The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Omega Master Co-Axial

Reading through ABTW's article (for the second or third time) on the new Seamaster AT Master Co-Axial (http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-se...watches-hands/), I cannot get over how impressive the new Master Co-Axial movements are and Omega's goal to bring these new movements to all of their watches (that have the in-house movements, of course) by 2016.

Although 15,000 gauss anti-magnetic resistance isn't the the most useful feature, I think it is a step in the right direction in terms of bringing mechanical movements into the 21st century and definitely the right move for Omega.

Does anybody else feel the same way? Honestly, I'm surprised that there isn't more talk about this. The thought of a Speedy 9300 Master Co-Axial just makes my mouth water. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what Omega comes out with in the next two years.

Ok, enough of my rambling.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 03:27 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I absolutely agree with you. They seem to be modernizing mechanical watches in impressive ways. And really, why shouldn't every mechanical watch be anti-magnetic? Like you said, this is the 21st century.

Like you, I am a big fan of the master co-axials. I just got my PO 8500 Ti this summer, but I may need to upgrade in a year or two when they throw a master co-axial into the PO (not to mention their new clasps with micro adjustment).
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I absolutely agree with you. They seem to be modernizing mechanical watches in impressive ways. And really, why shouldn't every mechanical watch be anti-magnetic? Like you said, this is the 21st century.

Like you, I am a big fan of the master co-axials. I just got my PO 8500 Ti this summer, but I may need to upgrade in a year or two when they throw a master co-axial into the PO (not to mention their new clasps with micro adjustment).

I think the new Omega movements are really beautiful. They're not beautiful in the same way that a Patek movement is, but in a modern way (and that is the whole point). I admire Omega for embracing the future, but in a traditional way.

A Planet Ocean Master Co-Axial would be another amazing watch. Omega is making some pretty serious watches and I am looking forward to seeing them strengthen their collection in the near future. I definitely see another Omega in my (small, but growing!) collection.
Old 27 August 2014, 04:43 PM   #4
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
It's too bad Omega removed the date window marker on the dial. That was a step backwards IMO. Still a beautiful watch though, especially for the $$.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 11:34 PM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Omega is making some technically amazing watches these days.
Old 28 August 2014, 12:55 AM   #6
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Omega has an impressive line-up. It is quite exciting to see that they are making their own movements, playing in innovative fields and maintaining prices where their watches are still affordable. Well done!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post
It's too bad Omega removed the date window marker on the dial. That was a step backwards IMO. Still a beautiful watch though, especially for the $$.
That's a minor detail. Personally, I think the watches look slightly better without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Omega is making some technically amazing watches these days.
And they, for the most part, house these modern movements in fairly traditional looking watches. It's a win-win situation.

My only hope is that they cut back on the LEs and focus on a more streamlined, core collection (a la Rolex).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Omega has an impressive line-up. It is quite exciting to see that they are making their own movements, playing in innovative fields and maintaining prices where their watches are still affordable. Well done!
Well, Omega prices have definitely gone way up in recent years, but it isn't for nothing. Omega watches from 10 years ago are nothing like their watches now. They have their sights set on Rolex.
Old 28 August 2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Well, Omega prices have definitely gone way up in recent years, but it isn't for nothing. Omega watches from 10 years ago are nothing like their watches now. They have their sights set on Rolex.
I don't mind the price increases as long as some changes come with it. I cannot recall the last time they had a price increase that did not accompany an improvement.

I don't believe the original 8500 series ever had a price increase and now the latest increase for the AT line is due to the antimagnetic movement.

Even the Speedy Pro price increase comes with a fancy, albeit totally unnecessary, new box and some additional straps.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Shem
"TRF" Member

I truly believe that Omega is one of the best values in watchmaking today. There's no one else making beautifully decorated, high-tech, innovative in-house movements at the price point that Omega is, and they continue to move the state of the art forward in everything from movement technology (co-axial, Si14, >15000 Gauss anti-magnetic) to case/crown/pusher materials (DSOTM).

The fact that each price increase is accompanied with a corresponding technical achievement is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
Even the Speedy Pro price increase comes with a fancy, albeit totally unnecessary, new box and some additional straps.
I recently purchased this set. It's awesome, extremely well made (I daresay better than the DSOTM and LE boxes I've seen, with possible exception of the 50th anniversary wooden watchmaker tools box set), and finally does the Speedy Pro the justice it deserves. As the original "moonwatch," I personally think it should be given a presentation at least as good as all the myriad LEs that Omega has released over the years...and yet until now, it was only given the standard red vinyl box. It's long overdue for this historical, flagship watch to have a commensurate presentation.

We WIS, who tend to buy and appreciate many watches from many brands, tend to simply throw the boxes in the closet with the others once we get the next watch in our wrist...but we are an extremely tiny portion of Omega's customer base. For many more customers, buying something like the Speedy Pro is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase with the expectation that it will be an heirloom to pass down to the kids and grandkids, and I think the box set will not only resonate well with people buying for that purpose, but with anyone that becomes interested in the space program and historical legacy of the watch (a demographic which I think far exceeds the WIS demographic).

