The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 29 January 2011, 10:06 AM   #61
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Simply if you can get a price beween them to within $100 go with the local AD. If not them apply the following formula:

AD = high price + cold fizzy drink + butt kissed / ignored

TRF Seller = money saved + attentive service + money saved

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 10:28 AM   #62
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
No sense thinking about it until you comfortably have the cash and are ready to make a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been saving for my first (and only) Rolex purchase for a few months now and am about halfway there. After debating between a classic Sub and Sub-C , I have my heart set on the ceramic.

As I’ve gotten closer to being able to make my purchase, I’ve been dropping by a few ADs in my area to just “test the waters” and get a general idea of what I’ll be having to shell out cash-wise, as well as trying on the various watches that have sparked my interest.

It seems that prices on TRF are better when making comparisons to the AD. Not drastically better, but definitely more appealing. Unfortunately, when I talk “discounts” with the ADs, they offer nothing. In fact, they offer no real incentive for me to purchase other than the usual sales scare tactic about “prices going up next week” and discussing their financing option if I wanted to go that route instead of paying all at once (which is my preferred method). I find their refusal to mildly negotiate to be a little unusual, but have been told that unless you’re a regular, don’t expect to walk in and get any accommodations. Although, maybe the fact that I admit that I’m still in the process of saving and not showing up with the intent to purchase right then and there doesn’t give them the motivation to attempt to work with me.

It seems that TRF is the way to go if you’re wanting to get the best price, although I’m wondering, are there any disadvantages to this? If a seller is reputable and the price is right, why would I bother spending a little more at an AD? The warranty (provided it’s available) should still be intact and transferable, right? Does it really just boil down to not being able to run to the AD where I purchased it if problems were to arise?

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to purchase when I hit 7K – which seems doable when I frequently browse TRF. At a local AD in my area? Not so doable. Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price? Hell, the sales tax alone makes me want to hurl!
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 10:49 AM   #63
jbullis
"TRF" 2011 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II, Datejust
My purchases from the AD with discount, I got better treatment when I was purchasing my Scag mower. I am in the market for a new watch, I have been been looking to my AD to see if I like them, but my purchase will be from the TRF
jbullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 11:37 AM   #64
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I never buy new - so the AD is not an option for me. I am not willing to pay the premium for a new watch from an AD. This is just me. Rolex ADs provide a WONDERFUL service for the largest part of the Rolex market place. People buying new watches. We at TRF are a niche market, buying used Rolexes from private parties - but that is the ONLY way I have and will buy my watches. Many people need to own the 1st Ipad, 1st Iphone 4, 1st Sub Ceramic, etc. I have no problem at all with that philosophy - it's just not me.
Those folks go to a Rolex AD, generally enjoy a no hassle, risk free experience - but pay a premium for it.
I wait and buy the 2-3 year old GMT Ceramic or 16710 for thousands less from a trusted seller on this forum. That way, I know I can always sell the watch in a month or a year (if I have to or want to) and I ALWAYS make a few bucks or breakeven. Try buying a Rolex from an AD, then selling in a year - ouch!!!
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:15 PM   #65
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Wow...I've been visiting the wrong AD's. You guys get Champagne, cigars and snacks??

Here are my AD experiences:

1986..spend $1,500 on Coke GMT .."Thank you come again"
1988...spend $10,000 on an 18K DD..."Thank you come again"...oh...the President of the store was there and put it on my wrist...BFD!
2008...spend $5000 on LV Sub...I get a mailer about their next sale....I call and ask about a Milguass GV...I'm told $10,000
2010 Spend $500+ at new AD for a servicing....then tell sales person I'll pay cash for that Milgauss, is there any discount?...I'm laughed at.

2010...I bought my TT ceramic Sub from DavidSW and can highly recommend him. Excellent price, very fair trade in value for my LV and very knowledgeable.

If you can find an AD who'll give you a good discount, good product knowledge, good service and no lies, then by all means make the purchase.

IMO, these individuals are very few and very far apart.

Just my

Best of luck to you...you'll be VERY happy with a ceramic Sub
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 01:29 PM   #66
1Utama
"TRF" Member

Go to an AD

At least for your first new watch purchase. It's not so much for the "experience" but developing a continuing relationship with an AD(s) will ensure that they give you preferential discounts down the road including flexible waranties or services extending beyond the warranties. Additionally, you are priortized for the first crack at the hard-to-find models like limited releases. And as you expand your collection particularly into other brands, a continuing AD relationship is invaluable.

Personally, I highly value the proper/correct paperwork and the peace of mind that the watch(es) I'm buying has gone thru the requisite quality controlled standards and authorized channels and personnel -it's not everyday I buy a watch.

