17 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 12.89046788 seconds (15.17% PHP - 84.83% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 125.74084496 seconds (0.14% PHP - 99.86% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 147.70558000 seconds (0.38% PHP - 99.62% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 17.41107988 seconds (-35.71% PHP - 135.71% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 20.42607999 seconds (-10.96% PHP - 110.96% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 206.63692188 seconds (0.08% PHP - 99.92% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 212.87211800 seconds (-84.60% PHP - 184.60% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 27.28135896 seconds (4.23% PHP - 95.77% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 45.06333208 seconds (0.81% PHP - 99.19% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 7.30852699 seconds (0.87% PHP - 99.13% MySQL) with 20 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 72.85853791 seconds (0.72% PHP - 99.28% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 8.67641997 seconds (-19.68% PHP - 119.68% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 9.25816011 seconds (1.56% PHP - 98.44% MySQL) with 13 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 41.19184589 seconds (-4.20% PHP - 104.20% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 42.14229894 seconds (-86.91% PHP - 186.91% MySQL) with 10 queries

You'll notice the numbers get whacked sometimes w/long stalls when things go wrong. Not complaining (by a long shot). Just providing some info. I've only experienced this problem very sporadically. I am using IE V6.xxx both at work and at home. Both connections are broadband. I thought, perhaps, that it happens when too many queries are being requested or new posts. JME...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Lol-x
Facilitator

Pat I noticed that you posted this post at approximately 7:20am UTC time.

It is around 6am UTC to 7am UTC that the server does a daily backup. During this period yes there will be a lag in the operation of the server.

However, the system has to be maintained.

So would I be correct in assuming that your problems were found to be accuring in or about the time period I specified?

Also as I suggested above, you might find a lot better result by using Mozilla Firefox 3. That is a great browser, and I suggest that once you try it you may never go back to Internet Explorer