The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Rolex and other durable high quality brands

This may be way off topic, but I'll try and see if this post gets any respons.

To me (I know some may not agree) Rolex gives me much value for the money. The biggest reason for why I choose Rolex is because they are so durable, so flawlessly made and they last a life time and even more too.

I like items that are durable and gives me much value for money. So I want to hear about other useful items that are very durable, long lasting and of exceptional quality compared to price.

Another brand I also like is Leatherman. They are so durable and so good quality for the money you pay. And the guarantee and service is exceptional. At a vacation, my wife used the Leatherman to open Coconut's and then washed it in the sea A couple of weeks later when I pack it out everything is just rust. I send it in, they replaced it all free of charge. My father also had a Leatherman that was probably 10 year old, and he had just broken the knife on the middle because he was reckless with it. I sent it in and they did not only change the knife, but lots of other tools too that they decided was not up to standard. Again free of charge.

So Rolex and Leatherman are two of my favorite useful, and durable brands that I use on a daily basis. Anyone got other brands to recommend?
Old 7 August 2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

For quality, one brand which jumps out is Hermes. Putting aside the advertising and hype, every single product I have from there is simply first rate quality - the sort of thing that should last long enough to hand down to the next generation.

Funnily enough, I don't know if the same would apply to their watches...
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Xxmikeyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Snap-On Tools. The best tools in the world. No other brand comes close.
Old 7 August 2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxmikeyb View Post
Snap-On Tools. The best tools in the world. No other brand comes close.
Agree
Used them during my aircraft engineering career and have to say they are the best
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 08:39 PM   #5
avalvo
"TRF" Member

I am a big believer in the value of a brand and Rolex does a fine job of maintaining that value and prestige. There are, however, points of diminishing returns.

Rolex is a well made watch, so is Omega.. There are other good examples as well.

I try to pick a point on the value curve that works best for me. I think Rolex is right about at that point where incremental dollars just do not yield much in terms of real value. Are other watches a better value, maybe. Much depends on what you pay and what is important to you.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
avalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 08:39 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like durable goods and companies that stand behind the products they produce.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 08:40 PM   #7
dnslater
"TRF" Member

There is a nice Reddit called Buy it for Life. All about products like this, that you buy just once. I like to follow this, although it really only makes sense for certain products.

Of course as I get older, "Buy it for Life" becomes a relative term. I have some of my Grandfather's hand tools though and love the idea of passing down items that are well made and built for the long haul.
dnslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 09:38 PM   #8
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Brunswick Gold Crown pool tables. I had no hesitation putting a 40 year old one in a newly remodeled basement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180510_204905.jpg (138.4 KB, 1759 views)
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

As a outdoorsman, I value my equipment and quality. One is a high quality pair of boots. There are a few top shelf brands but most are all made in either Italy or Germany. My Italian Zambetlan is a favorite.

I agree with the OP, Rolex has a “x factor” of durability built in. Other brands do as well but they might not be as recognized.

Old 7 August 2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Toyota Land Cruiser
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 10:35 PM   #11
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
There is a nice Reddit called Buy it for Life. All about products like this, that you buy just once. I like to follow this, although it really only makes sense for certain products.

Of course as I get older, "Buy it for Life" becomes a relative term. I have some of my Grandfather's hand tools though and love the idea of passing down items that are well made and built for the long haul.
This exactly! I concur with everything! I will look into this reddit thread! Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Brunswick Gold Crown pool tables. I had no hesitation putting a 40 year old one in a newly remodeled basement.
Wow 40 years old, it looks amazing!
Old 7 August 2018, 10:42 PM   #12
JohnGT3RS
"TRF" Member

Porsche. Rolex and Porsche are both high end luxury brands. Yes, there are more expensive and exclusive brands out there. Ferrari, Patek, etc., but they don’t have the reliability and relative value of Rolex and Porsche.
JohnGT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 10:50 PM   #13
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Festool and Leica come to mind - the quality of these brands is amazing.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 10:56 PM   #14
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flier View Post
Agree
Used them during my aircraft engineering career and have to say they are the best
I tend to agree regarding Snap On...BUT I would also say it depends on what exact hand tool. I think Knippex edges out Snap On in the pliers department. But when it comes to sockets and wrenches...its Snap On.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:02 PM   #15
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I forgot to also mention; I'm particularly fond of Filson Bags.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:04 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Toyota Land Cruiser

I agree for its off-road to street functionality.

For street only + Volvo.

Maybe not flashy but safe and stable. Kinda like a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:06 PM   #17
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
As a outdoorsman, I value my equipment and quality. One is a high quality pair of boots. There are a few top shelf brands but most are all made in either Italy or Germany. My Italian Zambetlan is a favorite.