It's easy for us to forget that we're a small minority of Omega's customers (thankfully -- otherwise prices would be much higher!), and that for many buyers of a single Omega, it's a very big deal. The presentation of the watch makes a huge difference to the majority of customers, and therefore to the overall status and prestige of the brand. Regardless of our personal desire (or lack thereof) for special boxes, we may all benefit in the long term from Omega appearing very upmarket to the masses.

Not to mention...Rolex increases prices and all you get is a Rolex and the same crappy green box. Omega chose to increase the price on a flagship model that they can't do anything to for historical reasons, and they gave it a bracelet upgrade and a (magnificent) box set. For me, it's hard to criticize them when they're at least doing SOMETHING to add value.
Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 10:31 AM   #10
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
Omega Master Co-Axial

I love the 9300 Speedmaster. Especially the titanium blue one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Shem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheDeuce View Post

That's beautiful!!!! I saw that one at the Boutique recently and it was incredible. The blue is so rich and photos don't do it justice at all. Very tempting!
Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 10:58 AM   #12
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Omega focusing on their core and ending LEs really isn't keeping with their tradition. Omega continuously changes their line to keep it new and fresh, and they have since wristwatches were a thing.

Take the Seamaster. Hundreds have been made over the past 65 years, in all shapes, colors, and movements. We see the 300 as genesis but it really isn't, lots came before and lots since.

I think it's what makes Omega, well Omega. Rolex made the 5500 for 37 years without a change. Omega doesn't make the same watch for more than 5 or so. The great thing is, it keeps the line dynamic and vintage fans like me are always discovering new watches.
Old 28 August 2014, 11:59 AM   #13
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I truly believe that Omega is one of the best values in watchmaking today. There's no one else making beautifully decorated, high-tech, innovative in-house movements at the price point that Omega is, and they continue to move the state of the art forward in everything from movement technology (co-axial, Si14, >15000 Gauss anti-magnetic) to case/crown/pusher materials (DSOTM).
Well said.

Quote:

The titanium Speedy is a beauty. The bezel is ceramic, correct? Do you know if the bezel on the SS model is also ceramic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Omega focusing on their core and ending LEs really isn't keeping with their tradition. Omega continuously changes their line to keep it new and fresh, and they have since wristwatches were a thing.

Take the Seamaster. Hundreds have been made over the past 65 years, in all shapes, colors, and movements. We see the 300 as genesis but it really isn't, lots came before and lots since.

I think it's what makes Omega, well Omega. Rolex made the 5500 for 37 years without a change. Omega doesn't make the same watch for more than 5 or so. The great thing is, it keeps the line dynamic and vintage fans like me are always discovering new watches.
Good points. You're right.

The problem with this is that, since there have been so many models, most but a select few have been forgotten. Compared to Rolex, there aren't nearly as many Omegas that have developed a cult following (but the ones that have, have a strong following). IMO, a cult following really strengthens brand image.
Old 28 August 2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Nsingh
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC GMTII-C
Here are a couple wrist shots of the new master coaxial skyfall blue 41.5 mm aqua terra....love it so far....thanks Kirill - great seller

image.jpg
Nsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Nsingh
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC GMTII-C
image.jpg
Nsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Very nice. Let's see that beautiful movement!
Old 28 August 2014, 02:10 PM   #17
DrTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt master
omegas get all my wrist time now....you wait, i think they're moving up the outside on the home stretch.....
DrTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2014, 12:25 AM   #18
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
That's beautiful!!!! I saw that one at the Boutique recently and it was incredible. The blue is so rich and photos don't do it justice at all. Very tempting!
Thanks! I highly recommend it...
WhatTheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2014, 12:28 AM   #19
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The titanium Speedy is a beauty. The bezel is ceramic, correct? Do you know if the bezel on the SS model is also ceramic?
It is indeed ceramic, but I'm not sure about the SS model...

Old 29 August 2014, 12:30 AM   #20
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is indeed ceramic, but I'm not sure about the SS model...

It appears that the SS model has an aluminum bezel...
Old 29 August 2014, 05:49 AM   #21
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It appears that the SS model has an aluminum bezel...
Aw, that's too bad.
Old 29 August 2014, 06:27 AM   #22
dr.ahmeduddin
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss Daytona
Gmt

I like the Aqua Terra GMT better than the Rolex GMT as the bezel on the Rolex seems overdone. The co axial movement of the Aqua Terra is cutting edge as well and Rolex has not come up with a newer method.
dr.ahmeduddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2014, 06:43 AM   #23
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I have to disagree with you. As much as I like the AT150, the GMT just seems a bit 'odd' to me - maybe it's because of the odd-hour second timezone references on the dial. I really like the Rolex GMT II-C. It's my second-favorite next to the Speedy. If Omega would put a rotating bezel on the 150 GMT, I would very seriously consider selling my II-C and picking one up.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2015, 10:45 AM   #24
mergroa
"TRF" Member

mergroa

Just got a "Golf Edition" of the "Master Co-Axial" Omega and am very happy with it's appearance and performance.
mergroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2015, 11:20 AM   #25
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote