The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old Today, 07:11 AM   #211
jbk45
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/Polar 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvacc View Post
really sorry to hear about your experience, and the other 2 in this thread. i would'nt be hard on yourself - the reality there are a lot of us in the forum that are not Rolex or watch trading experts or be able to tell the difference between a fake and a real rolex. we are human beings with jobs and other responsibilities, and you sound like someone that has worked hard and has a passion for the brand. the point i'm trying to make - you did some of the right things when purchasing, and asked for references (as everyone recommends). not all of us have 20+hours to spend researching to purchase a watch, some of us buy a home or car with less research time than some spend buying a watch.

you are the victim of a crime (and sounds like a relatively advanced scam thats been planned over many months), and unfortunately in today's world some will blame you. i prefer to blame the criminals and go after them - but its possible these criminals reside outside of the United States.

anyways - i'm sorry to hear about this situation and hope you can get some kind of resolution.
Thank you - much appreciated perspective.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #212
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: <♕>
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvacc View Post
...unfortunately in today's world some will blame you. i prefer to blame the criminals and go after them - but its possible these criminals reside outside of the United States.
I know your comments aren't directed at me in particular and I can't speak for others but even though I may not come across as being compassionate about the the OP's misfortune but I truly am. I hate seeing other hobbyist (and seemingly good folks) getting scammed. Some people are just a-holes.

In my view, the OP did his checks to the best of his abilities & knowledge at the time...maybe bit eager but when finding a piece at a good price, who isn't? The scammers were just one step ahead and I think some of these "criticisms" are more about pointing out such things to others so that hopefully, someone sees this thread and learns from it.

In today's world, with the ease of digital communications and money transactions, you simply need to be more cognizant and frankly, more suspicious of sellers if you want to roll around in the secondary market. It's just a nature of the beast and realistically, it's all a risk anyways. Even from a legit seller you could get a piece that is lost, mistakenly represented (like 16610LV story a while back), etc.

If you don't want to deal with all that, just stick with AD's and some of the very well known sellers here who have a long sales history. That's as safe as you're going to get.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #213
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: <♕>
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo1972sg View Post
Long term Trusted sellers or not, their accounts can still be hacked and be used in scams. This has become prevalent.
This is an easy situation to overcome. In most cases, hacked accounts (especially of an active "trusted" seller) have a VERY limited time span for the scammers to work in (and they know it) so they will almost always put the contact info right in the ad (usually not obscured or coded like johnsmith AT whatevs.com). If the ad's price looks too good to be true or even better than average, just search the sellers older ads and compare contact info. ANY discrepancy is an immediate red flag. Many times the scammers will start a VERY similar looking email address. For example, say the trusted sellers real email is "Watch58xl@gmail.com". The scammers will use "Watch58x1@gmail.com". If you're not paying close attention, it's easy to miss. Also pay attention to the ad style. Most people tend to advertise is a similar manner with similar syntax/writing style.

Even for private sellers, again, if you're even a little suspicious, just search for the seller's older ads and compare contact info, ad styles, etc. If I'm suspicious, I will use the seller's contact info from the OLD sales ad. Or cross check the forums. A lot of people are on the various watch sites under the same user name/email address/contact number/etc.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote