The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2020, 01:56 PM   #31
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
I got a hat and some other junk.
Ok I am nowhere even close to being able to spend $100k on watches in a year, let alone $10k a year.. shoot I'm just trying to get into my first Rolex, but that comment right there made me laugh out loud!
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:04 PM   #32
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I’m an “Elite Preferred Diamond” member at my AD... at least through 2/28/20 when my status goes down to “Preferred Platinum” unless I buy enough elite qualifying pieces before then. I currently get free curbside parking, access to their customer lounge (coffee, water) and can get my jewelry steam cleaned on demand.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:07 PM   #33
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Ok I am nowhere even close to being able to spend $100k on watches in a year, let alone $10k a year.. shoot I'm just trying to get into my first Rolex, but that comment right there made me laugh out loud!
I am with you on availability of funds to spend....can't even imagine dropping 150K/year on stuff.....

a family member regularly shops at a place in the midwest and is friendly with the owner, apparently they have some clients who drop 500K...couldn't tell if that was in a year or lifetime spend but it was with regards getting access to allocation pieces and how even those folks have to wait.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:29 PM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I understand one AD quantifies their customers' ranking every year based on their total spending for the year. Whoever spends the most in that year will get the pieces he/she wants with first priority. There is no accumulative concept, ie, those customers who spent a lot previously, but not so much in the current 1 or 2 years, will not get the hottest watch.

For the purpose of transparency to all the sales people, the customers' spendings are flashed weekly to said sales people at a conference room in PowerPoint slides. They know exactly where their customers are.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:36 PM   #35
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadoonb View Post
Great thread and thanks for the VIP's for opening up. Definitely opened my eyes a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfar View Post
Excellent question -and some surprising answers- nice!
Thank you both for the compliments, and I thank everyone who has commented here for sharing their experience.
Old 13 January 2020, 03:16 PM   #36
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

unfortunately, sometime there is no rhyme or reason on who gets what.

unless you're "behind that curtain" it really is a black hole
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 04:09 PM   #37
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was over $100k with my AD by 2018 (that year $90k). AD store mgr kept telling me you’ll get your Daytona by Nov ‘18.

I waited patiently, stopping by, checking in occasionally. I got tired of being told, “you’re just not a big spender in our book...I’ve got guys who spend millions with us.”

After a 14 yr relationship I walked away.

A friend introduced me to an AD who valued loyalty and relationship over big $. This year I spent $23k with him. I’ll continue to buy from him because he treats with me dignity and respect.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 04:15 PM   #38
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

For those who've hit high spending milestones with AD reps-

I’ve purchased more watches than I want my wife to know about over the past 15 years. The relationships with the salespeople and store owners I have mean more to me than just watches. They are nice people and I’ve known them for a long time. I’m lucky that when I really want something, they make it happen. I like to think I reciprocate in being a good customer and a nice guy right back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2020, 05:43 PM   #39
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

ADs are as human as the rest of us - treat them well and with respect and they should reciprocate.

Yes, I do get invited to private events and receive the occasional gift but more important to me is the friendship that has developed over the 20 years that I've done business with them.

When sending watches in for servicing or repair, I don't have to spend time queueing at RSC; instead I pop into my AD and hand them the watches and they handle everything for me. Other brands included, not just Rolex. It might be a small gesture to some, but it's important to me.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:48 PM   #40
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I got 4 pieces last year
DJ41
SubC
BLNR
Skydweller
I already have both Daytona 500 and 520 but waiting for another 500 and maybe BLRO. But that’s all I want from AD. Next piece after that prolly DD40
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:55 PM   #41
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

I have to admit, I just don’t see the point in all this. I have no interest at all in building a fake friendship with an AD or playing any games. And before anyone defends themselves by saying their AD is a great guy, ask yourself if you would naturally hang out with them if they were not an AD. It all just feels a bit desperate. The idea of buying things you don’t want or need to get something you do is also laughable. They are not your buddy, they view you as a sales opportunity to be milked for all you are worth.

If I want a watch and it’s available at retail I will buy it. If it’s not then I either don’t buy it or get something else.

I thought I was a SS Rolex guy but over the last couple of years have realised I don’t really enjoy the retail experience or the daily wearing of a >10K USD watch. I can afford it but choose not to because it’s ridiculous. I still have a couple and will do one in one out if I want a change.

Once I decided this I also lost interest in other brands attempting to punch above their weight like Omega. Consumer fatigue and apathy has set in. Currently, I am loving my Tudor GMT which offers a breath of fresh air with so much for such a realistic price that I am concluding that I have become a Tudor guy now. If games start with Tudor I will give up this hobby. A collection of expensive watches is not a necessity, just something nice to have.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:20 PM   #42
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Ok that's quite a revelation from VIPs. Simply no rhyme and reason and that every AD treats theor VIPs differently.

If that's the case then it's okay to go grey then?
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:56 PM   #43
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I received a green Rolex pen (again!) And didn't even buy a watch this year. Go figure huh?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:04 PM   #44
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
I’m an “Elite Preferred Diamond” member at my AD... at least through 2/28/20 when my status goes down to “Preferred Platinum” unless I buy enough elite qualifying pieces before then. I currently get free curbside parking, access to their customer lounge (coffee, water) and can get my jewelry steam cleaned on demand.
I'm not sure if this is a joke or real?
Seems like an airline loyalty program from the 00's but I've heard stranger things..
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:07 PM   #45
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing

Clearly there are people with a lot of money and people with absurd amount of money in this forum and out there. But it is also true that VVIP status is not only about the money, it could be about status in the community, important connections in business and politics, family ties or history, celebrity or nobility status or just good looks and charm. The larger AD chain vs family owned the more likely it is about the $€£ rather than relationship.