I agree with the OP, Rolex has a “x factor” of durability built in. Other brands do as well but they might not be as recognized.

Holy crap, I never thought I'd find another human with some Zamberlans. I had a pair of those same red ones. They are freaking gorgeous and very well made. See if I can dig up a pic of mine.

As for the op. I agree with your comments on Rolex. Suunto has done the very same for me like your Leathermans. I'm also a diehard Arcteryx nut. And I have the same experiences with another hobby in knives.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Divie1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS 1815 up & down
Purdey
Trickers shoes
John Deere
Barbour wax jackets

Same catagory as Rolex to me!
Divie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:11 PM   #19
blind2
"TRF" Member

Mcintosh audio equipment.
Rock solid.
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/
blind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Holy crap, I never thought I'd find another human with some Zamberlans. I had a pair of those same red ones. They are freaking gorgeous and very well made. See if I can dig up a pic of mine.

As for the op. I agree with your comments on Rolex. Suunto has done the very same for me like your Leathermans. I'm also a diehard Arcteryx nut. And I have the same experiences with another hobby in knives.
I agree......love Arcteryx. You should also check-out Mammut, Norrona, and Haglofs. Backcountry.com has gotten enough of my money over the years to buy a very nice new Rolex.

I definitely agree with this philosophy......buy right and buy once. Good quality items are worth the money most of the time. In the long run, often times you spend less money.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:28 PM   #21
StuartM1970
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Mark XV
My Dunhill sidecar pen has been doing daily duty for more than a decade... dropped, stood on, bashed around and taken everywhere. It's my Inception totem and let's me know I'm not dreaming. The Leatherman alongside is the most useful press gift I ever got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6124 (1).jpg (94.4 KB, 1594 views)
StuartM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:44 PM   #22
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Let me also add Stanley Thermos. I remember my parents had/have one of these wean I was young and we used it on every trip camping and I used it at all my school trips, it must have lasted at least 20-25 years!

Old 7 August 2018, 11:54 PM   #23
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

Let’s face it, once you get use to a really good pair of handmade boots, everything else feels like you are cutting corners. I am getting this discriminate with a lot of things in my life these days besides watches.
Old 8 August 2018, 12:03 AM   #24
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Toyota Land Cruiser
No doubt.

It’s nice to see my 22 year old 80 Series LandCruiser start moving up in value.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:04 AM   #25
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGT3RS View Post
Porsche. Rolex and Porsche are both high end luxury brands. Yes, there are more expensive and exclusive brands out there. Ferrari, Patek, etc., but they don’t have the reliability and relative value of Rolex and Porsche.
Porsche have appalling reliability issues. They’re amongst the worst of the VAG brands.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:17 AM   #26
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Rolex and other durable high quality brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGT3RS View Post

The first time in my car enthusiast life that I have heard Porsche and reliability in the same sentence. Perhaps they offer a good performance bang for the buck relative to other high end brands, but reliability? None of the German brands offer reliability. My 2011 BMW 335d with 77k miles on it just requires a $1500 replacement of harmonic balancer ( crank shaft pulley) two weeks ago, leaving me stranded in my work parking lot. I have vowed my next ‘reliable’ car would be Japanese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 12:28 AM   #27
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

Saddleback Leather Bags... They will fight over it when you are dead...
Old 8 August 2018, 01:38 AM   #28
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Most have been mentioned, but mentioning them again is testament to their quality:
- Barbour wax coats
- Arcteryx outerwear is bombproof
- Patagonia is a close second, and they stand behind their gear like no one else I've seen
- Whites boots: I bought their Smokejumper boots when I fought forest fires years ago, and let's say they will outlast me...
- Danner Boots: for "off the shelf" gear they make phenomenally rugged boots
- Leatherman tools: never had one fail on me. The same can't be said for Gerber...
- Emerson knives (probably the best pocket knife I have ever owned)

I have several other brands that I find their quality is excellent, especially for their price tag, but most of them go "bang" and can't be mentioned...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 02:03 AM   #29
"TRF" Member

Porsche (specifically aircooled), Leica photography equipment, Herman Miller furniture, Rolex watches. These would be my top 4.
405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 02:21 AM   #30
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I base a lot of costs on usage. If I bought a jacket for £500 and wore it twice, it’s costs me £250 a wear. However if I wore it twice a week for 5 years it’s cost me £1 a time.

That’s what I like about Rolex - not only the cost of wearing it every day for years makes it pennies a go, you can actually get all your money back! Even better you can sell for a profit

Rolex has to be one of the best value for money products out there.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote