The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2018, 08:30 PM   #31
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

It’s worth what someone will pay. More dollars than cents comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 June 2018, 08:30 PM   #32
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Would not anyone act being nice when selling anything.

Good point Peter!!
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:54 PM   #33
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Would not anyone act being nice when selling anything.
There are plenty of watch sellers (even a few “trusted sellers” here on TRF) I have no desire to work with simply because they weren’t very nice. Furthermore, there are a considerable amount of people in the world that are terrible to work with. Yes, people who work in sales.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:00 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I think it's funny that there are people who think paying that much for that watch is a good idea, makes me wonder how they have the brain capacity to even make that amount of money in the first place. Very interesting.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:02 PM   #35
sp3000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-Dweller
nearly a year ago I was in contact for a NIB Coke from AIS, They wanted too much then and now a year later the watch is another $10k more, they just slowly upped the price... Still no takers. Maybe when they triple the price someone will have to have it!
sp3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:03 PM   #36
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
And someone out there will be dumb enough to buy them all.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:23 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
There are plenty of watch sellers (even a few “trusted sellers” here on TRF) I have no desire to work with simply because they weren’t very nice. Furthermore, there are a considerable amount of people in the world that are terrible to work with. Yes, people who work in sales.
Look its very simple if any seller whether on forum or not was not nice to anyone buying a product from them, they would not be in business long.And please quote the name of any trusted seller that was not nice and the circumstances they were not nice to you over any sale.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #38
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISSAHOLICS View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:48 PM   #39
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

To each his own.
I do not offer or provide any Rolex investment advice or opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular watch, collections of watches, transaction or investment watch collecting strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any watch decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, watch objectives, risk tolerance, and what looks good in yoru opinion on your wrist.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:45 PM   #40
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
One third of all wealth is inherited, another third is black market. All the legitimate earned money is probably on bogus waiting lists... perfect world metaphor for you there.
You're right. I bet the self-made, they're too smart to go on waiting lists, bc most waiting lists aren't real anymore. It's just where the AD puts those they don't want to give the one in the back to. Used to be just Daytonas in SS (now most SS to some degree) that they would bring from out back and always just happened to get in for a customer but they can't sell it to you. They tell you about all the PM watches they have, you buy one and they come back with the same watch they tell you is another they have in the back just waiting for the right purchaser. Some ADs play the carnival game with the grabber in the tank full of toys. The one they tell you where they always have winners, but you keep loosing money trying to get that stuffed animal that keeps falling from your grips
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:06 PM   #41
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Look its very simple if any seller whether on forum or not was not nice to anyone buying a product from them, they would not be in business long.And please quote the name of any trusted seller that was not nice and the circumstances they were not nice to you over any sale.
If you really want to know a couple of stories shoot me a pm and I’ll gladly tell you, but I’m not going to pubilically write negative reviews about people’s business’s because they weren’t nice to me. You rip me off, you sell me something not as described and won’t take it back or make it right? Yes, I’ll write a review. But a negative review over not being very nice is not necessarily fair.

Lucky for me, I can choose who ever I want to work with.

Anyway, shoot me a PM and I’ll let you know a couple situations in confidence though.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:07 AM   #42
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
If you really want to know a couple of stories shoot me a pm and I’ll gladly tell you, but I’m not going to pubilically write negative reviews about people’s business’s because they weren’t nice to me. You rip me off, you sell me something not as described and won’t take it back or make it right? Yes, I’ll write a review. But a negative review over not being very nice is not necessarily fair.

Lucky for me, I can choose who ever I want to work with.

Anyway, shoot me a PM and I’ll let you know a couple situations in confidence though.
I have found most of the trusted sellers to be straight and to the point without much fluff in their communication. They could be a little more friendly but I'm sure they get 100's of texts/emails per day from tire kickers etc.. I'm not defending them by any means but it took me awhile to get used to this. It comes off as rude at first...

My only real complaint is most don't update their sales posts..I can't tell you how many times I have inquired about a watch and it's sold...with the promise another is on the way.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:24 AM   #43
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
M serial no. 2007

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:39 AM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
I reckon you'd have serious buyers remorse after wearing it for a few weeks... If you put it straight in the safe you could keep the delusion alive as it's all in your imagination. I love my 5 digit, and it's a sweet watch for the $4-5k I paid new at a dealer in 2007. Hilarous someone would pay over $20k for what I wear to the beach..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought Y-serial all black GMT-II in 2003 for a couple grand less than you did and I wear mine to the beach and whenever I travel.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:17 AM   #45
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I have found most of the trusted sellers to be straight and to the point without much fluff in their communication. They could be a little more friendly but I'm sure they get 100's of texts/emails per day from tire kickers etc.. I'm not defending them by any means but it took me awhile to get used to this. It comes off as rude at first...

My only real complaint is most don't update their sales posts..I can't tell you how many times I have inquired about a watch and it's sold...with the promise another is on the way.
Yeah I really don't need anyone to roll out the red carpet for me (in this case the cyber red carpet lol). I was just responding to Padi's original statement that anyone selling something will act nice to you. Regardless of whether it's internet watch sales, buying a new car or an oil burner, some people just aren't nice. And while it is surprising, many continue to stay in business and succeed!

