The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

ROO 20mm Deployant Clasp, a Rarity??

Hi everyone, AP photo dump for you!
At first glance you all may be thinking yea so what? An AP ROO with deployant clasp... nothing we haven't seen before. But wait... take a closer look. It's not the clasp you're thinking of... Normally offshores come with an 18mm deployant with Audemars Piguet written across the back of the buckle. Not my favorite and not very comfortable from what I've heard from many owners of it. One day I saw this on google images and was like WHAT, they make this?! This clasp looks exactly like my 20mm tang buckle but it's the deployant version! Then I came to the reality that finding one was damn near impossible lol the sales associate at the AP boutique didn't even know what I was talking about until I showed pictures. Anyhow after a loooooong wait, I finally have one and I'm super happy with it. And for anyone who is reluctant to get a deployant clasp for their Offshore due to it being uncomfortable, I've found a solution. I simply switched the strap ends and it sits under the wrist way more comfortably. Anyhow, I don't see this clasp very often at all... Have any of you seen or have this as well? If so, please share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8454.JPG (292.2 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8456.JPG (270.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8457.JPG (233.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8458.JPG (291.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8459.JPG (285.8 KB, 286 views)
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 12:59 PM   #2
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Got an item number or sku number? I'm interested
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 01:12 PM   #3
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

Contact AP Service Center in clearwater or any boutique. They sell them.
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 02:09 PM   #4
911AP
"TRF" Member

This is the old deployant clasp that everyone hates because it's uncomfortable as hell. They actually have a new one that doesn't have the stupid AP logo made out of it for the new 43mm.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 06:53 PM   #5
yoast
"TRF" Member

I'll stick to tang. ALL AP deployants are uncomfortable as hell.
Old 3 September 2021, 09:51 AM   #6
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

This is another interesting thread on a old subject. Yes, many folks hated the clasp. There is a clear reason for it. Other watch makers never had the same problem or had overcomed it. Yet, could AP either decided to ignore the problem, or maybe do not know to resolve it ?

my own experience is that the buckle where the AP logo is at ( not sure what is the name of this sub part) is centred to the centre of the bottom of the wrist, thus, the folding curved part to skewed towards the side of the wrist. Because of the curvature, it presses on the bones. Solution is quite simple. Shortened the strap where the buckle is attached and this will reposition the buckle to slightly off centre, and the curved part of the clasp will sit at the centre of the bottom of the wrist. This is generally how other did it for those clasp that are offset. Not sure it makes sense here. Not so good at describing without pix.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Beautiful design, however. Also it annoys me that the buckle is not centered.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:05 PM   #8
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
This is another interesting thread on a old subject. Yes, many folks hated the clasp. There is a clear reason for it. Other watch makers never had the same problem or had overcomed it. Yet, could AP either decided to ignore the problem, or maybe do not know to resolve it ?

my own experience is that the buckle where the AP logo is at ( not sure what is the name of this sub part) is centred to the centre of the bottom of the wrist, thus, the folding curved part to skewed towards the side of the wrist. Because of the curvature, it presses on the bones. Solution is quite simple. Shortened the strap where the buckle is attached and this will reposition the buckle to slightly off centre, and the curved part of the clasp will sit at the centre of the bottom of the wrist. This is generally how other did it for those clasp that are offset. Not sure it makes sense here. Not so good at describing without pix.
They made a new deployant clasp. It doesn't have the logo anymore. A member posted here about it on another thread.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 06:58 PM   #9
Xerxes77
Banned

Real good this deployment
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 12:30 AM   #10
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Got an item number or sku number? I'm interested
Unfortunately I don’t off hand, I’ll have to try n dig up my invoice receipt but I believe it just had a description not a sku #. When searching I made sure to use “20mm” because all the older models had an 18mm clasp.
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote