The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2021, 02:38 AM   #1
logo
"TRF" Member

Incoming Discontinued Speedmaster Pro Hesalite

Hi All,

I have been fortunate enough to secure a new speedmaster pro in hesalite with the discontinued 1861 movement.

My timing was a bit off - I’ve been interested in the moonwatch for years and years, but it wasn’t until late 2020 that I set my sights on getting one, at which point the news about a new version had already surfaced. That made finding one tough, and all hope for a discount basically gone. Finding it in hesalite was not easy - called several ADs across the country to find one with no success. Eventually though, my own AD who happens to be a major AD in a big city was able to source one last one directly from Omega. No discount of course, but with the new version costing 25% more than the old, I’m more than happy to pay the old MSRP.

I like the new version. The bracelet is nice, though so is the old one and I do like the chunkier squared look of the old. The step dial is great on the new, and of course the movement on the new has some additional great features. Though, the old does have a long history as a clear descendent of the 861 which was aboard Apollo 17 and used since in some variation for shuttle and SpaceX missions, so not too worried about it’s functionality. The old also has the fantastic collectors case with the extra straps, the booklet etc. But what really sealed the deal for me after seeing both the old and new was simple: only one of the two has been to space, and the case back has the original text which I preferred given it is a moonwatch after all.

If the new one goes to the Moon or Mars, I’ll add that down the line. But for now I am thrilled to own a little piece of history on my wrist.

Photos to come soon!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 03:29 AM   #2
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats!
This thread deserves more photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 03:52 AM   #3
dberdichevsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: utalkinbout
Congrats! Let’s see those photos
dberdichevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 04:47 AM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 04:59 AM   #5
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Congratulations, wear it in good health.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations and yes please post pictures when you receive it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:27 PM   #7
logo
"TRF" Member

As promised, some incoming photos! It’s a real sight for the eyes :)

For those considering the 1861 vs the 3861, a few things I particularly like about this:

- the dial is a bit flatter than the 3861, but still has a slight step in the subdials for detail. Extremely legible dial.

- the bracelet is a bit thicker at the clasp, but I actual quite like the style of it. It goes well with the watch, without looking too busy. I prefer the look of this clasp to the 3861 (not crazy about the lines on it).

- of course for me, the best part is the 1861 movement itself. Minimally changed since 1968, some call it out of date while I call it true to its roots with proven reliability. The main difference between the 861 and 1861 is just the materials used, but the movement is designed basically the same. I love that it’s as close to a vintage watch as possible that you can buy brand new.

- the case back text is true to the original iterations, with the 861 movement being tested by NASA themselves (rather than omega).

Overall, I love it!

Old 15 January 2021, 03:54 PM   #8
David5807
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I just got one of these myself and love it.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:58 PM   #9
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Congrats I have one in my collection as well
Old 15 January 2021, 04:07 PM   #10
alllexandru

This watch will never get out of style such a classic
Now you need some straps to play with it and highly recommend also the Onega nato straps expensive but well worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:08 PM   #11
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Congratulations!
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:25 PM   #12
tonif
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.
tonif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:32 PM   #13
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:53 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Looks great.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:13 PM   #15
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Looking good. A true classic!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:18 PM   #16
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Great photos... I'm in the same boat, I've always wanted a Speedmaster, but have never made it a priority, never in any rush... But news of the new 3861 has me rethinking that priority. It was the fully brushed bracelet that really caught my attention.

But... Thanks to you, logo, I'm now on the fence for the 3861 vs the 1861, and now leaning heavily towards to 1861...and it boils down to the legibility of the dial. You are right, there is something about the older dial that seems more legible to me after seeing them both side by side (in photos)...

Other justifications for the older reference... well the price. $1000 less is $1000 in my pocket towards the Explorer that I am waiting for (seemingly forever now). And I know it sounds minor, but the inclusion of the Omega NATO with the older reference is a big plus, especially since I am not a fan of the bracelet on this reference , though I think it can grow on me, it's just I do not like the bulky clasp... The 3186 is the first Speedmaster where i like the looks of the bracelet. Seeing it in person may change that if the taper is too dainty. I can't tell. I like a good taper, but that may be extreme.

Either way, I'm on the fence, leaning towards the 1861. One way to look at it, is the 1861s new from an AD are going to be harder to come by, where the 3861s will be plenty eventually. If I decide the 3861 is more to my liking, I have years to make that change I am sure.