Again, I'm not looking to vent, and I'm definitely not looking to single people out as Padi suggest I do. My underlying point, was simply that it's great that DSW was nice to the member that posted earlier. Not every seller is nice. Like you said, sometimes these sellers can come off cold and frankly rude.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:26 AM   #46
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have to agree there are hundreds possible a thousand plus 16710 with the cal 3186 in this world.And while there are those willing to pay these internet hyped prices they will stay high.Yes they have the crown turn test to indicate it has the 3186 but the only true way is to get back off to confirm.Give me a 3185 over a 3186 the 3185 since introduction has run without any problems pity the same could not be said about the 3186 but Rolex has rectified the date problem.
Your Tuff Peter, Still can't see this light, Can you?
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:43 AM   #47
ALF61
"TRF" Member

OP what you are missing is the 3186 movement thing.

Gotta love capitalism and collectability. Will he get what he wants ? depends how the collectors value the item. Few is rare, rare is expensive when talking Rolex.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #48
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I think it's funny that there are people who think paying that much for that watch is a good idea, makes me wonder how they have the brain capacity to even make that amount of money in the first place.
I think it's funny that there are people who think the reasonable and appropriate amount of money to spend on a luxury watch is exactly what they're personally comfortable with.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:12 AM   #49
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I think it's funny that there are people who think the reasonable and appropriate amount of money to spend on a luxury watch is exactly what they're personally comfortable with.
That is true.

It still doesn't make it seem right though to the majority of 'regular' folk who see these vastly inflated prices as ridiculous ( myself included)

Obviously, anything is only 'worth' what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Similar to the Art world.

Personally I wouldnt givev 2c for an abstract work by Picasso and the like, but clearly there are those who are willing to pay many tens of $millions for them.

Fair play & good luck to them!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:15 AM   #50
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
That is true.

It still doesn't make it seem right though to the majority of 'regular' folk who see these vastly inflated prices as ridiculous ( myself included)

Personally I wouldnt givev 2c for an abstract work by Picasso and the like, but clearly there are those who are willing to pay many tens of $millions for them.

That's comparing apples and oranges, and if anything, exploits the absolute stupidity of the current watch market.

A painting is a personalized, one off creation from an individual.......these watches are mass produced, machine made, tangible goods composed wholly of a metal which costs less than $1 a pound But yeah, all you supporters (not you Swiss) keep talking about how it's in any way justifiable to spend these silly amounts OVER the MSRP that is already obscenely high for what it is.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #51
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

This is a luxury watch forum. The folks here spend thousands on dollars on jewelry with the same functionality as a $50 Casio. Deriding anyone else for paying a lot of money for a watch is the epitome of pots and kettles. By definition, this has to be a judgement-free zone -- either we're all idiots, or none of us is.

(Admittedly, it's probably that first thing, but it still means we can't point fingers at each other.)
Old 20 June 2018, 02:26 AM   #52
sunnyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me watch you
But you could have the new SS BLRO for that price
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #53
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
No thanks
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:38 AM   #54
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

That's probably commensurate with what people are willing to pay for this model and this movement. It's essentially the last, most up-to-date, 5 digit GMT-Master II. Me personally, I would never pay that much for such meager upgrades over the hundreds of thousands of 5 digit GMT-Master IIs out there.

Others will say that this watch is an investment; that it is rare.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:59 AM   #55
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
This is a luxury watch forum. The folks here spend thousands on dollars on jewelry with the same functionality as a $50 Casio. Deriding anyone else for paying a lot of money for a watch is the epitome of pots and kettles. By definition, this has to be a judgement-free zone -- either we're all idiots, or none of us is.

(Admittedly, it's probably that first thing, but it still means we can't point fingers at each other.)
I don't think anyone is pointing fingers, I just think the majority are genuinely shocked at the crazy premiums these 10+ year old watches are now commanding when they can remember seeing them sat in AD's windows at retail.

However I do accept your point that we should not be judgemental in our responses.

I apologize in advance if any of my replies have come across like that - I certainly did not set out to offend

Regards.

Old 20 June 2018, 03:49 AM   #56
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone is pointing fingers
Oh, most aren't. This...
Quote:
makes me wonder how they have the brain capacity to even make that amount of money in the first place.
... is the comment I originally responded to, which just seemed like an especially hypocritical example of stoplikingwhatIdon'tlike.

I wouldn't pay that much for the watch either. But, if you have money to spare and wish there were a modern GMTc Coke to buy, then that watch is the closest you're going to get -- it's the most recent available model, with the most modern movement, and is in great shape (and from a respected seller). And it's quite rare, which is appealing to many. It's only overpriced if you can find the same thing elsewhere for less.
Old 20 June 2018, 03:57 AM   #57
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
What year is an M serial?
Bought my M series GMT Pepsi in 2008 from AD.
If I remember correctly it cost me £2600.
Old 20 June 2018, 04:37 AM   #58
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
That's comparing apples and oranges, and if anything, exploits the absolute stupidity of the current watch market.

A painting is a personalized, one off creation from an individual.......these watches are mass produced, machine made, tangible goods composed wholly of a metal which costs less than $1 a pound But yeah, all you supporters (not you Swiss) keep talking about how it's in any way justifiable to spend these silly amounts OVER the MSRP that is already obscenely high for what it is.
5 million???

Where's the advert for that GMT again..

Old 20 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #59
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
That is true.

Fair play? In this market that is a Pipe Dream My Friend.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 06:07 AM   #60
WISAZ
"TRF" Member

Yeah, DavidSW will have no problem selling that. He knows exactly what he is doing.
WISAZ is offline   Reply With Quote