The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 October 2018, 02:51 PM   #91
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Hotel room break in's while occupants are sleeping are more common than people know. That's why I always carry this $30 item that gives me peace of mind while I sleep.

https://www.door-jammer.com/

Old 16 October 2018, 03:00 PM   #92
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Hotel room break in's while occupants are sleeping are more common than people know. That's why I always carry this $30 item that gives me peace of mind while I sleep.

Thanks !
Old 16 October 2018, 03:04 PM   #93
Digitran
"TRF" Member

This reminds me a similar case, where Rafa Nadal's watch was stolen in a similar manner. His Richard Mille watch went missing from his suite at a five-star Parisian luxury hotel, but was later recovered. The watch was found to be in the possession of the hotel's barman. The police traced his hotel access badge, which was used to gain entry to Nadal’s suite where the tennis champion was sleeping during the act.
This is so scary!
Old 16 October 2018, 03:09 PM   #94
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:

awesome - just purchased, thanks
Old 16 October 2018, 04:30 PM   #95
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sorry to hear this.

Always insure your watches away from the home. This is a great reminder for people to be properly insured.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:09 PM   #96
Doch
"TRF" Member

At hotels, always use the safe-box when you sleep or leave the hotel. Make sure you book a room with a box.

I generally dont bring my 116519ln on hollidays. Ill bring my BB 58.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:10 PM   #97
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Dreadful news, sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 16 October 2018, 05:50 PM   #98
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Makes me so angry. I hope you are able to get another one in the future.
Old 16 October 2018, 06:08 PM   #99
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlack View Post
It's a 4 star hotel in the centre. I don't wish to disclose the name. Cause I don't know whether the hotel employees were involved so I don't want to slander.
I think it's irrelevant who was involved. If this hotel has a climate where this is possible then it should be known to all so we are informed.
I never understand these types of "protections" when people are victims of some crime or ill treatment.

Imo opinion, you are not saying "so & so" is guilty. You are simply stating, "this happened" here. The only issue is (with all due respect) whether you are being truthful. But if the story is as stated then there should be no problem. I'm no lawyer but a crime scene is a crime scene. Who is guilty is for someone else to discover.

I understand the hotel staff may be innocent but this can also assist the hotel in becoming aware of ways to prevent this in the future. But, I revert back to my common sense, you were identified, marked and targeted on or around these premises. They are not safe and the identity should be shared so as to protect future victims. I regret to here of your loss and very sorry, but if you don't assist with the identity, you are leaving the door open for a another person to join your club.
Old 16 October 2018, 06:15 PM   #100
Abarth90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 / 18038
Yes i would like to know the place as well so i dont recommend it to friends / visitors.
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 PM   #101
gttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That door jammer doesn’t get great reviews. Seems prone to breaking.

I always lock my hotel door and particularly don’t like when there is an adjoining room. Always makes me a bit nervous.

I was at a hotel recently and the door catch that usually flips in place was broken on my door. The next morning a buddy in another room said when he opened his door without unlocking it the thing just snapped. Gives a very false sense of security.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:05 PM   #102
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Sorry to hear that it got stolen. Eventually I think at some point the watch will turned up at Rolex service center for an overhaul, may be give them a police report with the watch serial number and let’s hope that you will reunited with it soon.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:12 PM   #103
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
This is sad and it makes me furious

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 16 October 2018, 09:05 PM   #104
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
That sucks man. I’m sorry for you.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:25 PM   #105
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I think it's irrelevant who was involved. If this hotel has a climate where this is possible then it should be known to all so we are informed.
I never understand these types of "protections" when people are victims of some crime or ill treatment.

Imo opinion, you are not saying "so & so" is guilty. You are simply stating, "this happened" here. The only issue is (with all due respect) whether you are being truthful. But if the story is as stated then there should be no problem. I'm no lawyer but a crime scene is a crime scene. Who is guilty is for someone else to discover.

I understand the hotel staff may be innocent but this can also assist the hotel in becoming aware of ways to prevent this in the future. But, I revert back to my common sense, you were identified, marked and targeted on or around these premises. They are not safe and the identity should be shared so as to protect future victims. I regret to here of your loss and very sorry, but if you don't assist with the identity, you are leaving the door open for a another person to join your club.
I understand your logic and as a person you are right, but the law isn't always logical. The law states that should I mention the hotel name here or any identifying marks there of i would be open to be sued by the hotel for slander, false advertisment, loss of potential revenue, bad marketing and a host of other subjects. That is because at no point was it proven the hotel bad anything to do with it, it's not proven that this hotel or area is any better or worse than any other hotel or area in the city and it hasn't been proven that the criminal(s) had any affiliation with this specific hotel.
There for the hotel will be able to sue me should they want to.
The law isn't about what happened it's about what is written in the law books and what you can prove.
That's why you see so many criminals get away from punishment because of "lack of proof" and legal loopholes.
So with all due respect the last thing I wish is for someone to join "my club" but I also do not wish to become a target of some lawyer that needs to "show" the hotel why they're paying him his monthly fee.
There for I chose and still choose not to reveal the hotel name and address.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:32 PM   #106
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I understand your logic and as a person you are right, but the law isn't always logical. The law states that should I mention the hotel name here or any identifying marks there of i would be open to be sued by the hotel for slander, false advertisment, loss of potential revenue, bad marketing and a host of other subjects. That is because at no point was it proven the hotel bad anything to do with it, it's not proven that this hotel or area is any better or worse than any other hotel or area in the city and it hasn't been proven that the criminal(s) had any affiliation with this specific hotel.
The law isn't about what happened it's about what is written in the law books and what you can prove.
That's why you see so many criminals get away from punishment because of "lack of proof" and legal loopholes.
So with all due respect the last thing I wish is for someone to join "my club" but I also do not wish to become a target of some lawyer that needs to "show" the hotel why they're paying him his monthly fee.
I don't think you are under any threat if you state all this and say you have no evidence that the hotel or staff were involved. As Rashid says you are just stating the facts of where this happened to you and assigning no blame.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:45 PM   #107
vernplum
Banned

Watch: Hulk
Very sorry to hear. :(
Old 16 October 2018, 09:49 PM   #108
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Very sad but this all sounds a bit fishy to me. The OP didn't lock his door and the door doesn't automatically lock anyway? No insurance? No CCTV in the hotel? The hotel can't be named? The thief easily found the watch in a dark room? Sorry I don't mean to sound negative at all but some of the facts of this story aren't adding up.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:52 PM   #109
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

and I don't want an inevitable response from the OP either. Just writing out what I'm sure many others are thinking. If this was me, I would be telling everyone on this site about the particular hotel as a warning to fellow enthusiasts.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:14 PM   #110
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
and I don't want an inevitable response from the OP either. Just writing out what I'm sure many others are thinking. If this was me, I would be telling everyone on this site about the particular hotel as a warning to fellow enthusiasts.
Well jonesy you're welcome to doubt my truthfulness. I didn't post this to ask something from someone and I am not asking anything of anyone. The fact is I had a Daytona and now I don't. Simple. I just wrote my story to fellow watch lovers. I don't see why anyone would make up a story like that.
I just happen to know the law pretty well and am aware of the risks. I think I.have lost enough by getting my Daytona stolen. I'm really in no mood to go to court over a post in a forum.
I didn't say the hotel will win if I post it, but they can sue and their claim will be legit and then I have to get my own lawyer and go on the defence claiming exactly what you guys wrote saying that this happened to me at that location and I didn't assign blame. And then it's an argument of law articles of what and who and where and a whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo that is very expensive and very time consuming.
And what for ? A name and an address that gives no one any added value ?
It may be that the thief was a tourist just like me and already left.
It may be a gang that targets all nearby hotels.
It may be an hotel employee but you can't prove it.
The scenarios are quasi unlimited. But ones where the hotel is responsible are quite limited. Therefore I don't want to risk it. Because I'm taking an additional risk while no one gets a benefit. Because even if people will avoid this hotel it's no guarantee that the hotel had anything to do with it. Because, for example, if it's a gang that targets all nearby hotels then you're not protected by avoiding this hotel.
But anyways if you want to call me a liar go right ahead. I was just looking for some kind words from fellow watch lovers and I got them from the majority of people here which I appreciate and am thankful for.
I just hope you're not a cop because you'd suck at your job.
The victim is never responsible for the crime. Yes the victim may take precautions but the criminal is responsible.
In this case I'm the victim and because I was stupid enough not to close the door and chose to put my belongings in plain sight does it mean I deserve to get robbed ?
Its the same logic saying girls who wear a mini dress and dance provocatively deserve to be sexually assaulted.
So if you want to play detective at least do it with some tact and calling me a liar because I don't want or can't explain things which are out of my knowledge isn't very amicable.
And if you'll read in precious posts the details to some of your accusations are explained.
Thanks for your input.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:38 PM   #111
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
They can't sue you for a factual claim that you were robbed in their hotel. Your fear of going to court in another country because you out this crappy place to the world is unreasonable and impossible.
Old 16 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #112
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Really? That's no good.

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Old 16 October 2018, 11:58 PM   #113
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
You are confusing the issue. It's the same as people who give bad reviews of hotel stays or bad service on an airline and they do that on the specific web sight clear for all to read.
The place was dirty...
The flight attendant were rude...
There were long lines everywhere...
JFK lost my luggage...
UPS lost my watch...

It is stating a fact. Your watch was indeed stolen, as you say. That happened. You have a police report, you have prior proof of ownership and you did in fact talk to management.

Honestly, I feel less remorse and become suspicious when details are purposely omitted. Someone came into your room while you slept and stole only one item...that is pretty far out....
If I was a victim in this context I would be freaked out beyond belief, and I would inform people of my experience so they can make an informed decision. Your watch was stolen, period...."by who"....you don't know, but it did happened.

