The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 08:00 AM   #1
harrisonkris66
"TRF" Member

Seamaster time keeping

Hi just brought a smp300 in black. I set the watch to my phone so i can keep track of its time keeping. I noticed the the first 24 hours it was 2 seconds slow then the following day it was back to to perfect. (The time on my phone changed when the second hand on the watch hit 12 how i set it 48hours previous). Tonight i chieck it out and it was 6 seconds fast but 5 minuets lat it was only 3 seconds fast. How does this work? Do your omegas perform the same my sub gains 8 secs a day and never changes.
harrisonkris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:11 AM   #2
greeneyedguy
Banned

From what I know about mechanical watches which is novice at best, the movement's positional relationship to gravity could have an effect the precision of timekeeping. This is why the tourbillion was invented.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:35 AM   #3
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
It’s a mechanical object with more than a few outside forces acting on it. There’s no definite answer to why a particular watch many gain 2 seconds one minute than loose 3 seconds the next. The kind of gains/loses your talking about are inconsequential for mechanical watch.
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:31 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
You might do better to use a proper, electronic watchmaker's instrument to evaluate its performance, especially if you're concerned something is amiss. I'm not suggesting you purchase one, but if you know someone who has one then using it would resolve the matter quickly.
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote