The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
An open letter. (Very Long!!)

How did you get past?????

the Rolex stigma? I ask this question because I think I have had my very last straw with it. That is why I shyed away from the standard watches, because of the other people that wear them.

In my club, I would say most, like 85-90% of the under 40 crowd wear sport Rollies, the older wear almost exclusive DD,DJ's. I am not joking when I say I see one on one out of every 5 or 6 people. This is just a bit too much for me.

The young guys that wear them are totally ignorant too, they just know, and want others to know that they have a Rolex. It makes me shy to want to be associated with these people as having the same watch for two reasons. One is that they assume it is a sign of tons of money and two they think it makes them something for having it. I don't have 'tons' of money, though we do really well and I don't want/need any of that type of attention from my members.

I have fought hard back and forth with this one (obviously, it is 4 AM here, LOL) , but what I feel is better judgement has won out. I do not have the kind of money to have a great watch like this and not wear it, so it is gonna be listed this week.

I talked to Andie about this, she glazed over in the eyes. :-) But did say that if I could replace the watch later in life, why not get a watch now that I won't have any hesitations with. I thought that was sound advice. Although, we are redoing our floors in our house before the baby is born, so I think the money will be much better spent there.

Sorry for the ramblings Bruce, just sharing where I am coming from, please excuse any spelling errors, I am going back to bed. :-)

(I have actually decided to turn this into a post on TRF, so don't be surprised to see it on there, LOL! I decided after proof reading it back to myself.)

Cheers Pal,

These are/were some thoughts at 4 in the morning, but have been well thought out. I just don't get it, if I have to ask I...... The Rolex thing is almost totally lost on me. Although the trusty YM is on the wrist as I type baby.

I don't know if it is an age thing for me, or a not wanting to show the members how well I am doing thing, don't know.

But anyways TRFites, I will be taking some time off of here and all the net hangouts for awhile. We are doing some things with the house, Andie needs me more and so does Dylan. I will still stop by daily, so don't get to comfy goldpants. Hopefully after a couple of weeks tops I will be back on regular, until then, I will certainly lurk and say hello once a day.

I really am going back to bed now.

You are all great friends!

Daren

PS. Roger call me tomorrow if you get a free second please. Did you ever get my message the other day?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2006, 08:56 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Good luck with the house Daren,get the important things done in life first mate.Hope little Dylan is keeping well,will keep a watchful eye on goldmember.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2006, 09:02 PM   #3
President Rolex
Banned

I am up late as well. Let me ask you something: is this a country club you refer to?

Look, Don't sell anything yet. If you like the watch, and you must to have bought it, keep it. What do you care what other people think?

I live in a private club here in the desert, and understand what you mean by the under 40 crowd that think they are something, the older people are usually a little better. Just remember something, the kind of person you are talking about is probally in debt to no end and they want everyone to think they are a big deal. You sound like a decent guy and don't let them get to you that way.

I grew up in Beverly Hills and have always been around people with money.
the one thing you can never buy regardless of how much money you have is class. Old money has class, newer money can but, most do not.

I have done very well in my business and am proud of it but I Don't show off or act like the new money people. They are arrorgant fools.

Don't sell it yet, you like it, keep it enjoy it.

I am young and do not like to dress up and recently I had a snob look down on me and it got me a little upset and they my wife reminded me that he is just a jerk. The funny thing is that if this man had any idea who my clients are he would choke. I have worked for some of the biggest people in the world including the past seven president's of the United States.

So, don't let them get to you.

Hope this helps

Best,

The President

Last edited by President Rolex; 5 February 2006 at 09:04 PM..
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I think we all go through this Daren, in fact I have just done the same thing with my Panerai. It's probably the peaks and troughs of life. My next step is to sell my Kawasaki and take up less dangerous pursuits. We do tend to spend a lot of time on forums etc. when our other halves need attention so the break will be good for both of you.

Good luck and call in when you can.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2006, 11:59 PM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hey Daren. I guess this must be bothering you to post it at 4am. I know the type of people that you speak of. The older ones don't bother me. It's the under 40 crowd that irks the sh*t outta me. They think who the hell they are just cuz they make six figures a year and wear a TT DJ. It's when I see people like this that I too am embarrased. Thing about it is 95% of them don't know jack sh*t about them other than the fact that they think it's a status symbol.
I never flash or show off my watch. I've also heard the comments like "That's a fake, no way a mailman can afford a Rolex." Or "Must be nice, we know who's got the money. Couldn't you have found something else to spend the money on?" These tools have no idea. Yeah I'm a mailman but just cuz I don't make a ton of money, who's to say I can't buy what I want as long as it doesn't hurt my household? Let's face it, most of us probably have spent the money elsewhere, it's just what we choose to do with it.

