The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2016, 01:52 AM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Yes but I don't regret it and have no remorse !
By all means stay here but, as ever, try not to make your comments personal attacks, just try to comment on what you are doing and then we won't be derailing any more threads.
Old 24 September 2016, 01:53 AM   #62
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
1. I don't regret any of my purchases, even if I made some mistakes. I bought a white 116520 because it was there in the AD. I never loved it, and it went after a few months. I bought a BLNR because of its popularity here, even though I knew that deep down I preferred the LN. Corrected the "mistake" a year later (and made a small profit on the BLNR).

2. Absolutely no feelings of regret for any of the pieces I've moved on.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 24 September 2016, 02:10 AM   #63
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
By all means stay here but, as ever, try not to make your comments personal attacks, just try to comment on what you are doing and then we won't be derailing any more threads.
For what it's worth, I didn't see any of Mick's comments as being a personal attack. I don't agree with all his comments, but that's cool.

But, this was supposed to be a fun thread so back to it!

I'm still waiting for the big one - someone must have done something truly crazy at some point!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 24 September 2016, 02:24 AM   #64
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't see any of Mick's comments as being a personal attack. I don't agree with all his comments, but that's cool.

But, this was supposed to be a fun thread so back to it!

I'm still waiting for the big one - someone must have done something truly crazy at some point!
Token

Thank you for your sensible response.

Getting back to the thread, I cannot see anyone admitting to doing something really crazy because it would be akin to self certification of madness.

Please stay around, we need more chaps with your good sense, maturity, good temper, well defined judgement and expert knowledge.

Regards

Mick
Old 24 September 2016, 02:33 AM   #65
dbluevette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Token

Buying something one day and regretting later shows that there is something wrong in the way you are approaching this hobby.

If you do your research, you will know whether you want it or not. If you are not sure, do not buy.

I have never regretted any purchase I have ever made in my life because I only buy what I truly want.

Possibly you should give Rolex a miss.

Regards

Mick

I regret buying a vintage Rolex piece that gets no wrist time. I thought I wanted it at the time, but I enjoy the modern rolex better. I'll just end up giving it away as a gift or maybe sell it. This way I can make the best out of a bad decision.
Old 24 September 2016, 02:34 AM   #66
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Token

Getting back to the thread, I cannot see anyone admitting to doing something really crazy because it would be akin to self certification of madness.

Please stay around, we need more chaps with your good sense, maturity, good temper, well defined judgement and expert knowledge.

Regards

Mick
Do you not even see how much of a joke your response is?

No, of course you don't.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 24 September 2016, 02:38 AM   #67
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I have a regret buying a DJ II. Lost about 2.5k after only wearing it for about 2 months. Traded for a GMT IIC

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Old 24 September 2016, 02:46 AM   #68
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Token

Regards

Mick

Cheers Mick.

certified myself as mad a long time ago!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 24 September 2016, 02:49 AM   #69
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
I have a regret buying a DJ II. Lost about 2.5k after only wearing it for about 2 months. Traded for a GMT IIC
Oops! That's quite bad! :-)

Old 24 September 2016, 02:50 AM   #70
Bo-Dacious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Token

Buying something one day and regretting later shows that there is something wrong in the way you are approaching this hobby.

If you do your research, you will know whether you want it or not. If you are not sure, do not buy.

I have never regretted any purchase I have ever made in my life because I only buy what I truly want.

Regards

Mick
Loosen up the reins, cowboy.
Old 24 September 2016, 02:57 AM   #71
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Token

Regards

Mick
It is nothing wrong with what he did and how he is approaching the whole thing.. You do not buy a house/ you are not getting married. it is just a watch forum... Relax.
Old 24 September 2016, 02:58 AM   #72
the0thrdude
Banned

Watch: 16710,116300
Honestly, it's foolish to think that regret or mistakes don't occur in the pursuit of happiness in a hobby. If anything, mistakes can result in more steps forward to happiness in this hobby.

As for me, No regrets so far.
Old 24 September 2016, 03:07 AM   #73
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by the0thrdude View Post
Honestly, it's foolish to think that regret or mistakes don't occur in the pursuit of happiness in a hobby. If anything, mistakes can result in more steps forward to happiness in this hobby.

