The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 December 2009, 02:32 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Perhaps an odd question...

Dear fellow TRF members,

I recently re sized my sub (fitted with the 93150 oyster bracelet) such that it fits tightly on my wrist (snug enough that it doesn't flap around, yet I can still get a finger in between my wrist and the watch).

I notice that if my wrist perspires or if there is a lot of humidity outside, the watch seems to stay in one place for a while on my wrist... which doesn't bother me... however here is where the weirdest thing happens which im almost embarrassed to describe.

When i take the watch off after a few hours, my wrist (only the spot contacting the polished clasp portion of the bracelet) sometimes smells "funky"... you know that kind of smell that happens when you have a band-aid on for too long...

Of course, after i wash my wrist and the bracelet with soap and water things are fine again. Now, your probably thinking, it must just be the perspiration and lack of breath ability via the tightness of the bracelet...BUT i've worn other watches that are as tight and i've NEVER had this problem before. Furthermore... why does this only happen on the place on my wrist that touches the polished surface and not the brushed surfaces?

I'm a bit of a clean freak so naturally having to wash my wrist and the bracelet every day or so drives me nuts. Has anyone else every experienced this? Could it be an allergic reaction to the SS used in the bracelet... its from the early 80s. Did rolex ever change the SS on the 93150s?

Thoughts?

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 24 February 2020, 10:33 AM   #2
newu5er
"TRF" Member

I'm thinking exactly as you say...this bracelet doesn't have a lot of are for your wrist to breathe compared to other bracelets. I don't think the steel composition changed, but have a similar scenario with one of my toe rings during the summer time. The best you can do is just keep the area dry and clean to the best of your ability.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Dear fellow TRF members,

I recently re sized my sub (fitted with the 93150 oyster bracelet) such that it fits tightly on my wrist (snug enough that it doesn't flap around, yet I can still get a finger in between my wrist and the watch).

I notice that if my wrist perspires or if there is a lot of humidity outside, the watch seems to stay in one place for a while on my wrist... which doesn't bother me... however here is where the weirdest thing happens which im almost embarrassed to describe.

When i take the watch off after a few hours, my wrist (only the spot contacting the polished clasp portion of the bracelet) sometimes smells "funky"... you know that kind of smell that happens when you have a band-aid on for too long...

Of course, after i wash my wrist and the bracelet with soap and water things are fine again. Now, your probably thinking, it must just be the perspiration and lack of breath ability via the tightness of the bracelet...BUT i've worn other watches that are as tight and i've NEVER had this problem before. Furthermore... why does this only happen on the place on my wrist that touches the polished surface and not the brushed surfaces?

I'm a bit of a clean freak so naturally having to wash my wrist and the bracelet every day or so drives me nuts. Has anyone else every experienced this? Could it be an allergic reaction to the SS used in the bracelet... its from the early 80s. Did rolex ever change the SS on the 93150s?

Thoughts?
It's happened to a couple of people I know with various watches, some people I know get it underneath their wedding bands too when they get hot or a little sweaty. If it was an allergic reaction to any of the metals you would likely come up in a bit of a rash.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the band might be on too tight. You might want to loosen it up a bit using the micro-adjustment and see if that helps.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:57 PM   #5
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Trying dabbing on some deodorant under you wrist before wearing your watch.
Old 24 February 2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Do you have a nickel allergy? There are ways to test for it if you don't know.
Old 24 February 2020, 07:06 PM   #7
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
germ-X
Old 24 February 2020, 08:40 PM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Is it completely soap free. Soap can grow bugs rapidly and smell awful if not thoroughly washed off after use, particularly when in contact with skin.
Old 24 February 2020, 10:22 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
11 year old thread bump?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Closed Thread

Tags
bracelet , question