Daren, good choice on the floors. You know where your priorties lie.
Old 6 February 2006, 12:50 AM   #6
Rackness
"TRF" Member

rules to live by F*ck'em.

j/k well sort of. you have to stay true to yourself. do what you want and what is important to you and your family and everyone else be damned. no matter what you do or where you go there are assholes unfortunatly we all have to tolerate them but we do not have to change who or what we are to suit them. i have had people literally get mad i mean really mad at me over MY watch and verbally assault me due to the type of watch i wear. it sounds crazy but people are nuts. so what i am saying is don't do something you may regret over some yuppie douche bags. it just sounds like you may need to change your social group not your watch.

no matter what you decide i wish you the best and i hope everything works out.

all the best,
Jason
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 01:25 AM   #7
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Daren,

I only really know you by your posts, but you seem like a really great stand up guy. Don't let others pull you down with their snobish attitudes..

I would agree, maybe wait a bit before selling anything. A Rolex will be worth just as much in a month, maybe even more. But buying a watch back can be a pain.

With that said, other guys will buy a Rolex or whatever for stupid reasons. But DON'T let that take away from your enjoyment of the watch brand. Just because they are stuck up does not mean you are. Kind of reminds me of one scene from the movie Finding Forrester on BMW.

Sorry kind of a long read, but if you have seen the movie, that is how I think most people see Rolex, just a symbol.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You look worried, like I'll do something to your car.
Made this one engine before. It flew six miles up. Popp and his boys were just getting started. They made this one engine, the World War II, cylinders.. ..horsepower, seven miles up. With more time, they'd have bombed
the sh!t out of England...maybe even won the war.

That's where this comes from. (pointing to the BMW symbol) White propeller zipping around a blue sky. After the war, we told them they couldn't make plane engines. That's when BMW gave some serious thought to making cars. Kind of like this one. You probably knew all that, seeing as you lease one.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 04:12 AM   #8
MiamiRolex

Interesting post.. For a while I actually thought about going with another watch just because I didnt want to be associated with the bling bling look at me crowd... Ever since I got my watch I have run into tons of people with fake Rolex watches who obviously are into that garbage.... I ended up buying my DJ because it is the watch that I wanted since I was 12 years old and like someone said above I thought "fuck them".. I dont regret my purchase one bit!!!

I dont show off my watch .The other day I was talking with a co-worker about Rolex watches and he didnt notice nor did I mention that I was wearing a Rolex at the time.... In other words, keep your watch. If you like your watch and appreciate it then thats all that should matter....

Last edited by MiamiRolex; 6 February 2006 at 06:42 AM..
MiamiRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 04:17 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Daren,

Looks like our friends have just about covered it all. Take a deep breath and THINK, my friend. Never mind all those snobs out there. You just do whatever makes you happy. But once again, I advise you to breathe deep and THINK. Don't be irrational in your actions NOW, so you regret them LATER.

The YM is a superb watch, one which will be difficult to afford back brand new. Your Panny too is a keeper. Perhaps you are better off as a two-watch person like I was?

The decision is yours, but just don't be too hasty in making it. Good luck on your time off and on the house renovations. Say Hi to Andie and a big hug and kiss to little Dylan from his Uncle JJ.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 04:31 AM   #10
HUMMERNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Rolex

I live in a private club here in the desert,
The President
To go off topic a touch, where in the desert do you live? We sold our place at PGA West and have a place up above Big Horn, up Highway 74.

Last edited by HUMMERNut; 6 February 2006 at 04:31 AM..
HUMMERNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 04:35 AM   #11
HUMMERNut

now back on topic......what everyone has said is true...DO NOT let others ruin it for you. I'm young too, 21 to be exact, but like you I have worked hard for what I have. Growing up I was surrounded by snobs, and as you know in Latin snob came from Sine Nobilitare (sp) which means without nobility. (whew, I knew taking latin my freshman year of HS woudl finally pay off ) Just think about that my friend, and good luck in whatever you decide!
HUMMERNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 05:22 AM   #12
Tom

Daren,

I totally hear you, but like the others said, don't sell your watch, and think about it first. Money is money, and it will come and go, but a beautiful watch, and watch that you earned and bought, made a choice on, and are happy with, cannot come and go as you please. Yes, your family, your home, should always come first. But sometimes, it's small things in life that can either bring you up and down, it affects your happiness and your life. It's a no-brainer somtimes, youhave to give yourself a break, and soemtimes it can be a watch.

Yes, there are those snobs out there, they do have thier own ideas, and if you look at society today, TV, news, popularity in certain things, people don't see the true value of the tings they have. All they see is dollar signs. I just bought a watch magazine last night, and out of 250 pages, it had one Rolex ad. Now that tells me something. Rolex doesn't need to advertise, they know, that it is the finest watch with a rich history behind it. Everyone knows it. Those snobs can be in debt the rst of thier lives, but do you think that they actually care for thier watch? They buy it to show off, and then there is probably a very good chance that they will crack the crystal. They don't see the timeless beauty in it, more that it is a piece of jewelry to show off.

I hope you choose to keep your watch, and hope you do stop by too. These are a great bunch of guys, and it's only been a couple of weeks since I have been a member, but I've learned a lot about everyone. Your family and home are important, but it's the small things in life that can make us or break us.

Good luck
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 05:27 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Good post, Tom!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 6 February 2006, 05:37 AM   #14
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Good post, Tom!!

I was petting your sheep while writing it.....
Old 6 February 2006, 05:38 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I was petting your sheep while writing it.....
...in that case, you must have THREE hands!!

Old 6 February 2006, 05:38 AM   #16
----

Hey Daren,

Of course it's your watch and your money, so do what you feel is right, regardless of what I or anyone else on this forum might say. Putting the money to another good use is certainly a good thing to do.

My own personal feelings on Rolex are very mixed as you know. I would rather have a watch that no one really recognizes than the Rolex, and that is why I've tried to sell mine. Rolex makes a very simple, rugged watch, but other than that it's nothing special. There are other watches out there that do the job as well. The "history" that everyone talks about is not terribly important to me, and the company is more marketing than anything - I do admire them for their ability to make a watch so sought after.

All MHO but in the end it's "just a watch."
Old 6 February 2006, 05:45 AM   #17
Tom

Quote:
...in that case, you must have THREE hands!!
I was using my feet!
Old 6 February 2006, 06:00 AM   #18
Tom

Isn't she cute...Sheep.jpg
Old 6 February 2006, 06:13 AM   #19
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I think we've all been there at one time or another.
Out of my friends and family ( the people whose opinions count) know I have a Rolex & worked hard for it.
The main reason I bought mine was not to "show off", I just liked the watch.
Most of my clients don't care about my watches either.
The only time I really was "down" about something I owned was with one car I owned.
I should not have let it get to me, but It did. I guess a car is more "out there, in your face" than a watch.
Here are a couple of examples of what ticked me off:
1 - Clients saying ( and more than once) " I guess I'm paying for you car. Is that why your fees are $XXX?"
2 - One "friend" I had. I had season tickets to hockey & basketball. My wife rarely went, so I took buddies to most games. My only rule was "I'll supply the ticket, the ride to the game, You can buy the dinner ( usually hotdog/pizza or burger) and the beer (maybe 2). So, right after I get this car, I pick up this guy, he gets in and says " So I guess if you can afford this car, your buying dinner tonight!" AND he never even offered to buy a beer.
Am I ranting, Maybe.
I will probably never by a car like that again. Had I kept it, might be a differnt story.
So Daren, don't make a hasty decision, You bought your watch for a reason. Remember that reason.
Good post my friend.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 06:20 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Let's see a picture of your car, John!!

Old 6 February 2006, 06:37 AM   #21
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Let's see a picture of your car, John!!
Yeah, let's see that pimpmobile
Old 6 February 2006, 06:49 AM   #22
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I'm looking, I don't think I have a digi pic of it.
It wasn't a super car or anything. Just a nice car.

Member # 293
Old 6 February 2006, 06:59 AM   #23
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hmm, sounds like Daren's describing the classic case of, "That watch ain't cheap, but, damn, the guy wearing it sure is", or in more academic terms, Max Weber's distinction between class and status.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that modern democracy has created a situation where one simply has to have money to acquire social standing, and can (in their own minds at least) quite happily dispense with breeding and sense.

God knows that as a student, it used to chafe my buns when I'd see overseas students who bought brand-new BMWs within a week of arriving in Melbourne, and then going about like they own the world. In the first case, it was Daddy's money and not theirs that was used to buy the car, and Daddy didn't get that money by anything more complicated than smuggling cloves under Indonesia's tax radar and paying the customs lads 100 rupiahs each to look the other way. How very impressive.

And then Junior goes and places the entire cast of South Park on said Beemer's dashboard, and drives it in a way that makes the Daihatsu in the next lane look like a McLaren.

There you have it, folks - you don't even have to be aware of an evolutionary ladder, much less your obligation to climb it. Get yourself a bit of dosh and you're king sh*t.

Ultimately, the only sensible response to such individuals, the filter basket in the gene pool as it were, is to shrug one's shoulder's philosophically and be content with being one's own compass. As enthusiasts, our owning Rolexes is an entirely different proposition from that of your garden-variety clodhopper with a Texas Timex (or Singapore Seiko, or Jakarta JLC or what-not), and that's our own little private joke on the world.
Old 6 February 2006, 07:00 AM   #24
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Snooty Peeps

Funny thing - the older I get (I'm 37 now) the less genuine people become.

Maybe it's the realization that one has less and less years as they get older to acheive what they "think" they should before they pass on..... in any case I run across many anxious/hyper/obsessive people who constantly watch what OTHER people have and do.

I try to worry about what I'm doing versus what everyone else is doing.

If I like a certain car, pants, watch, beer I save up and buy it. It's for me period.

I never took a 2nd look at a rollie until i noticed my bosses TT Sub with certi dial. That was 2 yrs ago, and it "stuck" in my head as a sweet pc.

My 1st rollie was a SD..... and now I'm hooked.

The history behind the SD (subsea construction), the beauty, craftsmanship, etc.... makes it all that much nicer for me! I just love how it feels on my wrist. Plus I got my SD after a tough year of long long hours of hard work in a risky venture. It's more than a watch for me, it represents an era of my life where I took some risk and was rewarded.

If I want something to get attention I'll stick a cucumber in my shorts

Bottom line - Don't worry about other people. Do what makes you happy. There will always be someone out there with more money, cars, women, bling etc....

Do it for yourself :)

Regarding bling and debt...... that's a personal lifestyle choice. Some people like to pay interest..... and some people don't :) It's not a hard calculation to see who will retire first :)

Cheers to ya!
betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 07:01 AM   #25
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Plain and simple: Who F@#$ing cares what others wear or what they might think.

It is exactly the same with cars, I happen to own a Silver 528i as well I am an a$$hole idiot driver that thinks too highly of himself automoatically everytime it comes out of the garage right? Whatever! I like what I buy because I like it, I dont need to explain myself to anyone. I don't care what others think because they didnt work to pay for my stuff.

Come on Daren, the bezel is on its way!
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 07:14 AM   #26
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Whhoooooo ra!

"Plain and simple: Who F@#$ing cares what others wear or what they might think. "

Here here!

If I have the fortune of owning several rollies more power to me! HA!

Wish list:
18K Sub.... YUM!
Pepsi GMT
Plat YM

Argh..... it's an addiction!

Old 6 February 2006, 07:20 AM   #27
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Seems like we have a bunch of good guys hanging around this forum.
I LIKE IT!!!
Not too many judgements made.
We feel good for members, new & old, when they get their first or next watch.
I bet those Rollie wearers Daren is talking about have no intention of visiting us her. There loss.
To all our members
and , keep the good times rolling..

Member # 293
Old 6 February 2006, 10:35 AM   #28
betrezra
"TRF" Member

The beauty of this forum....

IMHO - the beauty of this forum is everyone can share their passion for these fine watches ..... REGARDLESS of socio-economic status, political affiliation, color, origin, locale, age, etc.....

I enjoy rubbing elbows with you guys :)

Not an ounce of pretention in this forum and I love it!

Old 6 February 2006, 10:54 AM   #29
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra
IMHO - the beauty of this forum is everyone can share their passion for these fine watches ..... REGARDLESS of socio-economic status, political affiliation, color, origin, locale, age, etc.....

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 12:44 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra

Would you like to run your palm over my bald head too!!