Anyway...
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:12 PM   #17
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Congrats. I did the same thing and picked up my Pro Hesalite 1861 one week before it was officially discontinued. Could not be happier with my purchase for all the reasons you mentioned. I finally purchased mine directly from Omega since I also could not source it from any AD.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:45 PM   #18
cts
"TRF" Member

I did the same thing but purchased the 1863 on leather. She is an absolute beauty!!!
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:21 AM   #19
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Great photos... I'm in the same boat, I've always wanted a Speedmaster, but have never made it a priority, never in any rush... But news of the new 3861 has me rethinking that priority. It was the fully brushed bracelet that really caught my attention.

But... Thanks to you, logo, I'm now on the fence for the 3861 vs the 1861, and now leaning heavily towards to 1861...and it boils down to the legibility of the dial. You are right, there is something about the older dial that seems more legible to me after seeing them both side by side (in photos)...

Other justifications for the older reference... well the price. $1000 less is $1000 in my pocket towards the Explorer that I am waiting for (seemingly forever now). And I know it sounds minor, but the inclusion of the Omega NATO with the older reference is a big plus, especially since I am not a fan of the bracelet on this reference , though I think it can grow on me, it's just I do not like the bulky clasp... The 3186 is the first Speedmaster where i like the looks of the bracelet. Seeing it in person may change that if the taper is too dainty. I can't tell. I like a good taper, but that may be extreme.

Either way, I'm on the fence, leaning towards the 1861. One way to look at it, is the 1861s new from an AD are going to be harder to come by, where the 3861s will be plenty eventually. If I decide the 3861 is more to my liking, I have years to make that change I am sure.

Anyway...
My apologies for raising the dial issue, I know all too well the torment that comes with a Watch decision lol. But as an outsider, it seems to me like there’s plenty you value about the 1861. Like you, I also like the fact it comes with the NATO and astronaut straps. If you wear it on a NATO most of the time, the bracelet design might be inconsequential especially since alternatives can be sourced down the road. I can’t recommend the 1861 enough - since they are discontinued and aren’t easy to find at an AD, I’d suggest considering acquiring it, trying the NATO and bracelet, and if it doesn’t suit you’re tastes I imagine selling the 1861 at cost will be no trouble at all, at which point you could get the 3861.

No wrong decision between the two of course, but finding the 1861 at an AD will only get harder.

Best wishes on your decision!
Old 16 January 2021, 12:22 AM   #20
logo
"TRF" Member

Thank you all, and congratulations to the other members posting here who have recently acquired the 1861 as well!!
Old 16 January 2021, 01:46 AM   #21
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch. Congrats! I have the exact same version and love it. If I were in your shoes, I too would have gone with the 1861 over the new model. The increase in price doesn’t jibe with the improvements.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #22
Cassidy776
Banned

Congrats!!! Picked mine up yesterday at a very nice 20% discount ($4200). Originally went in with the idea of picking up the new 3861 Hesalite but realized almost immediately that I can wait a year or so for the 3861,when discounts will be the norm as this new model will be the standard moonwatch production for years to come. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the outgoing model!!!
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:28 AM   #23
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
Congrats!!! Picked mine up yesterday at a very nice 20% discount ($4200). Originally went in with the idea of picking up the new 3861 Hesalite but realized almost immediately that I can wait a year or so for the 3861,when discounts will be the norm as this new model will be the standard moonwatch production for years to come. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the outgoing model!!!
Nicely done, that’s a great discount. I must have spoken to 8 different ADs and none could do a discount on any discontinued models, and none had the hesalite version available (until my primary AD sourced one for me). I was in getting the bracelet adjusted today at a different location, and overheard the SAs on the phone with customers - apparently they have quite the waiting list for the discontinued hesalite and zero discount (and they’re not even sure if they’ll receive more). There’s a waiting list for the 3861 version as well.
Old 16 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #24
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Nicely done, that’s a great discount. I must have spoken to 8 different ADs and none could do a discount on any discontinued models, and none had the hesalite version available (until my primary AD sourced one for me). I was in getting the bracelet adjusted today at a different location, and overheard the SAs on the phone with customers - apparently they have quite the waiting list for the discontinued hesalite and zero discount (and they’re not even sure if they’ll receive more). There’s a waiting list for the 3861 version as well.
So interesting to observe the difference in how ADs conduct their business in different parts of the country. Out here, in SoCal, virtually every AD I've spoken with, has anywhere from a 17%-20% discount.
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #25
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Two days ago my sales associate offered 10% on the 1861/3 without me pressing and I asked about the new 3861...same she said 10%.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 08:08 AM   #26
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Congrats! Great decision with the 1861 Hesalite
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:03 PM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Good going, nice choice indeed.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote