The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 September 2016, 04:28 PM   #91
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Haven't regretted any of them, and I've never sold one. I've got nothing to contribute.
Old 24 September 2016, 04:56 PM   #92
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
Thanks, Professor Hindsight. I'm sure the OP never considered this inspired pearl of wisdom.

Regretted selling my 16610 sub and then wasting my money on a brand beneath a Rolex when I should have just waited and saved.
"Professor Hindsight" Oh I don't know if you're being rude or if this was the right thing to say.... But I just had to laugh...
Old 24 September 2016, 04:56 PM   #93
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Token

Buying something one day and regretting later shows that there is something wrong in the way you are approaching this hobby.

If you do your research, you will know whether you want it or not. If you are not sure, do not buy.

I have never regretted any purchase I have ever made in my life because I only buy what I truly want.

Possibly you should give Rolex a miss.

Regards

Mick
"I bought a 16610 Sub and immediately regretted it" says Mick.

www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=482865
Old 24 September 2016, 04:59 PM   #94
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
My only regret is that I don't have enough time to give them all the love they deserve.
Grady, I want to help. Send me the ones that don't get enough wrist time and love, I PROMISE you, I will cherish them all they deserve. No, no need to thank me, just helping out a friend. I'll PM you my address....
Old 24 September 2016, 06:05 PM   #95
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Adam

Now come come, that is a bit of misrepresentation.

You have taken one sentence out of a long paragraph.

I am actually wearing the 16610 Sub as I am typing this post from my humble shack in Spain where I am mid way through a six week break.

The Sub tends to be to be my default holiday watch because is just seems more appropriate to wear and is my best waterproof watch.

I now have four Rolex and have neither remorse nor regret in buying any of them. I try to ensure that they all get equal wear but that is easier said than done because I travel so much due to being retired. So one is on my wrist and the other three are locked up in a big heavy safe in the UK.

Looking forward I would like to buy another Rolex (which will be the last one) a 16710 is currently high on the wish list.

So no remorse there.

I have had a bit of a think about this remorse issue overnight and I have to concede on reflection that I now regret buying three small cuttings of ivy which I planted up against my 6ft high garden wall twenty years ago.

Today, all three walls that surround my rear garden are covered in the bloody stuff and twice a year I have to spend a full day, trimming it back and then picking up all the bits. I bought a Honda petrol trimmer which too heavy to use and I think at 67 I may have to pay someone to come in and do it for me or have it all cut down and removed.

I hope this proves to your satisfaction that I am indeed indecisive.

Regards

Mick
Old 24 September 2016, 07:10 PM   #96
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
This turned out to be an interesting thread.

My contribution,

1- Last year I bought the Blue dial Milgauss after a year of lusting over it. However after wearing it for couple of months, I found out polished bezel is not for me. Even though I still like the watch, I will flip it in the near future. I dont think this is because I changed over a year but because I did not have enough knowledge or experience to decide which one would suit me better. So I guess I regret buying Milgauss instead of a BLNR almost a year ago. Lesson learned from this experience.

2-Milgauss will be the first watch I will flip and time will tell if I do or not regret the decision in the future.
Old 24 September 2016, 09:31 PM   #97
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
I regret every one I sold or traded. I have never regretted any purchase.
Old 24 September 2016, 09:48 PM   #98
cwieb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

He told me this as well-

"There is absolutely no need for a grown person over the age of 21 who has a reasonable degree of intelligence to buy or sell something one day and then to regret it a few days later."

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=467340
Old 24 September 2016, 09:56 PM   #99
artschool
"TRF" Member

https://uk.pinterest.com/explore/no-regrets-quotes/

read these to save typing.
Old 24 September 2016, 10:18 PM   #100
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I have never regretted any purchase I have ever made in my life because I only buy what I truly want.
Have you ever received a disappointing dish at a restaurant and regretted ordering it?
Old 24 September 2016, 10:25 PM   #101
vince211
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c
Great thread!

1. Regret buying my wife a pink dial datejust due to lack of wrist time. Its just not the same feeling for her to wear a nice watch. Regret buying myself gmt2c as my ceramic bezel had an issue and shattered. Regret buying black dial daytona since i already had a moonwatch which was to me was superior and had sentimental value. I also hated the pcl's on both the gmt and daytona.

2. Regret selling my non date sub. First rolex and sold within a yeat to "upgrade" to gmt. Regret selling my moonwatch as well. Wore it durng a graduation ceremony but fell in love with subc and had no wrist time.
Old 24 September 2016, 10:35 PM   #102
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Have you ever received a disappointing dish at a restaurant and regretted ordering it?
Yes indeed.

I used to get taken out for lunch (business) about 3 times a week for nearly 35 years and I did have some disappointing dishes put in front of me.

My only get out was that it was the salesman who paid for it, however you have made an excellent point.

Regards

Mick
Old 24 September 2016, 10:49 PM   #103
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwieb View Post
He told me this as well-

"There is absolutely no need for a grown person over the age of 21 who has a reasonable degree of intelligence to buy or sell something one day and then to regret it a few days later."

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=467340
I hope he received an infraction for that remark?
Old 24 September 2016, 11:22 PM   #104
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Rolex Remorse...

Great thread. Interesting views and experiences.
Flipped many over the years with minimal regrets. Chalk up those activities to learning experiences.
Even with doing all the research before a purchase I never really know if I will bond with a watch until I wear it a few times. In those cases there is no regret as I did my due diligence prior to the purchase.

I can recall a few "impulsive" watch buys over the years but one really stands out.
On vacation in Maui. Having a great week. The beach, weather, golf, food and cocktails and my lovely bride to be. We went shopping and popped into Baron and Leeds and an hour later I walked out with a two tone Yacht Master. A watch that was not on my radar. Before we left the island I knew this was not the watch for me but did not try to return or exchange it as I made the decision to purchase. Not the stores fault I made an impulsive decision. I flipped it at a huge loss a few weeks later back home....
I regret selling my first Rolex 16613 purchased in 1987 and worn daily for many years. Foolishly traded it in.
I have many on the regret I didn't buy list. A good friend ran a small shop and specialized in vintage Rolex long before the vintage boom. In the late 80's early 90's he was always offering me deals on vintage/used pieces. Most notably many gilt Subs and 6263/5 Daytona's which at the time he could not move and by today's standards were "dirt" cheap.
Ty: By height.
Old 24 September 2016, 11:50 PM   #105
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Adam

I have had a bit of a think about this remorse issue overnight and I have to concede on reflection that I now regret buying three small cuttings of ivy which I planted up against my 6ft high garden wall twenty years ago.

Today, all three walls that surround my rear garden are covered in the bloody stuff and twice a year I have to spend a full day, trimming it back and then picking up all the bits. I bought a Honda petrol trimmer which too heavy to use and I think at 67 I may have to pay someone to come in and do it for me or have it all cut down and removed.

Mick
Ha ha, truly made me laugh!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 25 September 2016, 12:11 AM   #106
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:

I hope this proves to your satisfaction that I am indeed indecisive.

Regards

Mick
Mick

You have said previously that you will refrain from humour in future posts. i have raised this issue with you on more than one occasion and have been ignored.

I can't believe that one so educated (and judgemental) as yourself can be ignorant so I can only conclude that you are indeed indecisive.

Regards,

Ruud.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 September 2016, 12:20 AM   #107
austinp
"TRF" Member

Great thread. I love the diverse opinions on TRF. Thats what makes it so entertaining and informative for me. It would be boring if everyone agreed on everything! Im fairly new to this hobby so no regrets buying yet. Have a great weekend!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2016, 12:31 AM   #108
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Mick

You have said previously that you will refrain from humour in future posts. i have raised this issue with you on more than one occasion and have been ignored.

I can't believe that one so educated (and judgemental) as yourself can be ignorant so I can only conclude that you are indeed indecisive.

Regards,

Ruud.
humorist
Ruud

What is humorist about a frail old man wielding a heavy petrol driven piece of machinery trying to trim over 200ft of ivy. It's bad enough for a young guy let alone an old man of 67.

You Sir are a sadist.

Mick
Old 25 September 2016, 12:39 AM   #109
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Never regretted buying a Rolex. Other brands maybe but Rolex has never left me feeling fleeced.
Old 25 September 2016, 01:07 AM   #110
multimedia
"TRF" Member

I'm starting to wonder; Is this Mick guy for real? :)

Otherwise, they might just go ahead and change the explanation for ignorant on WikipediA to; "please do a search on username Mick over at rolexforums.com"

Cheers,
Joe
Old 25 September 2016, 01:27 AM   #111
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
I'm starting to wonder; Is this Mick guy for real? :)

Otherwise, they might just go ahead and change the explanation for ignorant on WikipediA to; "please do a search on username Mick over at rolexforums.com"

Cheers,
Joe
I was gonna say the other day, sometimes it feels like "the long con" of trolling. If it were the first few posts or months of membership there'd be no question. But it's been like this for a while.
Old 25 September 2016, 01:29 AM   #112
Speed
"TRF" Member

Rolex Remorse...

I'm not a flipper...I do however regret not buying Vintage 5513 or 1680 Subs for $5k USD maybe 6-7 years ago. Try doing that now

I also regret getting into watches " too late" - i.e. I should have bought more in my single days.
Old 25 September 2016, 01:31 AM   #113
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Adam

Now come come, that is a bit of misrepresentation.

You have taken one sentence out of a long paragraph.
How could that be any bit of a misrepresentation? It was a word for word quote. Here's the full paragraph so you have no more confusion.

"After I retired I travelled a lot spending about 6 months a year touring Europe where the dress code is a bit more casual. To cut a long story short, I bought a 16610 Sub and immediately regretted it as I considered it looked a bit loud."
Old 25 September 2016, 01:43 AM   #114
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
How could that be any bit of a misrepresentation? It was a word for word quote. Here's the full paragraph so you have no more confusion.

"After I retired I travelled a lot spending about 6 months a year touring Europe where the dress code is a bit more casual. To cut a long story short, I bought a 16610 Sub and immediately regretted it as I considered it looked a bit loud."
I think he may now regret writing that....
Old 25 September 2016, 02:42 AM   #115
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Now THAT was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I think he may now regret writing that....
Old 25 September 2016, 03:21 AM   #116
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
If you ever regret buying a Rolex, then you don't need to wear a Rolex...LOL.
I feel very blessed to even have one.

Only regret I have: Buying some TAG's prior to Rolex. Well, maybe I should not say that.
TAG's are great watches and i have the Carrera Flyblack now, but when i got the F1's, the devalue factor was extremely disappointing, lost $$ selling them.
Tha being said, I should have gone straight for the Rollies...:)
Don't pass GO, don't collect $200...:)

Old 25 September 2016, 04:03 AM   #117
TheVTCGuy
Banned

What this thread has turned in to... From what I think was a fair question from the OP...

Can someone please post that Emocon of the guy eating popcorn for me?
Old 25 September 2016, 07:17 AM   #118
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I most regret buying the 116520.

I most regret selling the 116520.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Daytona.
Old 25 September 2016, 05:29 PM   #119
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I most regret buying the 116520.

I most regret selling the 116520.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Daytona.
You bought a steel watch??? This is big news and needs to be promoted to page one!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 25 September 2016, 07:09 PM   #120
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwatch View Post
"Buying a watch is about buying one that suits you, not just one that you like."
+1 to this. Awesome quote.

This is interesting as I had actually never really considered that there was going to be a watch after which I lusted but that wouldn't actually suit me. Of course I knew there were watches I didn't want because I knew they wouldn't suit me, but I didn't ever expect that my grail wouldn't suit me!

My grail has always been the watch I now own, 16753:

And I now actually regret buying it. I was, at the same time, looking at a black bezel 16750 from NKFlyer.... shoulda bought that: I'm much more a stainless watch kinda guy. (So I guess that also responds to Q.3)

What's the one watch I regret selling.... 16710 black bezel. I flipped it for a 116710LN and never got over the Micky Mouse looks of the LN bezel.

But I'm not a wealthy guy, so I only get to have one watch -- and each one of my watches is helping me narrow down the watch I think I'd be best with: a black bezel 16750.

My 116710LN had a low case back I really liked; my 16753 showed me that the 16750 series also have a low (lower than 16710) case back; my 16753 also showed me I could live without the third time zone function, that I prefer a tight no-click bezel to a click bezel, and that I love acrylic; my sub and LN showed me I love the black and stainless; and my no-date sub showed me I need a date function.

So I think they've all brought something to me I didn't know before I bought them -- and something I couldn't know until I wore them. So, in some respects I don't regret any and in other respects I do. I lost $3k on my LN and I'll probably lose on the 16753 to get out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Closed Thread