The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2016, 10:56 PM   #1
davidsuffolk
"TRF" Member

Just how scarce are sports models at present

As you can see I'm in the UK and have just joined the forum as I planned to buy my first Rolex.

I asked for advice and pretty much it was suggested that my choice of a new SubC was a good one.

However there didn't seem to be any around so just how scarce are they and the other sports style watches? I have found one now but it was harder than I expected.

Is it a UK problem because the drop in the pound has made everything here seem cheap to visitors or it it everywhere? As a point, I asked my son who lives in Taipei what the SubC price was there. An AD said they had none and the price in NTD was about GBP300 more than the UK anyway (and we have 20% vat in our price).
davidsuffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:03 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, many frustrated threads on it now, bring on the 1st Oct!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:05 PM   #3
psv
"TRF" Member

Buy it outside the UK, they are rater plentiful in most countries, but not the UK, Scandinavia and a few other places.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:30 PM   #4
davidsuffolk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, many frustrated threads on it now, bring on the 1st Oct!
What happens on 1st October?
davidsuffolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:48 PM   #5
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
The scarcity is at panic levels!
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:53 PM   #6
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Certainly seems that in the UK the scarcity is real. Haven't seen it here in the US. Australia seems to have supply issues coupled with ridiculous pricing
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:56 PM   #7
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Very scarce in the UK now
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:04 AM   #8
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsuffolk View Post
As you can see I'm in the UK and have just joined the forum as I planned to buy my first Rolex.

I asked for advice and pretty much it was suggested that my choice of a new SubC was a good one.

However there didn't seem to be any around so just how scarce are they and the other sports style watches? I have found one now but it was harder than I expected.

Is it a UK problem because the drop in the pound has made everything here seem cheap to visitors or it it everywhere? As a point, I asked my son who lives in Taipei what the SubC price was there. An AD said they had none and the price in NTD was about GBP300 more than the UK anyway (and we have 20% vat in our price).
David

I was passing through Almeria city in southern Spain last week and the wife and I had done some shopping and were sitting at an outside table in a little tapas bar nibbling grilled prawns and sipping a nice glass of wine to rest our weary feet when we notice a Rolex sign sticking out from a shop down the road.

We eventually walked to the Rolex shop (it is an AD) and they had very little stock. To be honest, the display looked a bit barren and rather sad.

With the euro standing well against the Pound, the prices were certainly not a bargain.

I may be in Madrid next week and if I am, I will check out availability.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:07 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
From the sounds of recent threads on TRF, very much so. Sorry to my UK friends....
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:12 AM   #10
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'm in the UK too.

Yes, they are pretty scarce but my friend bought a new Sub C from a London AD couple of weeks ago.

He got the usual sales tactic of it being a several month wait before they got any in so he did the sensible thing and put his name down at 3 AD's.

He'd had the call that they'd miraculously got one in within the week.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:13 AM   #11
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
From the sounds of recent threads on TRF, very much so. Sorry to my UK friends....
Yes with the recent fall in value of the Pound, we are now the new paupers of Europe.

The days of flying over to a European country to do a nice little deal on a new Rolex are sadly over.

Regards

Mick
Old 27 September 2016, 12:17 AM   #12
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
David

I was passing through Almeria city in southern Spain last week and the wife and I had done some shopping and were sitting at an outside table in a little tapas bar nibbling grilled prawns and sipping a nice glass of wine to rest our weary feet when we notice a Rolex sign sticking out from a shop down the road.

We eventually walked to the Rolex shop (it is an AD) and they had very little stock. To be honest, the display looked a bit barren and rather sad.

With the euro standing well against the Pound, the prices were certainly not a bargain.

I may be in Madrid next week and if I am, I will check out availability.

Regards

Mick
I was in Madrid in August and there were no sports models available, which isn't unusual at all towards the end of the summer. Rolex close their factories for vacation during part of the summers so availability at that time of the season is always tough. Nothing new there. But come late September and October there should be strong delivery to their main channels.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:27 AM   #13
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I was in Madrid in August and there were no sports models available, which isn't unusual at all towards the end of the summer. Rolex close their factories for vacation during part of the summers so availability at that time of the season is always tough. Nothing new there. But come late September and October there should be strong delivery to their main channels.
Hi Patrick

Well it is September the 26th, so hopefully deliveries of stock should soon be taking place.

I never knew about the scarcity issues over the summer and thanks for pointing that out, it is a useful thing to know.

Regards

Mick
Old 27 September 2016, 12:28 AM   #14
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It's punishment for BRITEX... LOL! Just kidding!
Old 27 September 2016, 12:39 AM   #15
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post
It's punishment for BRITEX... LOL! Just kidding!
Actually you are right.

Right now today, the Pound is trading at 1.16 euros. The day before we had the referendum, it was trading at 1.31.

That is a reduction of 11.5% and that now makes us cheap for Europeans and Americans alike.

Our stocks have been plundered.

Regards

Mick