The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Normally a Rolex guy but this spoke to me.. Pluses and minuses?

Hi Everyone,

As the title and my signature suggests, I am normally a more strict Rolex enthusiast. I find beauty in other brands for sure, but generally my tastes lean towards Rolex exclusively. While at my AD today, with whom I’m friends and have known forever, he shows me the PP Pilot Time Travel in rose gold. It’s hard to describe the feeling I had when I tried on this reference. Very few if any watches have spoken to me the way this piece did. The size, color, complications, how it sits on the wrist; it was all very surreal.

So, my questions to you PP experts are this:

1. Is this reference a solid first Patek?
2. Is this a wise spend of $54k?
3. Any other reference I should look at that could compete?
4. Does this reference hold its value relatively well? I don’t view watches as investments but I am concerned about resale should that be a situation.

Thank you very much in advance for your expertise.

JB
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
You might want to check out this thread.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694745
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:36 PM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

I'll play...

1. Lots on here will probably consider a 5164R a solid first Patek. For me personally there is no such thing, only Pateks I like and other Pateks I don't like.

2. Only you can know if a 5164R is worth 54k to you given your situation and alternative uses for the money. Most people wouldn't consider spending 54k on a watch wise in general. The ability to get most of your money back at this point (or a little more, see 4.) may alleviate the concern.

3. If you like the travel time complication you may also want to check 5524R and G which are easy to get and trade at a discount preowned. The 5164A comes to mind as well. Lower MSRP but harder to get from the AD than 5164R and a little more robust. Any Aquanaut will be a scratch magnet, and if you don't baby a 5164R the bezel will show quickly - some people don't mind, others sold theirs for that reason. There are loads of other references, some easy to get (many dress watches), others nearly impossible to get from the AD (steel sports watches).

4. Yes, well enough. Check asking prices on Chrono24 and take some haircut to get an idea for what you could easily sell it tomorrow.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'll play...

1. Lots on here will probably consider a 5164R a solid first Patek. For me personally there is no such thing, only Pateks I like and other Pateks I don't like.

2. Only you can know if a 5164R is worth 54k to you given your situation and alternative uses for those 54k. Most people wouldn't consider spending 54k on a watch wise in general. The ability to get most of your money back at this point (or a little more, see 4.) may alleviate the concern.

3. If you like the travel time complication you may also want to check 5524R and G which are easy to get and trade at a discount preowned. The 5164A comes to mind as well. Lower MSRP but harder to get from the AD than 5164R and a little more robust. Any Aquanaut will be a scratch magnet, and if you don't baby a 5164R the bezel will show quickly - some people don't mind, others sold theirs for that reason. There are loads of other references, some easy to get (many dress watches), others next to impossible to get from the AD (most steel sports watches).

4. Yes, well enough. Check asking prices on Chrono24 and take some haircut to get an idea for what you could easily sell it tomorrow.
Was he not referring to the 5524R?
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:51 PM   #5
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll play...

2. Only you can know if a 5164R is worth 54k to you given your situation and alternative uses for the money. Most people wouldn't consider spending 54k on a watch wise in general. The ability to get most of your money back at this point (or a little more, see 4.) may alleviate the concern.

3. If you like the travel time complication you may also want to check 5524R and G which are easy to get and trade at a discount preowned. The 5164A comes to mind as well. Lower MSRP but harder to get from the AD than 5164R and a little more robust. Any Aquanaut will be a scratch magnet, and if you don't baby a 5164R the bezel will show quickly - some people don't mind, others sold theirs for that reason. There are loads of other references, some easy to get (many dress watches), others nearly impossible to get from the AD (steel sports watches).

OP has mentioned PP Pilot travel time so he must refer to 5524R
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:53 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Was he not referring to the 5524R?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
OP has mentioned PP Pilot travel time so he must refer to 5524R
Seems like I still need to wake up...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:58 PM   #7
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Hi Everyone,

As the title and my signature suggests, I am normally a more strict Rolex enthusiast. I find beauty in other brands for sure, but generally my tastes lean towards Rolex exclusively. While at my AD today, with whom I’m friends and have known forever, he shows me the PP Pilot Time Travel in rose gold. It’s hard to describe the feeling I had when I tried on this reference. Very few if any watches have spoken to me the way this piece did. The size, color, complications, how it sits on the wrist; it was all very surreal.

