The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2018, 03:17 PM   #1
clb521
"TRF" Member

Had a nice conversation with an AD yesterday

So I was at an AD I am always window shopping at but have never made a big purchase thru. This time I actually talked to one of the sales guys that been there forever and we started talking about Rolexes. After looking at his stock (no SS sports in the case) we started talking about the shortage. I had my new daytona on and he asked how I got it. I told him I had to pay the premium and asked what their requirements were to get one. He had said you had to be a 65-70k watch buyer. Usually they don't even keep them in stock, their GM will call the store and tell them they have one and if they have any customers who meet the requirements to be offered one.

He said the daytona has always been looked at as a premium and hard to get watch which is what Rolex wants and thats never going to change.

We started talking about grey market dealers. I had mentioned that my daytona had stickers on it and the warranty card name was left blank. He said that most grey market buyers are contacting ADs that are about to lose their AD status and buying out their inventory. Since not taking off stickers and leaving name cards blank is a big no no with Rolex it makes sense why some grey market sellers are able to offer them.

We then got talking about my collection and what I was the next one I wanted to add to it.

I told him I wanted the batman, which of course has a waiting list. I put my name down since its a watch I'd like but I am not dying to get or want to pay a premium. They said when they are able to order one, they go down the list and the first person to come in and PAY IN FULL gets the watch within 3-4 weeks.

I also asked about warranty work on my watches since most of them are grey market purchased. He said as long as they arent stolen or fake warranty work is no problem and they go thru dallas RSC. He said just bring in the watch and warranty card and its no problem.

It may be too late for me to start the AD relationship since I am on the end of my collection. Once I get a batman my only other purchase may be a DJ for my wife.

Anyway most of this info is not new to this forum but thought I would share what I was told.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:28 PM   #2
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Thanks. Good info. I agree!!
Old 19 June 2018, 03:31 PM   #3
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Sounds like you had a great experience swinging by and chatting with your AD. I’m also on my AD’s list for the BLNR and hope it won’t take too long. Either way, looking forward to your future incoming post !!
Old 19 June 2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Dejay
"TRF" Member

Helpful info many thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:31 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think bundling is becoming the norm, but there will be a point when people would rather buy with a few grand premium from a grey than be hustled like this for far more in money and time wasted, esp from an official retailer and clearly under Rolex's direction.

If we all actually start shaming people for buying from an AD, with the implication that they were suckered into bundling like saps, then the appeal of showing these off would instantly stop, much like on that other mercenary-flipper Daytona thread, and that is actually one way to stamp out the hype. A lot of the hype starts and ends with this forum, which is very influential in this market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:33 PM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Thanks for sharing your experience with your AD, sounds like it was an honest and candid conversation which doesn’t always happen.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Nice write up. Enjoy your collection!
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:48 PM   #8
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Thanks for the dealer insight
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:52 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks for sharing. I hope you land a BLNR sooner than later
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:56 PM   #10
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Thanks.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:46 PM   #11
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Sounds like the type of AD you would want to build a relationship with if starting out. They're straight up about the market situation for sought-after models and prioritizing long-term clients which makes perfect sense. Looking forward to seeing your BLNR pics when you get it!
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:04 PM   #12
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Nice summary, thanks for sharing.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:51 PM   #13
CHOSEN1
"TRF" Member

I spoke with ad manager at mayors Rolex and he said Rolex only requires that the stickers be taken off the watch before it leaves the store after sale on certain models. Mainly stainless steal models
CHOSEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:11 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice conversation and information. Thanks for sharing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

No way greys get watches only from closing ADs, way more ADs selling out back door
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:50 PM   #16
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
No way greys get watches only from closing ADs, way more ADs selling out back door
I agree. All of my grey market watches came from china.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 19 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #17
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Sounds like you had a nice honest chat with that AD, good info to share. Batman soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:05 AM   #18
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think bundling is becoming the norm, but there will be a point when people would rather buy with a few grand premium from a grey than be hustled like this for far more in money and time wasted, esp from an official retailer and clearly under Rolex's direction.

If we all actually start shaming people for buying from an AD, with the implication that they were suckered into bundling like saps, then the appeal of showing these off would instantly stop, much like on that other mercenary-flipper Daytona thread, and that is actually one way to stamp out the hype. A lot of the hype starts and ends with this forum, which is very influential in this market.
Why do people need to be shamed for buying a watch that is highly sawt after? Regardless of buying from an AD or grey market.

I actually like the watch and paying the premium was really the only way I was going to get one. Now yeah i could have bought my entire collextion just with this one AD and I might now be on his list to be offered one but I am not that patient.

I traded 2 watches to get my daytona and i am happy with my decision.

