The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2020, 01:11 AM   #31
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:15 AM   #32
Xenon
Banned

The store has a list of customers a phone call away who will pay full price that watch.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:16 AM   #33
Xenon
Banned

The store has a list of customers a phone call away who will pay full price for that watch.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:33 AM   #34
waynorth
"TRF" Member

As a man, you always ask for a discount. I wouldn't buy anything that is non-essential without asking for a discount. They have the right to say no. Any relationship is a give-and-take. They give me their watch; I give them my money. Next time I want a watch, I go back to them to get it. This whole "I don't want to ruin my relationship" thing with AD's is insane.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:38 AM   #35
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I’ve gotten a discount on just about every watch I’ve purchased from my AD. Number of times I’ve asked for a discount. ZERO.

When you have a relationship - you don’t ever have to ask. Having said that - the days of the discounted (Stainless) Rolex - are pretty much over. The End.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:49 AM   #36
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

If it is a daytona or a Pepsi, there’s no point of asking so save your breath but for Explorer I would certainly ask, even if you get a “no” it’s better than keep wondering if you could’ve gotten a discount had you asked!
Old 4 May 2020, 02:18 AM   #37
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I asked for a discount in my EXII in April of 2018. My AD said they can't give discounts on SS models but he gave me a Wolf watch winder instead. I thought that was fair. Never hurts to ask.
Old 4 May 2020, 02:25 AM   #38
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ? I totally get it’s a expensive item but a SS Professional model I wouldn’t embarrass the seller or myself even asking, A PM DJ or DD maybe with a cheeky wink 😉 but it’s not my style tbh

If you don’t like the price don’t buy
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 02:52 AM   #39
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

If BNIB in the world are selling below MSRP, then yes, you show them what they are selling for and give them the old "i really want to buy from you, but i can't allow x depreciation" if BNIB are selling for MSRP or more, then i probably wouldn't expect one, or have much of a leg to stand on.

SS probably not going to get one, or much of one to matter. A PM day-date, yes you can get one, or you would be foolish to buy from an AD.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:06 AM   #40
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn’t sell it to you alone on principal.. I honestly find it comical when people ask this question! If you need $200 off then I’m sorry but you can’t afford the watch....
If you refuse sales on princiPLE then you’d better be the boss or you’d be looking for a job. Sales has one princiPLE ALWAYS BE CLOSING.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:13 AM   #41
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ? I totally get it’s a expensive item but a SS Professional model I wouldn’t embarrass the seller or myself even asking, A PM DJ or DD maybe with a cheeky wink but it’s not my style tbh

This is terrible logic. The things that you mentioned are things we know are not discounted.

Watches, like other jewelery... And cars as another example are items where price is negotiable.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:21 AM   #42
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Go for it OP. I’ve always asked my AD for a discount whether it be on an in stock or ss sports model. My experience is that they’ve given it on in stock and not on ss. You’ll never know if you don’t ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jyhwker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:30 AM   #43
Roy Webber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner no date
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjvr View Post
+1
+2
Roy Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:31 AM   #44
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ? I totally get it’s a expensive item but a SS Professional model I wouldn’t embarrass the seller or myself even asking, A PM DJ or DD maybe with a cheeky wink 😉 but it’s not my style tbh

Ridiculous analogy.

At a restaurant a chef is freshly cooking your meal to order.

At an AD the sales associate is standing there picking his nose behind a case of luxury watches that Rolex shipped them
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 03:55 AM   #45
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Would you ask for a discount when you go out for a meal ? , visit the dentist ? Buying fuel ? I totally get it’s a expensive item but a SS Professional model I wouldn’t embarrass the seller or myself even asking, A PM DJ or DD maybe with a cheeky wink but it’s not my style tbh

While I understand what you’re trying to prove, your theory is flawed. Discounts are available at restaurants, just administered in a different way. Some in online discount, coupons, and sometimes just a wait staff offering a free drink or dessert for various reason. Even at the dentist (and for that matter MD) negotiations do occur, while very, very infrequently. Most DDS and MD have negotiated rates they are to charge and bill for by insurance companies. Any amounts over that they bill to patients and you are well within your right to negotiate that down if you want. I know this because I have personally negotiated the cost of a hernia operation I had years ago. Spoke with the billing dept and worked out an agreement where my out of pocket cost was reduced. Point is, negotiating happens in almost every sector. While most don’t, because it is a hassle, you can.
TeddyBallGame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:57 AM   #46
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

3 yrs ago it was common place to ask for a discount, 5%-10% was easy. The watch craze has ended that. The lockdown may have cooled all of this off. All you can do is ask. All they can say is no. You have not if you ask not.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:13 AM   #47
Y4U
"TRF" Member

