The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Breitling watch saves the life of stranded hunter

Breitling watch saves the life of stranded hunter

Emergency Transmitter in Watch Alerts Alaska Rescuers to Missing Man’s Location

A watch made more than a fashion statement when it helped save a stranded hunter’s life in Alaska on August 15th. Mark Spencer was hunting grizzly bears about 120 miles northeast of Anchorage when he became stuck in the wilderness along Susitna River in the heart of the infamous Alaska Range. Unable to navigate the hazardous Class 6 rapids of the Susitna River, his float-hunting party had diverted the course of their boat to the Tyone River. But the river route proved too shallow for their vessel. Spencer left his group and went searching for help on the glaciated Susitna River and struck a shoal tearing a hole in the vessel sinking it in the icy waters. He had spent more than 48 treacherous hours struggling for his life among the unrelenting elements of the Alaskan Backcountry.

“Breitling is the number one piece of equipment I always bring with me”, said Spencer, who works in the renewable energy industry. “Even if I lose everything, I will always have my watch. That gives me and my family peace of mind.”

The timepiece is designed with a micro-transmitter broadcasting on the 121.5 MHz aircraft emergency frequency. The transmitter is activated by unscrewing a protective cap and extending a short antenna. Despite the small size of the watch, the signal range is comparable to traditional hand-held Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) and can broadcast for 48 hours.

Spencer activated his watch’s Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) after a dangerous trek up the frigid Susitna River left him hypothermic and near death in the isolated backcountry. A rescue crew was able to pinpoint his location and lift him to safety by helicopter after they picked up the distress signal.

“It brings Breitling great pleasure to hear about this kind of customer satisfaction”, said Thierry Prissert, President of Breitling USA. “We’re hoping from now on he only has to use his watch to tell time.”

Interesting story from Breitling's news letter.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
cool story, think this may be the only incident that I've heard of where someone used that feature because they actually needed it.
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:46 AM   #3

very good to have if you are away from normal civilisation
11618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2012, 10:06 AM   #4
ZakSgp
Banned

Cool what model?
ZakSgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
tinger
"TRF" Member

Ill probably get flak for this..maybe he should leave the bears alone and donate his time/energy/money to charity instead.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakSgp View Post
Cool what model?
Breitling emergency mission
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger View Post
Ill probably get flak for this..maybe he should leave the bears alone and donate his time/energy/money to charity instead.

Agreed

Very cool none the less!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 02:33 PM   #8
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:

cool story, but my opinion of your comment =
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2012, 01:55 AM   #9
htinez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my language
Doesn't Bond...James Bond.... wear an Omega?

Quite a story that.
htinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
He's lucky they found him even with the Emergency. It's not like the FAA/Military have a command center which constantly tracks all transmissions on Guard 121.5. A passing aircraft/FAA RTR site has to hear it first, then a human or two has to decide if its a real transmission or an accidental broadcast . Out in Alaska he could have been out of position. I'm very glad he wasn't!!

With all that said, the Emergency is a cool watch.
Old 10 November 2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Yea he is definitely lucky. The reason that I sold off my Emergency was that the 121.5 frequency is out of use for the most part at this point. It's been thought that most wouldn't even search or use that frequency.
Old 11 November 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Very cool
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 06:58 AM   #13
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Fantastic story!!.. Exactly why mine never leaves my wrist!!!..

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 07:00 AM   #14
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Yea he is definitely lucky. The reason that I sold off my Emergency was that the 121.5 frequency is out of use for the most part at this point. It's been thought that most wouldn't even search or use that frequency.
the 121.5mhz is still in use, when they bring out the new Emergency next year.. they will be using a different frequency.. but the 121.5 will not be obsolite..

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

Maybe he does.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2012, 08:29 AM   #16
letterman02
"TRF" Member

Great story, love the Breitling Emergency
letterman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 02:18 AM   #17
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
the 121.5mhz is still in use, when they bring out the new Emergency next year.. they will be using a different frequency.. but the 121.5 will not be obsolite..
I remember reading awhile back that it was not largely used. Any info on the new emergency? Styling? Pics?
Old 14 November 2012, 05:27 AM   #18
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Cool story, thanks for posting. I've heard of a handful of situations when the Breitling Emergency has been used to locate individuals such as this. I believe that Breitling give you a new one if it is ever activated in ernest.
Old 24 November 2013, 01:06 AM   #19
playero
"TRF" Member

that is why I always take mine when sailing trans ocean. this is not like computers where you throw out the old and stick to the new. they will be using both for a long time then when the world comes about they will stick to the one that works the best. still there is a penalty for mis use.
playero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
The 121.5 mhz analog frequency is still used worldwide for local search and rescue. That is why the new Emergency 2 will retain this 121.5 transmitter, in addition to a 406mhz digital satellite frequency under the Cospass-Sarat system. Breitling took 5 years to design the new Emergency 2 and it is quite an accomplishment to squeeze all this technology into a wristwatch.

