The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 October 2016, 01:26 PM   #1
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Question on lugs - 5513

From HQMilton, do they look overly polished?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...3+Meters+First

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 02:27 PM   #2
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
no, they look like what one would expect from an old sub that was worn as intended and previously serviced and polished. still plenty of meat on them and overall the watch looks like an honestly described survivor.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 02:50 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
From HQMilton, do they look overly polished?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...3+Meters+First

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
Yes they do.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 02:55 PM   #4
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I concur.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Yes....
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

the bezel and insert do not look original, correct eprhaps but look to have been replaced at some time along with the crown which is triple-lock and twin on the original
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 08:24 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Yes the look over polished IMO.

There also appears to be oil staining on the hands close to the Center post.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:08 PM   #8
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Brazen, don't be discouraged, the guys here are fair but VERY hard when they're grading vintage pieces! Half mine would be laughed at on this site, but if you're buying a watch to wear, you can overlook the occasional service part or overpolished lug. And we look at these watches under magnification on big hi-res monitors here, on the wrist, small imperfections fade away.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:24 PM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Definitely overpolished, but not unusual, as stated above. The problem I'd have is that the price doesn't reflect the case condition, IMHO. There are better examples out there for the money.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Pass for me. The lugs and crown guards are very soft.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 12:55 AM   #11
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

To me, a 5513 at this price should either be fairly strong in all elements or if it has some distinct weaknesses they should be counterbalanced by a few really strong elements. To me this watch doesn't quite cut it either way. It's okay, but at $10k? Perhaps I'm losing touch with the market. The same seller has this other 5513 at nearly $8k and its not very likeable IMO but he knows the market. http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1967...meters-first18
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 01:40 AM   #12
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all...I agree with the overall consensus...with prices climbing, this is about the most asthectically balanced example in the $10K range currently (IMO). This would definitely be worn regularly so I dont mind the slightly oil stained hands or factory replaced parts, and multiple polishing over the many years...if these were not present, it would be in the $13K range (at todays market rate, whether we like it or not).

The hang up for me is in the first picture, where it looks like the tip of the springbar is slightly protruding from the lower left and upper right lugs...that part bugs me the most. Maybe they are not centered, and have a little play to settle within the lugs, otherwise I think this is as good as it gets for $10K with a bracelet (from a trusted reseller).

I may have to resign myself to spending a bit more on a stronger case, but now we're talking in the red sub range...I didnt think the prices of 5513-M/1680-Rs will start to overlap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
no, they look like what one would expect from an old sub that was worn as intended and previously serviced and polished. still plenty of meat on them and overall the watch looks like an honestly described survivor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yes they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
I concur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
Yes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
the bezel and insert do not look original, correct eprhaps but look to have been replaced at some time along with the crown which is triple-lock and twin on the original
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes the look over polished IMO. There also appears to be oil staining on the hands close to the Center post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Brazen, don't be discouraged, the guys here are fair but VERY hard when they're grading vintage pieces! Half mine would be laughed at on this site, but if you're buying a watch to wear, you can overlook the occasional service part or overpolished lug. And we look at these watches under magnification on big hi-res monitors here, on the wrist, small imperfections fade away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Definitely overpolished, but not unusual, as stated above. The problem I'd have is that the price doesn't reflect the case condition, IMHO. There are better examples out there for the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Pass for me. The lugs and crown guards are very soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
To me, a 5513 at this price should either be fairly strong in all elements or if it has some distinct weaknesses they should be counterbalanced by a few really strong elements. To me this watch doesn't quite cut it either way. It's okay, but at $10k? Perhaps I'm losing touch with the market. The same seller has this other 5513 at nearly $8k and its not very likeable IMO but he knows the market. http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1967...meters-first18
Old 14 October 2016, 03:16 AM   #13
Brunik
"TRF" Member

Almost 50 years old... its normal that are not sharp IMO.

What would not be normal was to have a perfect
Brunik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 05:06 AM   #14
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Looks like possibly polished at service and by time - not bad - nice creamy, but not unpolished. Springbars can be an indicator but are not absolute.

Attached is a 67 Meters First, a little fatter, probably never polished other than by time and wear ;)

Not available for sale (well, yet ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
Insert is likely original or absolutely correct for that time period - bezel may be OK too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513-mf-2.jpg (79.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 67-mf-12a.jpg (104.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 14 October 2016, 07:02 AM   #15
subx
"TRF" Member

lugs worn polished or just worn, don't bother me for a 'driver' (as would be said for a collectible car)
dial and hands are very nice and very original, the oil spotting is very minimal
the besel Insert is an original and desirable insert but not for that year I believe
crown replaced ( probably during service) no biggy and revert-able
newer bracelet for me is the downer as it would cost nearly $2000 for a correct swiss 7206/80, bringing up the watch to $12K

overall nice early matt dial 5513, not a bad choice, depends what your threshold for details and perfection are
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 07:12 AM   #16
RGAmos
"TRF" Member

Not so much overly polished as poorly polished.
RGAmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 08:33 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
I may have to resign myself to spending a bit more on a stronger case, but now we're talking in the red sub range...I didnt think the prices of 5513-M/1680-Rs will start to overlap?
Yes, good plan, although you can still find stronger 5513s in the $10K range. And no, it's doubtful there will be an overlap in prices with red 1680s. Those are creeping into the high teens now for good examples. Good luck in your search.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 09:08 AM   #18
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@BrazenC5
"Overly polished" is going to mean different things to different people...that's why you're getting differing opinions. To me, "overly polished" is where the lugs are basically reflecting mirrors--the original brushed finish is obliterated and the chamfers are totally gone. I think Jacek's description is spot on: 1) it's been polished, and 2) it's been worn down naturally by everyday wear. imho The case is in acceptable condition.
Old 14 October 2016, 10:06 AM   #19
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
BTW - props to your avatar. Bone Flight
Old 14 October 2016, 10:57 AM   #20
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
BTW - props to your avatar. Bone Flight
Thanks!...former avionics tech on the B1B...Dyess AFB (91-95)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedial View Post
@BrazenC5
"Overly polished" is going to mean different things to different people...that's why you're getting differing opinions. To me, "overly polished" is where the lugs are basically reflecting mirrors--the original brushed finish is obliterated and the chamfers are totally gone. I think Jacek's description is spot on: 1) it's been polished, and 2) it's been worn down naturally by everyday wear. imho The case is in acceptable condition.
________
Instagram: @onthedial
I was mainly concerned about the spring bars that look to be protruding past the lower left and upper right lugs, my concern if they were over polished...I'll probably call Jacek tomorrow to confirm if they are just "off centered."