So, my questions to you PP experts are this:

1. Is this reference a solid first Patek?
2. Is this a wise spend of $54k?
3. Any other reference I should look at that could compete?
4. Does this reference hold its value relatively well? I don’t view watches as investments but I am concerned about resale should that be a situation.

Thank you very much in advance for your expertise.

JB
1 5524R or 5524G is a solid first Patek even tough some suggest it lacks 'Patek DNA'
2. 5524R is not a wise spend of $54K
3. If you like travel time complication you may want to look at 5164R, similar price range and a beautiful watch.
4. 5524R does not hold value, you will loose money if you decide to sell even if you get a healthy discount. 5164R retains value very well and it is not incredibly hard to get one. Other travel time complication is 5990/1A but that watch is very hard to get at the moment.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:26 AM   #8
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
You might want to check out this thread.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694745
Thank you, very interesting.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 22 February 2021, 12:28 AM   #9
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
1 5524R or 5524G is a solid first Patek even tough some suggest it lacks 'Patek DNA'
2. 5524R is not a wise spend of $54K
3. If you like travel time complication you may want to look at 5164R, similar price range and a beautiful watch.
4. 5524R does not hold value, you will loose money if you decide to sell even if you get a healthy discount. 5164R retains value very well and it is not incredibly hard to get one. Other travel time complication is 5990/1A but that watch is very hard to get at the moment.
Thank you very much for this feedback!
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 22 February 2021, 01:08 AM   #10
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll play...

Thank you very much for the feedback. It appears as though most Patek’s hold their value according to Chrono 24, and some due diligence.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 22 February 2021, 02:07 AM   #11
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Thank you very much for the feedback. It appears as though most Patek’s hold their value according to Chrono 24, and some due diligence.
I suggest you buy a watch you like, can afford and forget the “investment’ angle. Very few watches turn out to be good long term investments. They are pieces of personal jewellery. I always buy new knowing full well that I can probably go Chrono24 for a discount unless it’s a rare piece. But I buy watches for me and not to sell. Playing the grey market is not for amateurs.

Patek have a range of different watches and enthusiasts have their own favourites so the subjective element in any comments cannot be underestimated.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:29 AM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I suggest you buy a watch you like, can afford and forget the “investment’ angle. Very few watches turn out to be good long term investments. They are pieces of personal jewellery. I always buy new knowing full well that I can probably go Chrono24 for a discount unless it’s a rare piece. But I buy watches for me and not to sell. Playing the grey market is not for amateurs.

Patek have a range of different watches and enthusiasts have their own favourites so the subjective element in any comments cannot be underestimated.
Completely agreed.
This investment angle only happened in the past few years. And it is ruining the fun of watch collecting. Buy what you like and wear them and in the long term, things will likely work out. I bought a Seadweller 20 years ago when no one wanted it for $2000 after some hefty discount. Wearing it like it is meant to be and now just found out it is worth a few times more. But do I plan to sell it? No, so it is all a paper gain and I am still enjoying it like 20 years ago

Buying a watch thinking of selling it is like getting into a marriage but plan for a divorce at the same time.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 03:49 AM   #13
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Its a Patek. It's like saying I'm a Mercedes guy but drove a Rolls Royce and liked it a lot, should I buy one? Only you know your financial situation and if buying a Patek for 50K makes sense to you do it. Watches are supposed to have an intrinsic value to you, the history, the craftsmanship, etc. If it dropped to half its value tomorrow would it diminish the pleasure it brings you? If so don't buy them.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:37 AM   #14
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the feedback.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 22 February 2021, 06:57 AM   #15
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
the 5524 pilot is beautiful watch for sure. and i think it is more popular than people think or give it credit for. it is a cross between dress and sporty.
the size and te way it sits on the wrist is ideal.
sure if you buy it now and try to resell it (while its still in production and its not a nutilus) then you might lose some money. but generally speaking over longer period of time, Patek Philippe watches retain value.
Old 22 February 2021, 07:08 AM   #16
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
the 5524 pilot is beautiful watch for sure. and i think it is more popular than people think or give it credit for. it is a cross between dress and sporty.
the size and te way it sits on the wrist is ideal.
sure if you buy it now and try to resell it (while its still in production and its not a nutilus) then you might lose some money. but generally speaking over longer period of time, Patek Philippe watches retain value.
Thank you for the very thoughtful response sir. Well received.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good