I've never personally purchased a Rolex from a AD but I have been with family and friend's and they always asked and received a discount although the last time I went was around 2014-15.
Y4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:15 AM   #48
rfs
"TRF" Member

MSRP is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price... i.e., it is just a "Suggested" price... not an absolute unchangeable price. No harm in asking for a discount! As with a lot of things in life, negotiation is a skill that can be learned. The more you do it the better you get at it.
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:27 AM   #49
Runfar
"TRF" Member

Maybe ask for a future watch you may want? Or yep ask for some nice Rolex gift that way
You
Keep the relationship
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:41 AM   #50
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Can’t speak for Belgium but in the US Boutiques are dealer owned “flagship” Rolex only stores generally in upscale high traffic locations. I can’t imagine any of them here currently offering a discount on any SS Professional model. I was offered a 20% discount without asking at a West Coast Boutique on a discontinued 36mm DayDate on leather strap that I suspect had been at their store for some time.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 06:38 AM   #51
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi View Post
From my experience they almost seem insulted when you ask for a discount now. Seems to be this way for a while too. The only way is if you have a personal relationship with someone in the store, and then at this point they would be risking there job. I barely even seeing it happening on known undesirable models. Your best best is to ask for a free Jacket or cool gift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I competely agree with this advice.

If I was the SA and you asked me to risk my cred with my manager over a peanuts discount on a SS Rolex you might not get a second chance to buy it at the price offered. You'd also find your waiting time on future wishlist items increased greatly.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:28 AM   #52
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallGame View Post
While I understand what you’re trying to prove, your theory is flawed. Discounts are available at restaurants, just administered in a different way. Some in online discount, coupons, and sometimes just a wait staff offering a free drink or dessert for various reason. Even at the dentist (and for that matter MD) negotiations do occur, while very, very infrequently. Most DDS and MD have negotiated rates they are to charge and bill for by insurance companies. Any amounts over that they bill to patients and you are well within your right to negotiate that down if you want. I know this because I have personally negotiated the cost of a hernia operation I had years ago. Spoke with the billing dept and worked out an agreement where my out of pocket cost was reduced. Point is, negotiating happens in almost every sector. While most don’t, because it is a hassle, you can.
Who has managed a Discount on say a SS Daytona , Pepsi,Hulk,Batman,Batgirl , SS skydweller it’s ridiculous like I said maybe on a DJ or DD in PM but on items you can’t buy who would discount ? . I don’t wish to offend but seriously
Old 4 May 2020, 08:44 AM   #53
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

I would like too add , From conversations with my independent Authorised Dealer Rolex UK have made it crystal clear do not discount ! Now this could well be BS but having known the guy for more than 25 yrs , why would he BS me ?. He also said Rolex is 40% off his turn over and 50% off his profit , he won’t break any off the guidelines as he can’t afford to get it wrong , So I don’t ask for discounts or expect anything

I was brought up to be told don’t expect anything and you won’t be disappointed !

I realise by the replies to my views maybe I am wrong , I definitely wouldn’t ask for €200 discount on a €6200 watch equal to 3% . I’d be after a relationship
Old 4 May 2020, 08:49 AM   #54
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
The worst thing they could do is say no.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:49 AM   #55
winst
"TRF" Member

What’s the difference in price between what your friend will give you and the retail price of the new watch. If it is more than £1000 I would seriously consider keeping your watch and just getting the dial and hands changed to Mark 2 versions at the RSC when you get a service.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:16 AM   #56
Dahh
Banned

There is nothing bad in negotiating.
Dahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:27 AM   #57
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

Nothing Is beyond negotiation.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:48 AM   #58
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I just purchased a BLNR a couple weeks ago and because they are not open they asked me to wire the money. I asked if they could discount the purchase price and they said no. Granted, this is a hard to get watch but they also asked me to wire them the money which probably saved them 1.5-2%. No price negotiation here!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 10:49 AM   #59
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn’t sell it to you alone on principal.. I honestly find it comical when people ask this question! If you need $200 off then I’m sorry but you can’t afford the watch....
Bragging about not negotiating and paying full price for something seems weird to me, I’d always want the deal sweetened regardless what it is. Unless it’s something which is actually piece unique, then another one will always come along
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 11:21 AM   #60
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I just purchased a BLNR a couple weeks ago and because they are not open they asked me to wire the money. I asked if they could discount the purchase price and they said no. Granted, this is a hard to get watch but they also asked me to wire them the money which probably saved them 1.5-2%. No price negotiation here!

To be honest - I wouldn't expect a discount on a piece like that. However, for a less sought out model, I think it is worth inquiring
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , europe , explorer , rolex