Old 20 June 2018, 12:17 AM   #19
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Thank you for sharing. I think you develop a relationship with this AD. He probably would like you to be his new client.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:19 AM   #20
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Be careful with the pay in advance method, especially if Tourneau. There are cases were some salespeople take advantage of customers and get them to pay up front and then when they can't get your watch convert you to store credit and force you to get something you didn't want. May not be the case here, but I've seen a few times unfortunately.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:22 AM   #21
CorgiKCD
"TRF" Member

I’m curious why an AD would backdoor a sub or other popular model. Why wouldn’t they just sell it?
CorgiKCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:34 AM   #22
T01
"TRF" Member

Interesting.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #23
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Be careful with the pay in advance method, especially if Tourneau. There are cases were some salespeople take advantage of customers and get them to pay up front and then when they can't get your watch convert you to store credit and force you to get something you didn't want. May not be the case here, but I've seen a few times unfortunately.
Thats true. I am not sure how often this happens. Im hoping this AD wouldnt try such a thing.

Old 20 June 2018, 12:42 AM   #24
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I can understand spending money on pieces you want and building a relationship with an AD. I can't understand a numerical requirement to be "allowed" to buy another luxury item. Suddenly paying a premium to a grey dealer isn't so bad when ADs are asking that you buy 60-75k in product you don't want to get a stainless steel model.

I'm not sure what the average first time buyer is going to do if all they want is a one and only stainless steel piece to celebrate a major milestone. I guess, you have to start considering other brands...
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:57 AM   #25
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiKCD View Post
I’m curious why an AD would backdoor a sub or other popular model. Why wouldn’t they just sell it?
My thoughts, exactly. I was basically told the same thing by my AD last weekend, that even if it comes in and someone wants it, unless they've spent that $60k+ to "get on the list", you can't have it, even if none of their high-spenders want it. Frustrating, because it's the same policy for the BLRO for the next year, he said, which means it will be a while for me... At least a year...

But really, why not just sell it on the floor? If their high-roller list is exhausted, what are they doing by not selling it on the floor? Maybe they can sell it quicker through Grey Market, since having it sit for a few weeks or a month in the case is somehow less desirable?
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:04 AM   #26
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I can understand spending money on pieces you want and building a relationship with an AD. I can't understand a numerical requirement to be "allowed" to buy another luxury item. Suddenly paying a premium to a grey dealer isn't so bad when ADs are asking that you buy 60-75k in product you don't want to get a stainless steel model.

I'm not sure what the average first time buyer is going to do if all they want is a one and only stainless steel piece to celebrate a major milestone. I guess, you have to start considering other brands...
You just described me: I am graduating with my masters and would like to purchase a new SS GMT Master II BLRO to commemorate it and pass down to my (almost) 1-year old son one day. It will be my daily wear, guaranteed. But I've been bumped down the list a couple of times now, even though I was the first person to call and start the list. I have spend only about $15k at that AD, but only on my wife's engagement and wedding bands, not Rolex. I've been saving for "the watch" and always wanted the WG BLRO, but it is way out of my price range, always telling myself that if it came out in steel I would get it... Now it's out, and I can't get it, even though I told them I would pay the 100% down right now. Frustrating.

I don't have the funds to go buy it on the Grey market right now, not for $22k-25K, as I've been seeing. So now I wait... I am worried my AD will want me to bundle it with a DJ or something else, but that hasn't been mentioned yet. I can always sell the DJ afterward, probably for a slight loss, and still pay well under what the Greys are charging...

I could have had a GMT LN black ceramic, but it's a special event, so why not get the one I really want, right?
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:47 AM   #27
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
Not trying to be too pedantic, but the correct spelling is “sought”. I try to suppress the professor in me, but sometimes I cannot. :-)

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post
Why do people need to be shamed for buying a watch that is highly sawt after? Regardless of buying from an AD or grey market.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #28
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Gold View Post
Not trying to be too pedantic, but the correct spelling is “sought”. I try to suppress the professor in me, but sometimes I cannot. :-)

Joe
I was going to check my spelling on that but i got lazy. My wife does the same thing. Thanks.

Old 20 June 2018, 02:11 AM   #29
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Did anyone read the thread about the ‘guy’ (if it wasn’t a family forum I would have had a very different name for him) that walked into an AD that he had never used before and managed to get a Daytona then promptly put it for sale for a huge premium? It irritated me so much it’s almost put me off wanting to collect anymore. Not that I’m bitter or anything haha

TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:19 AM   #30
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Did anyone read the thread about the ‘guy’ (if it wasn’t a family forum I would have had a very different name for him) that walked into an AD that he had never used before and managed to get a Daytona then promptly put it for sale for a huge premium? It irritated me so much it’s almost put me off wanting to collect anymore. Not that I’m bitter or anything haha

Yes. I think every member on the forum commented on that thread.