Beware the new Emergency 2 is 51mm and is a big watch but it is light since the case and bracelet are all titanium. Only negative thing about the watch is the price-$15,000! Watch is COSC certified.

I have a Breitling Emergency Mission that I purchased in 2005 and it is an awesome piece. Owners of these watches need to be prepared to maintain them. Every 2-3 years, you need to send the watch back to Breitling USA in Wilton, Connecticut for maintenance and battery changes. Only Breitling is authorized to service these unique watches. I just got mine back from service and it cost $405 and another $128 I spent at UPS store for insured overnight shipping when I sent it out. I just figure this comes with the territory of owning such a watch, but many watch owners don't want to be bothered with this. Pretty sure maintenance on the new one will be more since it has 2 transmitters.

By the way, Emergency 2 only on sale in Europe right now. Won't be in US stores for several months because Breitling has to jump through some hurdles with the US govt., FAA, etc. to be able to sell them here. When I bought my Emergency Mission, I had to sign a form that authorized Breitling to share my name, address, etc. to the US government and FAA in case I activated the signal and caused rescue resources to come look for me. If you activate signal and it is not a real emergency, you are responsible for the cost of all rescue efforts! Not only that, but pulling the antennaes out requires Breitling to rehab the watch back to the original condition. If it is a true emergency, no problem. But if it is not and you pulled it out by accident or you wanted to see what happens, Breitling will charge you the cost of the watch to return it to the original condition. This is why when people ask me to see the watch, I tell them not to touch or pull the antennae cap!
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 07:13 AM   #21
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Great Story!!!

Instagram @takuyawatches
TAKUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 12:08 PM   #22
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
Very cool story, thanks for sharing.
rahible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 01:40 PM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Serves him right for running around in the Alaskan wilderness trying to shoot bears. Cool that it worked though.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 01:55 PM   #24
gmlomas
Banned

Watch: IWC, PAM, Rolex
I guess it is nit really outdated after all
gmlomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2013, 06:02 AM   #25
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Daytona View Post
By the way, Emergency 2 only on sale in Europe right now. Won't be in US stores for several months because Breitling has to jump through some hurdles with the US govt., FAA, etc. to be able to sell them here.
Have you seen them in stores there? My understanding was that these won't be on sale, anywhere, until next year. No governments have been able to complete the certification process that the watch has to go through.
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 01:49 AM   #26
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Quote:
Only negative thing about the watch is the price-$15,000!
Good lord. I would have to feel pretty strongly that I may need it to spend that type of money. Neat story none the less.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:52 AM   #27
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:

He lives in Alaska, he can't just go to the store and buy food probably. And most people in alaska rely on hunting and fishing to maintain food year round. Food is much better when it's harvested from tortured animals fed unreasonable diaries for financial gain
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2013, 01:06 PM   #28
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 121.5 mhz analog frequency is still used worldwide for local search and rescue. That is why the new Emergency 2 will retain this 121.5 transmitter, in addition to a 406mhz digital satellite frequency under the Cospass-Sarat system. Breitling took 5 years to design the new Emergency 2 and it is quite an accomplishment to squeeze all this technology into a wristwatch.

Beware the new Emergency 2 is 51mm and is a big watch but it is light since the case and bracelet are all titanium. Only negative thing about the watch is the price-$15,000! Watch is COSC certified.

I have a Breitling Emergency Mission that I purchased in 2005 and it is an awesome piece. Owners of these watches need to be prepared to maintain them. Every 2-3 years, you need to send the watch back to Breitling USA in Wilton, Connecticut for maintenance and battery changes. Only Breitling is authorized to service these unique watches. I just got mine back from service and it cost $405 and another $128 I spent at UPS store for insured overnight shipping when I sent it out. I just figure this comes with the territory of owning such a watch, but many watch owners don't want to be bothered with this. Pretty sure maintenance on the new one will be more since it has 2 transmitters.

By the way, Emergency 2 only on sale in Europe right now. Won't be in US stores for several months because Breitling has to jump through some hurdles with the US govt., FAA, etc. to be able to sell them here. When I bought my Emergency Mission, I had to sign a form that authorized Breitling to share my name, address, etc. to the US government and FAA in case I activated the signal and caused rescue resources to come look for me. If you activate signal and it is not a real emergency, you are responsible for the cost of all rescue efforts! Not only that, but pulling the antennaes out requires Breitling to rehab the watch back to the original condition. If it is a true emergency, no problem. But if it is not and you pulled it out by accident or you wanted to see what happens, Breitling will charge you the cost of the watch to return it to the original condition. This is why when people ask me to see the watch, I tell them not to touch or pull the antennae cap!
A lot of great info, thanks!

Great story with a happy ending, OP!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2013, 09:24 PM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Very cool indeed.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2013, 02:40 AM   #30
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I thought they were only to be used by pilots. Guess it works for any real emergency. Nice to know that they work as well as advertised. I got mine when I helped crew a yacht from Mexico to the US. Still love that watch. Don't know that I'll be in that situation again, but if I am...
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**