The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Gallery (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 19 December 2012, 03:03 AM   #1
patrike
"TRF" Member

Watch: The sun go down.
Have you ever bought a temporary watch, until you can get a "grail"?

Have you ever bought a temporary watch, until you can get a "grail"?

Or do you guys save up and go for the grails at once? I guess there´s a few lucky ones that can go out and buy whatever they like. But the most of us can´t. The worst part is that the (price) bar, gets higher and higher for every new watch.

I´m bored and would like a new watch, but don´t feel like going for a grail at the moment because other interests (stockmarket etc). So I am thinking of buying a temporary watch. Something that will be easy to sell without a great loss. Just to get my hand on something new...

Perhaps going for a pre owned 116233 instead of 118238.

I know it´s a sickness... incurable.
Old 19 December 2012, 03:06 AM   #2
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
As I tell most folks, just be patient. Wait around for your grail to show up on the secondary market and save a bundle! Good luck Pat!

To answer your question, I have personally never bought a temporary timepiece

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
Old 19 December 2012, 03:33 AM   #3
patrike
"TRF" Member

Thanks Sam! (Have to say once again, those new Sky Dwellers of yours, looks AMAZING).

You are probably right. I should have some more patience and the right one will appear. But I have to admit, it is a hard decision, to get a variety of watches or a few grails. I get bored so quickly with the low range watches I got, and I am afraid it won´t change when I get a grail.

I am hoping my oil stock will turn out good and provide me with some new wrist candy. :)

Should have studied economy instead of mechanics and go for Wallstreet. :)
Old 19 December 2012, 03:38 AM   #4
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrike View Post
Thanks Sam! (Have to say once again, those new Sky Dwellers of yours, looks AMAZING).

You are probably right. I should have some more patience and the right one will appear. But I have to admit, it is a hard decision, to get a variety of watches or a few grails. I get bored so quickly with the low range watches I got, and I am afraid it won´t change when I get a grail.

I am hoping my oil stock will turn out good and provide me with some new wrist candy. :)

Should have studied economy instead of mechanics and go for Wallstreet. :)
Good sir, I hear you, just remember there is no such thing as a low range watch What would anyone need a Tourbillion for? At the end of the day they all do the same thing... Tell time! I will be pulling for you that the stocks turn. Be happy with the spectacular timepieces you have for now. Though my incoming post here on TRF and behind the scenes acquisitions may be fun, know that in the grand scheme of things this is just a hobby ;-)

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

Old 19 December 2012, 03:51 AM   #5
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Actually I have . I bought an amazing white 1680 that held its value while looking for my perfect red. Found the red and traded the white with another Rolex that I had for a year which also kept its value.
Old 19 December 2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
I did many times..... and ended selling all of them...

So listen to Sam or u will end like me loool
Old 19 December 2012, 04:11 AM   #7
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My problem is I always find something I want while I am saving for my grails. It never fails that I will get over half way there and will buy a watch that I like and end up keeping that one to. I guess the new acquisitions never stop. Lol

Old 19 December 2012, 04:15 AM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

I have a lot of "entry level" watches. Mainly gifted by my father during my childhood. I love them and I wear them with pride.

However, since I set my eyes on "luxury" watches I decided not to purchase anymore any "entry level" watch and just be patient and save up for the "grails"...

Given these premises, I suggest you to hold on your weapon and "invest" on what you really like/want.
Old 19 December 2012, 04:17 AM   #9
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
I have no patience but I am working on it. I bought several watches waiting for the right white gold vintage one to come along and in a price I wanted to pay. I bought them and sold them and am building up toward being able to find the one I want. In the meantime, I learn about the watches and myself. I have become more cautious as I have made some mistakes and fortunately for me in my price range I am able to get my money back. Not everyone is as fortunate.
Old 19 December 2012, 04:19 AM   #10
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
I have a lot of "entry level" watches. Mainly gifted by my father during my childhood. I love them and I wear them with pride.
However, since I set my eyes on "luxury" watches I decided not to purchase anymore any "entry level" watch and just be patient and save up for the "grails"...

Given these premises, I suggest you to hold on your weapon and "invest" on what you really like/want.
Bolded are the best types of timpiece references! Unfortunately I do not have any of my childhood timepieces that my parents gave me Enjoy yours in good health!

Old 19 December 2012, 04:19 AM   #11
MiamiLawyer

Watch: Bluesy, DDII
Get what you REALLY want! If you need a quick fix get something below $200. Good luck!
Old 19 December 2012, 04:20 AM   #12
patrike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Good sir, I hear you, just remember there is no such thing as a low range watch What would anyone need a Tourbillion for? At the end of the day they all do the same thing... Tell time! I will be pulling for you that the stocks turn. Be happy with the spectacular timepieces you have for now. Though my incoming post here on TRF and behind the scenes acquisitions may be fun, know that in the grand scheme of things this is just a hobby ;-)
I guess I need a Tourbillion as much as I need a Picasso. I of watches as small pieces of art. As a mechanical engineer I am really intrigued of how mechanical watches work.

It´s just a hobby. But a fairly addictive one.