I think it makes 'the game' more interesting for you VVIPs that are used to be able to buy anything, you cannot have any watch you want immediately just by waiving your plastic card anymore. Like some forum members have said before there is 'status' in getting a hot piece directly from AD. Sure, the VVIPs could buy anything they want immediately on grey market but that is not the point and would not be seen as cool in their circles.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:10 PM   #46
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
I have an excellent relationship with my AD but will not arse lick or buy a pile of crap I don’t require,i have proved my loyalty buying watches from them for thirty years and remind them of this.
It makes me laugh when people are buying lots of unwanted crap just to get a ss model or the chance of it.Seriously,just go and buy the piece from a grey dealer and save yourself thousands and get the watch straight away.
I actually know people who have spent 80k plus on jewellery and tat watches to get a hot ss model like the blro or Daytona and then celebrate getting a Daytona at retail.Don’t these idiots realise the Daytona has cost them 7 x retail !
Another fact also is that when AD’s supply a person with a hot ss model their spend history goes back to zero,hilarious.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:23 PM   #47
Brew
"TRF" Member

I find it hard to believe that such big spenders would really respond to this thread. This sounds like sm bs.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:42 PM   #48
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
This right here is some pitiful stuff.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:53 PM   #49
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I got bored with playing silly games so I bought the ADs business, I now get whatever watch I want.

Old 13 January 2020, 08:53 PM   #50
greeneyedguy
Banned

While I haven't spent near 100K I have made an effort to purchase watches I actually enjoy collecting, a rolex for my wife and jewelry for her and my family when ever the situation arises. Over the last three years I've been consistent with my purchases and communication and direct with what I would like. I've been offered a BLNR and a Hulk and politely declined as I never asked for them as my eye is on the prize and I am now on deck for the white Daytona. Should be sometime this year.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:05 PM   #51
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
$1 mil ? .... That's a lot of money !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:08 PM   #52
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
I got bored with playing silly games so I bought the ADs business, I now get whatever watch I want.
Are you hiring? Always wanted to wear white gloves.
Old 13 January 2020, 09:09 PM   #53
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I can honestly say that my spending on non-rolex items at an AD is $0.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:51 PM   #54
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wouldn’t know as I’m not what fits your definition of big spender.

My AD has always found a way to accommodate my requests for SS professional references though and I know that he appreciates that I truly appreciate owning and wearing them, and that I don’t flip them.

I also don’t jump at every reference just because they are popular, and I know he appreciates that. I’ve been offered the Daytona C and Skydweller for example, but turned them down because they didn’t sing to me. Instead he came through with the SD43 for my birthday in May of 2017 and my BLRO in November 2018.

The next one I’m interested in is the new Submariner (whenever it’s released). I know he will have one for me.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:10 PM   #55
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
I have to admit, I just don’t see the point in all this. I have no interest at all in building a fake friendship with an AD or playing any games. And before anyone defends themselves by saying their AD is a great guy, ask yourself if you would naturally hang out with them if they were not an AD. It all just feels a bit desperate. The idea of buying things you don’t want or need to get something you do is also laughable. They are not your buddy, they view you as a sales opportunity to be milked for all you are worth.

If I want a watch and it’s available at retail I will buy it. If it’s not then I either don’t buy it or get something else.

I thought I was a SS Rolex guy but over the last couple of years have realised I don’t really enjoy the retail experience or the daily wearing of a >10K USD watch. I can afford it but choose not to because it’s ridiculous. I still have a couple and will do one in one out if I want a change.

Once I decided this I also lost interest in other brands attempting to punch above their weight like Omega. Consumer fatigue and apathy has set in. Currently, I am loving my Tudor GMT which offers a breath of fresh air with so much for such a realistic price that I am concluding that I have become a Tudor guy now. If games start with Tudor I will give up this hobby. A collection of expensive watches is not a necessity, just something nice to have.
I can totally sympathize with this and often think I am in the minority in that I would prefer it to go back to where there was more availability as I don't really care about how scarcity helps or impacts resale...I am more likely to wear them often if I can get a replacement and or I don't have to jump through hoops to get something new. And like you I have a renewed interest in both Tudor and Omega as those are available and affordable enough to wear without concern.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:18 PM   #56
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I find it hard to believe that such big spenders would really respond to this thread. This sounds like sm bs.
Most big spenders won’t. I spent a lot with my local southern AD and they said no Daytona, Skydweller. I walk into a AD up north with very little relationship and they pull out a blue Skydweller last November. Go figure.
Aplover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:10 PM   #57
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Last year I bought
2 tone root beer
Gmt stainless
Datejust 41 blue dial
Explorer 2 polar
2 tone sub blue face
And a Chanel j12
Even after all those they did not offer me what I really wanted which was a Pepsi or green sub. I stopped the games I now buy gray less stress
Well holy shit. This is the first post outside of a review blog where I’ve read someone owning the Chanel J12. Gotta tip my hat to that one, that’s a ballsy buy
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:24 PM   #58
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Are you hiring? Always wanted to wear white gloves.

Yes but I don't think you would like the daily commute.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:43 PM   #59
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I'm not sure if this is a joke or real?
Seems like an airline loyalty program from the 00's but I've heard stranger things..
Will it help if I show you my special status printed luggage tags they send me?
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:02 AM   #60
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Seems like the best way to get hot SS pieces is build a relationship with a family-owned AD in a smaller market.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorized dealers , milestone , retail