The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Watch Shopping in London and the Daytona...

So, I went to London this weekend with the intention of choosing which Royal Oak model to order, and to double check my choice against a Patek Nautilus; however, instead of discussing these two watches in detail here, this post will largely focus on Rolex, which was never the intention!

Firstly, let’s get the AP and Patek bit out the way; there were no 15202’s anywhere in stock so couldn’t try one on, and the same applies to the Nautilus, so total fail in that regard. What I would say about Patek, is that the Patek guy in Watches of Switzerland was unbelievably smug and condescending, and the folk in the Patek boutique in Bond Street didn’t show any interest in me whatsoever. So Patek are now on my **** list. Perhaps confirmation that a Patek is not suited to me!

More interesting was the Rolex experience throughout the weekend. Firstly, stock of sports models was low everywhere although in Harrods the guys were saying that stock has just started to come in after a summer where they have been depleted; by all accounts, it’s c.30% cheaper to buy in the UK than the US right now so a lot of models have likely been sold to overseas customers visiting London.

Despite having the conversation several times in different places, nobody would confirm a soon-to-come price rise; in fact, whilst they all said it was a reasonable guess, in their view it is exactly that. Of course, we know this is the case because Rolex won’t tell them about a price rise ahead of it happening, but refreshing to have honest responses.

The big take-away from the weekend focussed around the Daytona. Everywhere I went my 116500 was commented on (apart from Patek who missed it or just didn’t care) and it proved quite a talking point; at one point, a customer in one of the stores spotted it and wanted to have a look at it (he is 10th on the list with his AD). This was pretty cool for a bit, but it did get a little tiresome after a while if I’m honest!! Even the big boys in London were saying that they are not expecting to get any more than six in the first 12 months, maybe less. Although they said it’s done on an allocation basis rather than an order basis so anything could happen.

The second Daytona story was that I got to experience the Platinum Daytona for the first time! Wow! Firstly, it is stunningly beautiful and the chocolate bezel against the blue dial is simply amazing, it really is something special. The second thing was the weight. Again, wow! I knew it would be heavier than my steel model, but I had no idea it would be that much heavier. And finally, I had never realised how different the case is in terms of shape and dimensions. The lugs are much thicker and the crown guards a totally different shape.

My other take-away was the BLRO which I hadn't previously seen in the flesh, in some lights the blue looks more purple than blue which surprised me.

In many ways a disappointing weekend, but the Platona made it interesting.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'm disappointed to read of your experience with Patek. I get really ticked off when I walk into an establishment that flogs items that are eye-wateringly expensive and they look at me like someone's just scraped me off their shoe. That's usually the brand/proprietor off my list for good.

Maybe your cash would be better placed in the platinum Daytona or BLRO

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 05:25 PM   #3
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Vince,
Sorry to hear about lack of stock it is an issue at the moment.

As for PP that is a shame and the totally opposite to the treatment I got at the PP AD in Southampton the gentleman I dealt with there was great and to be fair one of the best AD experiences I've had (went not purchasing)

I'm off to Paris in November and trying to line up some PP and AP viewing while there.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 05:28 PM   #4
tomj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II 41
I spoke to a few AD's in the UK this week and they had a fair bit of SS stock delivered. One in particular said he'd received 5+ SS professional watches in the past week alone.

And sucks to hear that about Patek - I've been eyeing a Nautilus off myself lately, sounds like AD's can be such a hit+miss affair.

ps: up to 35% off in the UK right now if you grab a VAT refund. A real bargain.
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 05:41 PM   #5
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj View Post
I spoke to a few AD's in the UK this week and they had a fair bit of SS stock delivered. One in particular said he'd received 5+ SS professional watches in the past week alone.

And sucks to hear that about Patek - I've been eyeing a Nautilus off myself lately, sounds like AD's can be such a hit+miss affair.

ps: up to 35% off in the UK right now if you grab a VAT refund. A real bargain.
Not for the OP as like me living in the UK this situation has made buying harder not easier/cheaper
Old 26 September 2016, 06:13 PM   #6
MattCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/ROLEX
Some people working in most AD are not very kind.
If you don't dress a nice suit and don't have the look of someone with money they also look pissed off.

Why?! Because you always have to remember that they are simple employees representing prestigious brands.

Is funny when I visit any AD with running shoes, jeans and T shirt, the treatment is completely different from when I go in with a nice suit and 30k watch on my wrist.

In the end they are humas. Some are jealous some "abuse" of their work position.

Just enjoy the time pieces. And for nothing I the world don't be afraid to ask them to show you all the collection.
Old 26 September 2016, 09:07 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good story and thanks for sharing. I equate the PP experience to owning a Range Rover. Always wanted one, researched it, bought one when my research told me not to come near the vehicle. Everything the research told me, expensive purchase price, crushing deprecation, crazy service cost, limited dealer network, etc. Always wanted one though and I paid for it. Now I have a Lexus SUV and could not be more pleased. Everything the Rover was not the Lexus is. Same way with PP. I can not tell you how many bad stories I have heard, price, service and staff. Beautiful watches but I will stick with Rolex, Tudor, Omega.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 09:14 PM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I'm disappointed to read of your experience with Patek. I get really ticked off when I walk into an establishment that flogs items that are eye-wateringly expensive and they look at me like someone's just scraped me off their shoe. That's usually the brand/proprietor off my list for good.
exactly and the worst thing that you receive such a treat from sales monkeys who can hardly pay their rent .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 09:23 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sorry to hear about the Patek experience.
Maybe better luck with AP. The 15202 is amazing and I think it'll exceed expectations when you finally get to see one.
Sleek thin profile. Beautiful movement. Top notch finishing. History. Classic Genta design. That blue tapisserie dial. I could go on but I'm sure these are all things that draw you to it. That along with your 116500 is a perfect pair in my opinion.
The Platona and BLRO are my 2 favorite PM in the Rolex line. Glad you got to see them. Good luck moving forward.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 09:38 PM   #10
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
exactly and the worst thing that you receive such a treat from sales monkeys who can hardly pay their rent .
Whoever Vincent dealt with obviously acted in poor form and in essence lost a potential customer.

However I don't agree with the 'sales monkeys who can hardy pay their rent' comment at all!
Old 26 September 2016, 09:41 PM   #11
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
This is exactly what infuriates me

When you are making a special purchase whether it be Rolex / PP / AP or whatever you want it to be an enjoyable, special and memorable experience.

Sadly, we rarely get that because someone is on a power trip!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:00 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've said it before the PP boutique is a funereal, awful place with never any sports men's watches, I always start humming Amazing Grace in there and half the staff join in now. I wouldn't write off the brand for that tho, and best chance to see a Naut/Aqua is at a resellers. I bought mine from a different AD and had a wonderful VIP experience and got a free travel case too, worth £200 I think.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:09 PM   #13
ryan1011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
So, I went to London this weekend with the intention of choosing which Royal Oak model to order, and to double check my choice against a Patek Nautilus; however, instead of discussing these two watches in detail here, this post will largely focus on Rolex, which was never the intention!

Firstly, let’s get the AP and Patek bit out the way; there were no 15202’s anywhere in stock so couldn’t try one on, and the same applies to the Nautilus, so total fail in that regard. What I would say about Patek, is that the Patek guy in Watches of Switzerland was unbelievably smug and condescending, and the folk in the Patek boutique in Bond Street didn’t show any interest in me whatsoever. So Patek are now on my **** list. Perhaps confirmation that a Patek is not suited to me!

More interesting was the Rolex experience throughout the weekend. Firstly, stock of sports models was low everywhere although in Harrods the guys were saying that stock has just started to come in after a summer where they have been depleted; by all accounts, it’s c.30% cheaper to buy in the UK than the US right now so a lot of models have likely been sold to overseas customers visiting London.

Despite having the conversation several times in different places, nobody would confirm a soon-to-come price rise; in fact, whilst they all said it was a reasonable guess, in their view it is exactly that. Of course, we know this is the case because Rolex won’t tell them about a price rise ahead of it happening, but refreshing to have honest responses.

