The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 August 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
vintagerol
"TRF" Member

First time posting! - question re. my new vintage Presidential Gold band

Hello, all! It's great to meet you all here. This is my first post. I purchased a 1995 Presidential Gold Rolex from a reputable online reseller. I then had it go through a full overhaul at Rikki's shop (thanks for your recommendations!). When I received the watch from Rikki, I took it to my local RSC for band adjustment. My wrist is 14.5cm (~5.75 inches) so it is quite small. I found out that the watch only has 4 removable links. So long story short, I with the help of RSC rep decided to remove ONE permanent link.

I am attaching pictures here. I have been wearing the watch around and it still feels too loose. When I put my arms down I can feel the entire watch shift down to the neck of my hand. Maybe I am not used to it but it feels somewhat comfortable.

I contacted Michael Young overnight. He said he can make three additional permanent links as "removable links". Or I can cut off additional links to fit my wrist now - and when it comes time to resell, he can put them back on as permanent links again (which is considered full band restoration).

So my questions is:

1) Can you see my picture and determine whether the fit is OK?

2) If not, do you recommend that I get another link cut off?

3) Do you think I should send it to Michael Young and have him put three (including the one that is already cut off) to be changed to removable links?

4) In the event that I go to RSC to get one more link cut off - and later when I resell, I put them back as permanent links with MY - do you think this will affect resale value (i.e. RSC will not service the watch with band "modification")?

Sorry for this long post. But your help is much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (157.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (185.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg R3.jpg (126.9 KB, 199 views)
vintagerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Nice watch. Bracelet is still too big. This will not only annoy you, but damage it. When worn all floppy 'Miami Vice' 80s stylee, they get worn out much quicker. And it looks tacky. Have another link removed (maybe two, by the looks of it). Any decent jeweller or watchmaker can do it. No need to send it all the way to HK for that. As for resale value; don't over-think it, it hardly makes any difference. Just keep all the bits and enjoy it. Fitted is much better.
Old 25 August 2017, 03:48 AM   #3
vintagerol
"TRF" Member

Hi, Vincent65 - Thanks for your kind response! It is quite annoying indeed. But everyone that I have spoken seems to make cutting permanent link as a "taboo" including the reseller who sold me this watch. But yes, I would love for the bracelet to be more fitted.

Anyone else have any idea? Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:42 AM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Nice watch. Bracelet is still too big. This will not only annoy you, but damage it. When worn all floppy 'Miami Vice' 80s stylee, they get worn out much quicker. And it looks tacky. Have another link removed (maybe two, by the looks of it). Any decent jeweller or watchmaker can do it. No need to send it all the way to HK for that. As for resale value; don't over-think it, it hardly makes any difference. Just keep all the bits and enjoy it. Fitted is much better.
Yep, good answer here, great looking watch.
Old 25 August 2017, 10:24 AM   #5
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerol View Post
Hi, Vincent65 - Thanks for your kind response! It is quite annoying indeed. But everyone that I have spoken seems to make cutting permanent link as a "taboo" including the reseller who sold me this watch. But yes, I would love for the bracelet to be more fitted.

Anyone else have any idea? Thanks for your input in advance.
I cut a permanent link off every oyster bracelet that comes my way. Either get the bracelet to fit, or sell the watch - there's no other good alternative.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 10:38 AM   #6
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post

All floppy Miami vice 80's style. love it. Hey that's what got me into Rolex.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 01:07 AM   #7
vintagerol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your help! I went ahead and removed one more permanent link and it now fits very well! Thank you and have a good day!
Old 26 August 2017, 01:09 AM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all your help! I went ahead and removed one more permanent link and it now fits very well! Thank you and have a good day!
Can you show a pic of the new fit please?

I would imagine it's pretty tight now?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 02:14 AM   #9
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Can you show a pic of the new fit please?

I would imagine it's pretty tight now?
Judging from the picture above, it might still be pretty lose. Those links aren't that long, and that was a really really lose bracelet.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:09 AM   #10
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I have a 1980 DD in WG. When I purchased it I removed two links and now have perfect fit. As had been stated earlier, any jeweler can remove a link. I have found the DD bracelet to be the most comfortable of all Rolex bracelets.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 11:56 PM   #11
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good decision - I gather you had someone local do it?