Talking about the grand scheme, I think that one is a bit hard to really figure out.
Old 19 December 2012, 04:20 AM   #13
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
The more I think about it ..... the less I even believe there is such a thing as a grail.....

They are simply just watches that are more expensive than you can currently afford at that moment in time based on your particular circumstances that you lust after.....simple as that.....

When they become obtainable, something else suddenly becomes the new object of your desire.... usually something even more expensive and even more unaffordable....

And so it goes on...... well for most watch collectors I know.......me included.....

So in answer to your question, it really depends on how unaffordable the object of your desire is? If it's something that could be afforded in a year or so, then I would always advocate saving for that particular watch and not let yourself be side tracked by other models that could deflect you from your quest......

But if the object of your desire may take many years to become affordable and perhaps never, then my advice would be to reign in your expectations and go for a more realistic goal.

I would always prefer to enjoy the present than fantasise about the future.....
Old 19 December 2012, 04:28 AM   #14
paltak
"TRF" Member

Grail or nothing for me. Problem is, it may be a grail today and no longer tomorrow, thus the constant shuffling. As long as the hunt is still fun, it's all good IMO.
Old 19 December 2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
I tend to agree with Steve (DiamondJack).

The problem with a grail watch is, once you get it, another one tends to become a grail. And so on and so for forth
Old 19 December 2012, 05:43 AM   #16
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
I tend to agree with Steve (DiamondJack).

The problem with a grail watch is, once you get it, another one tends to become a grail. And so on and so for forth
Yup. I have my "grail" watch, and am now looking around again. Do I trade it or keep it? Decisions...
Old 19 December 2012, 06:05 AM   #17
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

nope!
Old 19 December 2012, 06:22 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No, never settle.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 December 2012, 06:44 AM   #19
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Thankfully I have modest tastes for my grail. A SS Sub is something I feel is a grail and I enjoy wearing daily.

On the other hand I wish my Daytona was RG.... less modest but it would be a weekend grail :)
Old 19 December 2012, 06:51 AM   #20
nick c
Banned

Not yet
Old 19 December 2012, 07:08 AM   #21
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Once you get what you thinkn is the grail, another grail comes along!
Old 19 December 2012, 08:43 AM   #22
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
My current grail is the RG chocolate ceramic Daytona and to get there will take a bit of time so in the mean time Im thinking to buy a Hulk but then I dont want to have to sell it later to buy the Daytona, so I might hold off buying it so I can get the Daytona sooner... hmmm decisions...
Old 19 December 2012, 08:52 AM   #23
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Save and get what you really want
Old 19 December 2012, 09:02 AM   #24
patrike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Save and get what you really want
I guess that´s the way to travel. But when I get what I want, I probably want something else/more within quite a short period of time. I am impatient AND get bored with new watches rather fast, which is most unfortunate for me.

I am afraid that even a grail will not change that. I will know when I get there.

Yesterdays grail, Rolex... todays grail Patek/AP... and then what.
Old 19 December 2012, 09:13 AM   #25
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I would say all of them, I've owned AP's, Rolex, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Breitling, Cartier, etc... Buw what I really want is a couple of Patek's that are out of my range right now, someday....
Old 19 December 2012, 09:30 AM   #26
jay1988
"TRF" Member

I've never done it. Pick up a watch that you can definitely sell for a similar price if you want.

There will be no compromises for me. Parents gave me a Reverso which I will never sell and my Sub would fit into any collection. I don't care if I have to wait 5 years for my next watch. I'm only buying what I truly want and never plan on selling any of them.
Old 19 December 2012, 09:37 AM   #27
SubmarinerMariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 100-04-11-01-04
Well Said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
The more I think about it ..... the less I even believe there is such a thing as a grail.....

They are simply just watches that are more expensive than you can currently afford at that moment in time based on your particular circumstances that you lust after.....simple as that.....

When they become obtainable, something else suddenly becomes the new object of your desire.... usually something even more expensive and even more unaffordable....

And so it goes on...... well for most watch collectors I know.......me included.....

So in answer to your question, it really depends on how unaffordable the object of your desire is? If it's something that could be afforded in a year or so, then I would always advocate saving for that particular watch and not let yourself be side tracked by other models that could deflect you from your quest......

But if the object of your desire may take many years to become affordable and perhaps never, then my advice would be to reign in your expectations and go for a more realistic goal.

I would always prefer to enjoy the present than fantasise about the future.....
Old 19 December 2012, 09:39 AM   #28
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say "temporary", but more so a gateway to the addiction....it just gets worse.
Old 19 December 2012, 11:27 AM   #29
jt-
"TRF" Member

I'm in that boat right now. Spending most of my watch savings on a present for my Dad, so while I live vicariously through his watch I'm shopping around in the under $1500 range for something temporary for myself.
Old 19 December 2012, 11:30 AM   #30
c.rod
"TRF" Member

i have and do. with kids, work, economy...... life. sometimes for me certain purchases arent in my best interest. not that i cant go out and buy the DSSD i want, just trying to be "responsible" and plan for the oops/what if factor. so that being said i have bought a cheaper watch that was easier for me to justify at certain times. i loved those watches in their own right, just wasnt the grail.
Closed Thread