The big take-away from the weekend focussed around the Daytona. Everywhere I went my 116500 was commented on (apart from Patek who missed it or just didn’t care) and it proved quite a talking point; at one point, a customer in one of the stores spotted it and wanted to have a look at it (he is 10th on the list with his AD). This was pretty cool for a bit, but it did get a little tiresome after a while if I’m honest!! Even the big boys in London were saying that they are not expecting to get any more than six in the first 12 months, maybe less. Although they said it’s done on an allocation basis rather than an order basis so anything could happen.

The second Daytona story was that I got to experience the Platinum Daytona for the first time! Wow! Firstly, it is stunningly beautiful and the chocolate bezel against the blue dial is simply amazing, it really is something special. The second thing was the weight. Again, wow! I knew it would be heavier than my steel model, but I had no idea it would be that much heavier. And finally, I had never realised how different the case is in terms of shape and dimensions. The lugs are much thicker and the crown guards a totally different shape.

My other take-away was the BLRO which I hadn't previously seen in the flesh, in some lights the blue looks more purple than blue which surprised me.

In many ways a disappointing weekend, but the Platona made it interesting.
I've been in WOS several times only into rolex and omega, i'd never go upstairs to patek etc as always felt it's more for the super rich/celeb types and i think that's why you got the sh**y experience as thats who they 'want' to deal with
ryan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:15 PM   #14
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Whoever Vincent dealt with obviously acted in poor form and in essence lost a potential customer.

However I don't agree with the 'sales monkeys who can hardy pay their rent' comment at all!

I m from sales ,I know how to handle customers those who don't just wasting their time behind the counter with elitist behavior and incompetence .
They are the forefront of the brand and instead of giving an unforgettable experience just crashing hard working people s day.
They are monkeys.period.

Obviously my highest respect to those helpful professionals who are serving clients as should be!

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:28 PM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Too bad Vince; guess Rolex is the way at AD or perhaps another Patek AD which knows how to handle a customer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:21 PM   #16
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
When I walk into a Patek AD, security takes notice unfortunately. I've been followed around, and borderline harassed in there.
Then the "smug" staff sees I'm wearing a big boy watch, and the situation deflates and next thing you know every showcase is open.

They could sell A LOT more watches if they hired more friendly staff. They just "assume" a real customer knows exactly what they want before they walk in and make an inquiry.

I can walk into any Ferrari or Rolls Royce lot and take any car off the floor for a test drive as soon as I walk in, t-shirt and all. They understand that people are different, and anyone who walks in their doors can be a potential sale.

That's why I don't really care for Patek. I adore my Patek watches, but their DNA as a company just oozes pompous prick
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:23 PM   #17
SC11
Banned

Quote:
I m from sales ,I know how to handle customers those who don't just wasting their time behind the counter with elitist behavior and incompetence .
They are the forefront of the brand and instead of giving an unforgettable experience just crashing hard working people s day.
They are monkeys.period.

Obviously my highest respect to those helpful professionals who are serving clients as should be!
Exactly but your comment did come across as a general opinion of sales assistants rather then an individual.
Old 26 September 2016, 11:34 PM   #18
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Well I actually had a good experience with some people at Patek in Watches of Switzerland, to my memory ry there were some younger dudes and then an older one like late 30s or early 40s. The service was so good, we had a long chat and he said he flew to Switzerland to meet with some Patek execs and then I told him about a problem with my Piaget box (I have the one from 6 years ago, it's pretty awful) with the missing cushion. Then he proceeded to find a cushion in black so I can put it in my Piaget box. It didn't fit in the end but certainly the service I experienced was excellent.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:36 PM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I've said it before the PP boutique is a funereal, awful place with never any sports men's watches, I always start humming Amazing Grace in there and half the staff join in now. I wouldn't write off the brand for that tho, and best chance to see a Naut/Aqua is at a resellers. I bought mine from a different AD and had a wonderful VIP experience and got a free travel case too, worth £200 I think.

I love the "Amazing Grace" bit. That would be truly amazing to see / hear!

I've wandered to the PP section from time to time. Usually no sales person to be seen...save for the Las Vegas boutiques where sales clerks follow like the Shark in Jaws - cue dun dah...dun dah...ominous background music.

Sigh...it's a pity that ADs are what they are (generally speaking). I really would buy from one if pricing and experience were more pleasant.