I've additionally bought from gray dealers to my full satisfaction particularly for "hot" limited run models although the origin of the watch, and prior owner(s), does make it less comforting.
1Utama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:36 PM   #67
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Only time I am going to an AD is to look at watches I am going to buy from here muahhahahaa

Here in Canada we have something called HST... 13% tax.
Old 29 January 2011, 03:36 PM   #68
autofiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
Only time I am going to an AD is to look at watches I am going to buy from here muahhahahaa
+1
autofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 04:06 PM   #69
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Isn't it a bit interesting about the differences between AD's and discounts? It is all over the map. If you live by a good one, you're in luck. If not, it's on to the net.

It's kind of surprising to me actually.
Old 29 January 2011, 04:26 PM   #70
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
Isn't it a bit interesting about the differences between AD's and discounts? It is all over the map. If you live by a good one, you're in luck. If not, it's on to the net.

It's kind of surprising to me actually.
Here's my issue - I go down to the AD - I ask to see a DSSD - she shows... doesn't give me the price just says ridiculous expensive... and you know what? She's right - $10,500.

I say let me see a Rolex SubC - price? $8500
I say let me see a Rolex GMTIIc - price? $8500

I mean seriously... why would I? I have a connection here that can get me watches in the 7000 range and below depending on LNIB vs. BNIB. I'm not even interested in haggling (which I love to do and do often...) With those prices they will be lucky to get my service business (which they quoted me between 700-900 depending on the shape of the watch...) I'd just assume go down to Seattle where the US to CAD dollar is par and it's massively cheaper.
Old 29 January 2011, 05:13 PM   #71
koryburton1
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 116610LV
Maybe I have a good AD, but my last two purchases went like this:
1. 116000 orange concentric - list was $4,400.00 plus taxes, etc...I told them $3900 out the door, done deal.
2. Explorer 1 39mm - listt $5,725.00 plus taxes, I offer 5,200 out the door, sold.

However, when going pre-owned it's hard to beat TRF.
koryburton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 07:35 PM   #72
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

To me there's something distasteful about visiting an AD, trying on their watches with no intention of buying from them, then going off to buy from a grey dealer. I'm sorry but that doesn't work for me. Not all ADs are crooks or rude a$%holes - many are honest, decent people who want to make a proper living and would love to offer grey prices but are constrained by the margins set by their superiors. Also, since they run a bricks and mortar business - fancy showrooms in expensive malls to display the watches - they have to cover large overheads, hence the higher prices.

For me, it isn't only about money - in the 20 years that I've been buying watches, I prefer to deal with an AD who has given me excellent service and has now become a friend.

He's bent over backwards to satisfy my wishes, to the extent of replacing a brand new watch that I had worn for a week simply because it didn't have the latest serial number (it was a Z series with no rehaut engraving and I decided after a week that I wanted the engraving). He took everything back, including the warranty card that had my details on it and gave me a new watch, card etc without question.

I'm not saying you should only buy from ADs or that we should avoid grey dealers. Obviously the price is important and clearly, different people have had different experiences with ADs. But I am saying that for some of us, we prefer to stick to ADs for various reasons, one of which is peace of mind. It all boils down to personal preference and for me at least, money is only one of the inputs in my purchase decision.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 07:41 PM   #73
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Go to a Professional AD. Avoid the hassle and worries.
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 09:43 PM   #74
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Go to an AD. You can try and touch. It is a nice experience. You can get a discount and more importantly, you walk away wearing your watch! They set the time, size the bracelet, take off the labels and protective material. All good to go!

And its an experience you remember. Pushing the door, ready to buy. Looking forward to trying it on. Making the decision. Leaving the store with the watch. Going to a restaurant or café near by to admire your watch in the wild....You don't get that getting a watch through the mail....
Old 29 January 2011, 09:44 PM   #75
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
To me it is simple--where can I get the best deal from. If it is AD -great. If it is DavidSW, Tony G, Greg G, or Oscar--then one of them as they are all top notch guys and honest as can be! In the end once you wear watch out of store it is wirth the same amount regardless where you got it--so save the money and go with the very best price!!! I could care less about the experience of buying at an AD personally. Show me the money!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 09:50 PM   #76
phantom357
"TRF" Member

Watch: me drink Guinness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
To me it is simple--where can I get the best deal from. If it is AD -great. If it is DavidSW, Tony G, Greg G, or Oscar--then one of them as they are all top notch guys and honest as can be! In the end once you wear watch out of store it is wirth the same amount regardless where you got it--so save the money and go with the very best price!!! I could care less about the experience of buying at an AD personally. Show me the money!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. Excuse my brevity.
phantom357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 10:03 PM   #77
SoCal C4S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Is it even a question? I can name at least 5 trusted sellers on here that I would buy from. :)
Old 29 January 2011, 11:59 PM   #78
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

I don't think you will hear much about discount until you are ready to buy and do some hard bargaining. If you keep visiting the store every few weeks or month and build up a friendly relationship with the staff, you might find yourself in a better position come purchase day. Tell them I am ready to purchase. I can buy it today and am willing to pay $XXXXXXX if they say no

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 05:07 AM   #79
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Well for me, it came down to price. After searching and visiting Ad's in Vancouver, Montreal, Vegas and even in the Caribbean.. non could come near the price I paid for a V serial TT DJ from a trusted TRF seller...papers and all.
What I saved could by lots of champagne...even DP.!!
My $.02 worth...!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 03:31 AM   #80
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Agreed.
AD's want to know if the customer is ready to buy today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
I don't think you will hear much about discount until you are ready to buy and do some hard bargaining. If you keep visiting the store every few weeks or month and build up a friendly relationship with the staff, you might find yourself in a better position come purchase day. Tell them I am ready to purchase. I can buy it today and am willing to pay $XXXXXXX if they say no
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 11:11 AM   #81
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
Agreed.
AD's want to know if the customer is ready to buy today.
Well, I came in ready to buy to 2 different AD's in Michigan. It was a SS, but no discount for me...
Off to the trusted sellers
Old 31 January 2011, 11:27 AM   #82
m5blitzer

Watch: Enough is enough!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
Well, I came in ready to buy to 2 different AD's in Michigan. It was a SS, but no discount for me...
Off to the trusted sellers
PM me and I can refer you to an AD. No promises but no harm to try.
m5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 01:05 PM   #83
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

I got my 1 st from an AD which is normal and good experience but I think there is alot of trusted sellers here so maybe I will try to do buissness with them in my next one
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 02:20 PM   #84
koryburton1
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 116610LV
If you haven't already bought from an AD, piggyback off of one of your friends who has. Myself and two friends all buy from the same dealer. As a result we all get discounts and they get to sell a bunch a watches.
koryburton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 03:13 PM   #85
greg8125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SM 120m Auto
One thing to consider is that in about 47 states the AD is going to charge you sales tax, whereas your likely will not be paying any sales tax through secondary channels. The sales tax might be significant (10% here) and could end up being squandered or pilfered by politicians (I live in Illinois), or it could end up providing necessary goods and services to support your local community (police, education, debt service). Just one thing to consider depending on your state and outlook.
greg8125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 04:17 PM   #86
Xpert37

Watch: 16610
I say either go with TRF trusted sellers or if you don't mind a used Rolex as your first, then some trusted internet grey dealers such as Bernard Watch, Bob's Watches, Capetown Jewelers and Swiss-Wrist. They all have very good ratings on Better Business Bureau and they provide at least 1-year warranty on your used Rolex.

Tax savings could be significant when you consider buying a Rolex. For me, I never buy from a local AD - I would go to local AD only to try out the watches and know what I want. Once I figure that out, I'll be buying from out-of-state sources to save $$.
Xpert37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 08:07 PM   #87
duckdown
"TRF" Member

Watch: d a t e j u s t 2
Do any AD's here in Canada beat the well known TRF sellers prices ever is what I'd love to know. Was looking to purchase from DavidSW but I'm always interested in saving money of course

What am I buying next? I want a solid 18k gold Rolex.
Got a great deal I should know about within my budget? Tell me!!
duckdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 09:17 PM   #88
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
buy from an aAD in brasil isn't an option (116613 us$14k!!!!!!!!), so i buy in usa from trf sellers.
Old 1 February 2011, 02:29 PM   #89
gold canyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
I purchased my first three Rolexes from AD's and was never given a discount even though I wanted one. Their service was good and they tend to swarm around me every time I walk into their store (which I hate). I find it particularly irritating when they ask you about your profession and start to get too personal. Overall, they are knowledgeable about their watches but not as knowledgeable as the guys on TRF. Some AD's that I've gone to didn't know how to operate the easy link system on the bracelet. But, they were nice people.

I've purchased some really good Rolexes from Mark Theken here on TRF and enjoyed each transaction. He's never disappointed me. I've also purchased many Rolexes from DavidSW, some BNIB, and there's never been an issue of having my name on the warranty card. BOTH of these sellers respond super fast to email (even at night when the AD's are closed, and most people are sleeping) all in the comfort of my home (and less frequently, when I'm in my office) so they're really great to do business with are are pretty fair with trades as well.
gold canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2011, 02:37 PM   #90
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
IT depends on how important the Rolex experience is to you. I bought my GMT from an AD and got all the whole works, i.e. the white gloves, the champagne, the flattery etc. All of which I loved. The second Rolex I bought, my DateJust, I went through DavidSW on here as I didn't really need all the fanfare. If you don't mind paying a little more and really want the whole treatment, go to an AD. IF you want to really impress someone, take them along too!
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote