The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 February 2019, 04:43 PM   #1
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

VC Overseas 41 mm

Hi,

I tried the VC overseas timeonly today. I have a flat 6.5~ inch wrist. I found that the watch wears big on the bracelet, not overly big but still on the large side. However, when I tried it on the rubber strap, the watch looked great. It would be a great evening/weekend watch with the rubber. Has anyone else experienced the same that the watch wears differently on the rubber/leather strap compared to the bracelet?
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 06:51 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its a chunky bracelet for sure. yes its noticeable. I like it because its like a different watch on a strap vs bracelet

I haven't tried on the non date version though... WG, ultra thin, but that is 40mm. Is that what you mean by time only? Or do you mean the one with the date and non chronograph?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:04 AM   #3
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I have only tried on the rubber to play with it, not really worn it that way. I think he rubber is the thinnest of the options, making the watch wear differently. That said, I don't really feel like it made the watch feel or look "bigger". I really like the leather/gator strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-rubber-side.JPG (94.7 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg VC-side-gator-m.JPG (108.5 KB, 611 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:07 AM   #4
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Sorry, don't have one from the same angle with the bracelet and not wearing the watch today.

Good luck, great watch. I was concerned about the size from pictures and measurements but once I got it - all good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-wrist-b.JPG (113.5 KB, 606 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:13 AM   #5
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a chunky bracelet for sure. yes its noticeable. I like it because its like a different watch on a strap vs bracelet

I haven't tried on the non date version though... WG, ultra thin, but that is 40mm. Is that what you mean by time only? Or do you mean the one with the date and non chronograph?
Sorry, I meant the time and date version, 41 mm size.
Old 20 February 2019, 08:50 AM   #6
SharpyDave
"TRF" Member

I'm in the same boat as you and maybe just a shade too big but it still looks good. I wear leather 60%, rubber 20%, bracelet 20%.
SharpyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:24 PM   #7
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

So I tried the watch again today and figured out why it wears differently on the bracelet.

When the bracelet is attached to the watch case, the two bracelet links on either side which connect with the watch case become stiff to the extent that they are immovable. A technical flaw which arises because of the bracelet/strap change functionality. So, in essence, the lug to lug length is increased from 49 mm to 53-54 mm when the watch is on the bracelet as the two bracelet links on either side act as extension of watch case. With either the leather or the rubber strap, there is no such issue and the watch case retains the true 49 mm lug to lug length.

Not a deal breaker for me as I prefer both the rubber and the leather strap to the bracelet. However, for people like me who have 6.5~ inch wrists, they should always try the watch on the straps to get the true fit.
Old 20 February 2019, 05:54 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
So I tried the watch again today and figured out why it wears differently on the bracelet.

When the bracelet is attached to the watch case, the two bracelet links on either side which connect with the watch case become stiff to the extent that they are immovable. A technical flaw which arises because of the bracelet/strap change functionality. So, in essence, the lug to lug length is increased from 49 mm to 53-54 mm when the watch is on the bracelet as the two bracelet links on either side act as extension of watch case. With either the leather or the rubber strap, there is no such issue and the watch case retains the true 49 mm lug to lug length.

Not a deal breaker for me as I prefer both the rubber and the leather strap to the bracelet. However, for people like me who have 6.5~ inch wrists, they should always try the watch on the straps to get the true fit.

FWIW, ive always kind of thought of the current gen of the overseas as a competitor to the ROO and not a RO or a ROC because of how it wears. Not a dealbreaker for me as i really like a ROO. I just think the bigger, chunkier look its a better head to head. The bracelet for sure is more like a ROO bracelet too.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:46 AM   #9
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
FWIW, ive always kind of thought of the current gen of the overseas as a competitor to the ROO and not a RO or a ROC because of how it wears. Not a dealbreaker for me as i really like a ROO. I just think the bigger, chunkier look its a better head to head. The bracelet for sure is more like a ROO bracelet too.
That’s an interesting point. I was just thinking about it last night.

There is no way this date-only Overseas is a competitor of AP 15202 and Patek 5711. Keeping aside the higher price points of AP and Patek, $24.8k and $29.8k respectively, compared to the Overseas, $19.9k, both the AP and Patek references feel more luxurious on the wrist and clearly involve more hand finishing.

I feel the Overseas is more of a direct competitor to Patek 5167, AP 15400, and as you just mentioned, AP Offshore Diver. Much more comparable in terms of price, construction quality, and feel. 15400 has a better bracelet but Overseas offers 3 strap options. 5167 is slim and Overseas is a chunky watch. AP Offshore can only be worn by someone who has 7~ inch wrists whereas Overseas can be pulled off by someone like me who has a 6.5~ inch wrist.
Old 21 February 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
lindstd
"TRF" Member

I think it’s an incredible watch and its the perfect size. It’s can be dressed up or dressed down and the dial is itself is really nice. Best clean and classic. I don’t love the high polish on the AP’a and VC metal is more under the radar. I really like the fact of how thin it is compared to most other watches these days. I think the case thickness is as important as case case and this is a winner. Good luck!
lindstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:47 PM   #11
vlps
"TRF" Member

Im curious how the 40mm overseas ultra thin in white gold wears. Think they made a mistake not releasing the 40mm ultra thin version across there different color dials in stainless steel. Could have been a 5711 and 15202 competitor.
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:24 PM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:

There is no way this date-only Overseas is a competitor of AP 15202 and Patek 5711. Keeping aside the higher price points of AP and Patek, $24.8k and $29.8k respectively, compared to the Overseas, $19.9k, both the AP and Patek references feel more luxurious on the wrist and clearly involve more hand finishing.

I feel the Overseas is more of a direct competitor to Patek 5167, AP 15400, and as you just mentioned, AP Offshore Diver. Much more comparable in terms of price, construction quality, and feel. 15400 has a better bracelet but Overseas offers 3 strap options. 5167 is slim and Overseas is a chunky watch. AP Offshore can only be worn by someone who has 7~ inch wrists whereas Overseas can be pulled off by someone like me who has a 6.5~ inch wrist.
Based on many of your assumptions, opinions, or perhaps experiences, I would like to know - Have you actually tried on all the aforementioned watches besides the overseas? Do you own any of them? Because honestly I see a lot of holes in this post and some inaccuracies.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #13
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Based on many of your assumptions, opinions, or perhaps experiences, I would like to know - Have you actually tried on all the aforementioned watches besides the overseas? Do you own any of them? Because honestly I see a lot of holes in this post and some inaccuracies.
Yes, I have. tried 15400 and ROO multiple times, 5167 twice. Have a 5711, used to have an AP 15202, 15450, and ROO diver. This was my opinion only, everyone will feel differently about the sports watch offerings from the big 3.
Old 25 February 2019, 02:48 PM   #14
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I have. tried 15400 and ROO multiple times, 5167 twice. Have a 5711, used to have an AP 15202, 15450, and ROO diver. This was my opinion only, everyone will feel differently about the sports watch offerings from the big 3.
Overseas is a competitor with the 5711 and RO. I wouldn't say the finishing is inferior to the other two, you can even make the argument it may be better. I know Patek has been spending less time on hand finishing especially with the workhorse 324. It's not a competitor to the rubber 5167, two different watches. How they feel on the wrist is also subjective but I would say it feels just as luxurious and for some even more so than the 5711 or RO. It has a nice luxury feel to it with the bracelet. It's also not a competitor to a RO diver which is a larger chunkier watch that is much thicker, larger, and with a rubber bracelet.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:28 PM   #15
Pongster
"TRF" Member

^ i agree. The equivalent of the overseas in PP is the 5711 and in AP is the 15202 or 15400.

The offshore and the aquanaut would be in a separate category.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice piece - love the dial
Old 7 March 2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
VC Overseas has always been an interesting piece.

Design Perspective - 1. The Maltese Cross Bezel and bracelet is distinctive. 2. The blue dial version is absolutely gorgeous. It has different shades at different angle and lighting; stunning. 3. The movement is new. 5110 DT (in my case) is an in house caliber - A first for VC in this series.

Practicality Perspective - 1. The 12.5mm thickness allows me to slip in my office wear easily as compared to the bulky Omega DSOM. The latter is now deployed for the weekend and the former being used daily in office. 2. Dual time comes in useful due to the busy travelling schedule. Its easier to adjust as compared to the Omega DSOM Chronograph which have to wait 12 o'clock to adjust. 3. The easy to change strap is a game changer. Change the strap according to mood and activity. Brilliant move by VC. 4. Resale value for VC normally is a challenge compared to Patek Nautilus or AP RO. But with 27% discount from the AD, I believe it will compensate any downside to the resale value. In any case, no plans to sell in the next 20 years the very least.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I am beginning to be absolutely in love with this piece!