It rained everyday while I was in London..the city had crappy cold weather which made our vacation miserable, to top it off, when we arrived at the Marriott they lost our reservation and we had to be rebooked into a smaller room.

It did rain..it was cold...the hotel lost your reservation...you did relocate to another room..all provable details...
You owned a watch, it went missing there, the police report validates this...
Unless of course something else is missing in the details...

slander |ˈslandər|
nounLaw
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation: he is suing the TV network for slander. Compare with libel.
• a false and malicious spoken statement: I've had just about all I can stomach of your slanders.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:01 AM   #114
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
They can't sue you for a factual claim that you were robbed in their hotel. Your fear of going to court in another country because you out this crappy place to the world is unreasonable and impossible.
Actually they can. Again the law is not based on common sense. They may take me to court and say prove you were robbed here and not outside. Prove that it was in your room while you slept. Prove you even had a Rolex and it was a real one. Where did you buy it ? How much did you pay? How do we know you haven't sold it and claimed it's stolen at our hotel? And if you can't that's just giving a bad name to our hotel and we demand you pay damages.
I can't prove that. and the judge will accept my argument hopefully.
But still even if i win it's a long and expensive process for no good reason.
These brands are very protective of their name and image. And posting such a thing especially on a Rolex forum may trigger the "attack" instincts on their lawyers.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:06 AM   #115
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I'm sorry to hear this.

I absolutely hate thieves!!!!!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
Old 17 October 2018, 12:09 AM   #116
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are confusing the issue. It's the same as people who give bad reviews of hotel stays or bad service on an airline and they do that on the specific web sight clear for all to read.
The place was dirty...
JFK lost my luggage...
UPS lost my watch...

It is stating a fact. Your watch was indeed stolen, as you say. That happened. You have a police report, you have prior proof of ownership and you did in fact talk to management.

Honestly, I feel less remorse and become suspicious when details are purposely omitted. Someone came into your room while you slept and stole only one item...that is pretty far out....
If I was a victim in this context I would be freaked out beyond belief, and I would inform people of my experience so they can make an informed decision. Your watch was stolen, period...."by who"....you don't know, but it did happened.

It rained everyday while I was in London..the city had crappy cold weather which made our vacation miserable, to top it off, when we arrived at the Marriott they lost our reservation and we had to be rebooked into a smaller room.

It did rain..it was cold...the hotel lost your reservation...you did relocate to another room..all provable details...

slander |ˈslandər|
nounLaw
the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation: he is suing the TV network for slander. Compare with libel.
• a false and malicious spoken statement: I've had just about all I can stomach of your slanders.
It's actually not the same. Hotel losing your reservation you can prove, you have an email confirming your reservation.
Lost luggage you have a receipt.
Rude airhostess there are witnesses.

My police report only validates what I "claim". It's my word. There is no actual proof. The only thing I can prove is that I bought a Rolex Daytona at a certain date in a certain shop. Anything between then and now is just based on my word.

So yeah big difference.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:10 AM   #117
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Actually they can. Again the law is not based on common sense. They may take me to court and say prove you were robbed here and not outside. Prove that it was in your room while you slept. Prove you even had a Rolex and it was a real one. Where did you buy it ? How much did you pay? How do we know you haven't sold it and claimed it's stolen at our hotel? And if you can't that's just giving a bad name to our hotel and we demand you pay damages.
These brands are very protective of their name and image. And posting such a thing especially on a Rolex forum may trigger the "attack" instincts on their lawyers.
I had sympathy and was following along. Now it's just weird; anyone so paranoid as to think that a hotel will sue them over factual statements made in a relatively obscure corner of the web seems like someone who would lock every door everywhere every time.

Must be a cultural thing that I don't understand.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #118
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
I had sympathy and was following along. Now it's just weird; anyone so paranoid as to think that a hotel will sue them over factual statements made in a relatively obscure corner of the web seems like someone who would lock every door everywhere every time.

Must be a cultural thing that I don't understand.
Exactly.

Quote:
Best of luck man.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:33 AM   #119
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The place was dirty...
JFK lost my luggage...
UPS lost my watch...

slander |ˈslandər|
nounLaw
I agree Rashid but in this case there was a crime and things get different. Maybe the OP is taking extreme precautions right now after what he may have considered a 'lapse' on his end, but truth is he's right IMO.

Quote:
It's actually not the same. Hotel losing your reservation you can prove, you have an email confirming your reservation.
Lost luggage you have a receipt.
Rude airhostess there are witnesses.

My police report only validates what I "claim". It's my word. There is no actual proof. The only thing I can prove is that I bought a Rolex Daytona at a certain date in a certain shop. Anything between then and now is just based on my word.

So yeah big difference.
Agree.

I only hope it was not at Kaiserhof Hotel or Am Stephansplatz because I love both and when I'm there that's where I stay.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:42 AM   #120
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I only hope it was not at Kaiserhof Hotel or Am Stephansplatz because I love both and when I'm there that's where I stay.
Well I can confirm that it wasn't at those places.
Closed Thread