As for me, No regrets so far.
I buy/sell one motorcycle per year/ I lose money but I do not care as long as my hobby keeps me happy.
Old 24 September 2016, 03:16 AM   #74
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Token Token Token

"When will you learn?" Lol! I know some want to give advice but not me!

I just want to thank you for your continuing contributions to this Forum.

Im glad u brought this up. I do regret selling but financially I can't keep them all so yes I have to make concessions but I am happy knowing they are in my memory...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 24 September 2016, 03:25 AM   #75
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Do you not even see how much of a joke your response is?

No, of course you don't.
I think Mick is cold as ice
Old 24 September 2016, 03:33 AM   #76
ayrle
Banned

Old 24 September 2016, 03:56 AM   #77
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
First, I turn 67 in October and bought my first Rolex at 23 (1974 I believe) while in the military - a TT DJ (1601) that I sold 20 years later because I was seeing TT DJ's on virtually every waiter and colleague and stranger in the D.C. urban area. They were definitely in style. It worked fine mechanically but seeing it everywhere meant it was not special anymore, or that is what I thought.

I sold the TT DJ to Marcus & Co. (this was before the internet) for a few hundred bucks.

Then I went to Cartier because I liked their watches' looks. First a SS Pasha, then a few years later a TT Roadster. I liked them but they both needed servicing after 2 years or so, and I began to see this as a pattern.

So I sold the TT Roadster and bought the Hulk when it first came out, maybe 2013. Then, while researching it on the internet I discovered watch forums and TRF in particular.

We moved to from D.C. area to La Jolla, CA for retirement and made the move cheaper than we planned, so I bought my grail, the Platona. And now, though I'm tempted from time to time, I am happy with the Hulk and Platona.

Regrets: probably my moving to Cartier, but this was before the internet and I just did not know about movements, etc. So I regret it but not much.

Whew. That was an exhausting task dredging up memories.
Old 24 September 2016, 03:59 AM   #78
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
1. Regret buying - 116718 - YG GMT.....gorgeous watch but not for me. Sold it in less than a week.

2. Regret selling - 2 actually - 16613 Slate Serti & 16710 Pepsi....both were mint and unpolished but had to sell them at the time to put the money towards a house purchase.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
Old 24 September 2016, 04:00 AM   #79
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
"When will you learn?" Lol! I know some want to give advice but not me!

I just want to thank you for your continuing contributions to this Forum.

Im glad u brought this up. I do regret selling but financially I can't keep them all so yes I have to make concessions but I am happy knowing they are in my memory...

Old 24 September 2016, 04:03 AM   #80
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISSAHOLICS View Post
1. Regret buying - 116718 - YG GMT.....gorgeous watch but not for me. Sold it in less than a week.

2. Regret selling - 2 actually - 16613 Slate Serti & 16710 Pepsi....both were mint and unpolished but had to sell them at the time to put the money towards a house purchase.
That's the spirit - it's not a regret in the sense that you did something you wish you hadn't, because clearly a house is more important, but still a regret nonetheless.

Yellow gold will cause a lot of people regret in my view; lots of us do it, and want to do it, but then realise that either it's not 'us' or it just doesn't suit us. Doesn't mean we don't like it...

Old 24 September 2016, 04:04 AM   #81
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
First, I turn 67 in October and bought my first Rolex at 23 (1974 I believe) while in the military - a TT DJ (1601) that I sold 20 years later because I was seeing TT DJ's on virtually every waiter and colleague and stranger in the D.C. urban area. They were definitely in style. It worked fine mechanically but seeing it everywhere meant it was not special anymore, or that is what I thought.

I sold the TT DJ to Marcus & Co. (this was before the internet) for a few hundred bucks.

Then I went to Cartier because I liked their watches' looks. First a SS Pasha, then a few years later a TT Roadster. I liked them but they both needed servicing after 2 years or so, and I began to see this as a pattern.

So I sold the TT Roadster and bought the Hulk when it first came out, maybe 2013. Then, while researching it on the internet I discovered watch forums and TRF in particular.

We moved to from D.C. area to La Jolla, CA for retirement and made the move cheaper than we planned, so I bought my grail, the Platona. And now, though I'm tempted from time to time, I am happy with the Hulk and Platona.

Regrets: probably my moving to Cartier, but this was before the internet and I just did not know about movements, etc. So I regret it but not much.

Whew. That was an exhausting task dredging up memories.
Platona is awesome! I was born in 74. Good year!!

Old 24 September 2016, 04:06 AM   #82
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Some would argue that not having any regrets means never taking a chance. And not making any mistakes means never pushing the boundaries.

I currently have a Sea Dweller which I've had for over two years, and the new Daytona which I am very happy with. I'm about to go shopping for a Royal Oak which I've been researching for the past year. So, I'm pretty happy with my approach and not sure how anything I've done suggests I should give Rolex a miss?

But have I made mistakes, yep. Have I learned from them, yep. Will I probably make new mistakes, yep. This applies to every aspect of my life, and I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Different strokes I guess...
agree 100% - always push boundaries!
I'd much rather regret something I did than regret something I didn't do!
Old 24 September 2016, 04:08 AM   #83
Token74
"TRF" Member

Guys...regret shouldn't be taken too seriously. I don't lose any sleep over anything I have done in the watch world. I regret not spending more time with my kids when they were young, that's a real regret...in the terms of this thread, it's meant more a...'if I had my time over, I wouldn't have...'

Keep it light hearted all...

One of my regrets was that I bought my first Sea Dweller on e-Bay. It was fine and I liked it, but I always had a nagging doubt about it as I wasn't sure about the seller. Sold it and all good, but I learnt from that, I would never buy from anyone I wasn't 100% sure about again.

Old 24 September 2016, 04:08 AM   #84
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
agree 100% - always push boundaries!
I'd much rather regret something I did than regret something I didn't do!
Yup, damn right.

Old 24 September 2016, 08:56 AM   #85
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
1. None

2. None

3. However, I do regret not buying an 116610LN. It's the watch I've lusted after for almost 30 years and, for some inexplicable reason, I still haven't got around to buying one.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 September 2016, 10:53 AM   #86
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
Mistakenly bought a 1601 Datejust thinking I wanted low key but the 36 was just too small, then I traded for the Blue 116264 TOG which was a "bigger" 36 and beautiful watch but after time the 36 was just too small especially next to my GMT. So I sold the TOG and picked up the blue YM and now the YM is in the collection forever (I think LOL). Love the versatility!!

Got the PM bug now for WG, got the Daytona 116509 that I'm loving and maybe I regret that I really want a DD40 WG with Blue Dial by next year! I regret my lack of self control but hey how many times do we live?!
Old 24 September 2016, 03:16 PM   #87
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

This is a great thread, there's a lot of little nuggets of wisdom here.

I've learned from every watch that I've sold. Whatever my reason was for selling - too big, too uncomfortable, too small, etc - it has added to my watch self-awareness. Now I know which kinds of watches I will not like, no matter how much I love them in photos and while trying them on for a few minutes in an AD.

Some of the ones I've sold I still think back on with fondness, but I know that my reasons for selling them were valid, and are still valid, so I never consider re-purchasing.

However, I do regret NOT buying a mint condition Tudor big block chrono with a panda dial. A friend offered it to me for $1000 about 15-16 years ago. It was a fair price back then, but I had just bought my first Rolex for $2000, and spending another grand on a watch felt very foolish at that time. Ahh, youth...
Old 24 September 2016, 03:43 PM   #88
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I sold my 16710 coke a few months back because it wasn't getting any wrist time. I've no regrets about letting it go only that I let it go to cheap
Old 24 September 2016, 03:53 PM   #89
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36Efc View Post
I sold my 16710 coke a few months back because it wasn't getting any wrist time. I've no regrets about letting it go only that I let it go to cheap
That's tough to swallow, but hopefully it went to an enthusiast who will
Appreciate it.
Old 24 September 2016, 04:05 PM   #90
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Sensible people benchmark and emulate people who do things right. I am obviously doing something right because I have never had buyers remorse but if you want to take the p*** then fine.
Quote:

I love that these two lines exist in the same thread!

Oh and just for fun ;) lol.
Closed Thread