Let's not even bring up the imminent "price increase" line.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:55 PM   #20
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Hi Vince. I was in London this weekend myself and visited WOS Regent street. Sorry the Patek staff were offish,,,,don't let that put you off the 5711 though,,,it's a stunning watch in the flesh, iconic design,,as is the 15202. If I had known you were in London you could have tried my 5711 on. Agree the Platona is one heavy beast,,,,feels very special on the wrist. Good luck with the search, and I can thoroughly recommend the 5711 for smaller wrists and more under the radar and exclusive,,,,even the Rolex guy commented on the rare beast on my wrist.
Regards,
Andy
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:12 AM   #21
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Salespeople in all luxury lines tend to size up customers when they walk in the door. I don't go into a BMW or Porsche dealership in shorts and flip flops and expect to be taken seriously. I always wear my Rolex to a dealership, and dress somewhat appropriately.

It is unfortunate that sales people tend to jump to the conclusion that a poorly dressed person is just window shopping and a more expensively dressed person is in a position to pay for their products, but it's a fact of life.

Sounds like the PP people are over the top, though.
Old 27 September 2016, 12:13 AM   #22
Evad3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m/216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Vince,
Sorry to hear about lack of stock it is an issue at the moment.

As for PP that is a shame and the totally opposite to the treatment I got at the PP AD in Southampton the gentleman I dealt with there was great and to be fair one of the best AD experiences I've had (went not purchasing)

I'm off to Paris in November and trying to line up some PP and AP viewing while there.
Yup, Parkhouse in Southampton has always been amazing and very accommodating in my experience
Old 27 September 2016, 12:20 AM   #23
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post
Yup, Parkhouse in Southampton has always been amazing and very accommodating in my experience
Yep I dealt with Stewart there, just a shame as I didn't go ahead with my PP purchase but after my recent issue with another Rolex AD they will get that business.
Old 27 September 2016, 12:23 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

So did you put your name on the 5711 Blue list

Hate arrogant salespeople, it's fun to toy with them once they start their games though.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:27 AM   #25
RICHARD_LEWIS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Go for a day trip/weekend away to Stratford-on-Avon and visit George Pragnell on Wood Street. They have a good selection of Rolex, Patek, Tudor, Carter, etc; are very friendly and will treat you with courtesy and respect - I go in dressed in Dickies shorts, oversized t-shirt and a snapback and they treat me with the same respect as someone wearing a suit. Can't recommend them enough.
RICHARD_LEWIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 12:28 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well, you've got a great watch on...and you got to try on two of the best, IMO. So I'm chalking it up as a win.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 01:02 AM   #27
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Salespeople in all luxury lines tend to size up customers when they walk in the door. I don't go into a BMW or Porsche dealership in shorts and flip flops and expect to be taken seriously. I always wear my Rolex to a dealership, and dress somewhat appropriately.

I disagree with this.

I'm the customer! Why should I change my attire to give them MY money?

Whether I'm wearing flip flops or have just come straight from work and fully suited and booted it should make no difference.

Each customer should be given the same courtesy and level of service. I'm sure an experienced sales person could figure out pretty quickly whether someone is serious or a time waster by simply talking to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 01:24 AM   #28
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD_LEWIS View Post
Go for a day trip/weekend away to Stratford-on-Avon and visit George Pragnell on Wood Street. They have a good selection of Rolex, Patek, Tudor, Carter, etc; are very friendly and will treat you with courtesy and respect - I go in dressed in Dickies shorts, oversized t-shirt and a snapback and they treat me with the same respect as someone wearing a suit. Can't recommend them enough.

Ok...help out the guy in the Colonies...

What pray tell...is a "snapback?"
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 01:29 AM   #29
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Well, since the Platona impressed you so much, there is only one thing to do. Post pics once you buy it. Not that I would enable you or anything....buy it....buy it....buy it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.jpg (70.6 KB, 373 views)
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 01:50 AM   #30
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Im visiting London on Sat. Hoping to see some Patek Nautilus and Aquanauts however realise my only chance is from places like Watchclub / Watch centre etc if they have them.

May I ask where the Platona was??? I have seen one before but never tried (a customer was hogging it last time I was in a Florida AD and I got fed up waiting)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote