The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2020, 05:52 AM   #1
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster 321 Reissue: What would you do?

Now this is strictly hypothetical...

Question:

Let's say you get a call from your local Omega AD. They say you have a chance at being on the list for the new Speedmaster 321 Ed White. However, you have to pay 100% up front.
There's no exact time that you will received the watch, but you will at some point and should be this year and delivery to the US starts next month is what you are told.
You happen to be a speedmaster fan. You've also been looking for a regular speedmaster, like the moonwatch professional sapphire sandwich but haven't pulled the trigger only to get this message from the AD during the hunt. You have til monday to pay for your spot or it goes to someone else.

Now.... what allllllll that said... what would YOU do in this situation?

A) Pay and get one immediately!
B) Pass (for whatever reason)
C) Just go for the sapphire sandwich
D) Don't get anything, save that money!
E) None of the above and your own answer

thanks Omega fans! and HAGWE!!!

*one more thing... you do collect watches... have for many years and truth be told you've never sold one watch ever... you're not a flipper, just a lover of watches. Not to say you'd never sell one, but at this point it hasn't been done.
I say this because I want to avoid the flipping conversation if possible.
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 06:16 AM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Sort of depends if I had the cash or not. Since I don’t have the money to afford an Ed White, I’d probably just get the Sapphire Sandwich.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Trog
Banned

A) Without hesitation
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:53 AM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I was originally told I could like at one in person when it arrives before committing at top of list with my AD. Then they said had to pay in full. I looked at price again. And decided to pass. Bought a used sapphire sandwich for 4.2k USD. Happy with my decision. Can always get it next year.

I also want to see what the new snoopy watch looks like first if the decision is one watch or nothing.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

E. Buy an original 321
Sub Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
If you were looking for a regular speedy, I’d probably lean towards that. The Ed white will wear differently. Try an FOIS on also to see the diffs between the 42 and the straight lugs. Then make the decision.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 05:58 PM   #7
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
If I was a fan of the Speedy I'd probably go for A, in normal circumstances. However, if the AD goes bankrupt amid this pandemic, say goodbye to money and watch. So, I'd pass. Asking for 100% upfront is abusive.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:27 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do it. I am not a big enough fan to pay the premium for the 321 movement. I would buy the regular Speedmaster and some straps and go on with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 05:29 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
A) Without hesitation
Yeah, me too. I dig it a bunch. This thread should be a poll with voting buttons, BTW.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 06:37 AM   #10
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
If I was a fan of the Speedy I'd probably go for A, in normal circumstances. However, if the AD goes bankrupt amid this pandemic, say goodbye to money and watch. So, I'd pass. Asking for 100% upfront is abusive.
That is a very relevant point. I mean if they knew they were going out of business and they take your money you may be able to hold the store manager criminally liable. I had this same debate but the boutique is owned by swatch in the country where I'm on the list so that gave me some ease of mind.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 07:01 AM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

B) I am not in the business of providing free financing to ADs no matter how much I want a watch. They go bust and I lose out. Not gonna happen.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 08:11 AM   #12
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

I'm old, will keep my 20th anniversary Apollo 11
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 08:28 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I put up half as requested by the boutique.

Half is unreasonable. Full payment is more unreasonable.
Old 15 June 2020, 09:54 AM   #14
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Just looked at it on the Omega site. It’s almost perfect. The bracelet is fantastic, the display case back beautifully showing the 321 movement, and no crown guards. Wish it had the hesalite crystal on front though.

The price, $14,100?!? Not worth it. Damn shame too, I’ll bet it would outsell any other Omega if it had a more reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 11:02 AM   #15
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Just looked at it on the Omega site. It’s almost perfect. The bracelet is fantastic, the display case back beautifully showing the 321 movement, and no crown guards. Wish it had the hesalite crystal on front though.

The price, $14,100?!? Not worth it. Damn shame too, I’ll bet it would outsell any other Omega if it had a more reasonable price.

Omega's pricing strategy is no accident, in fact it's quite brilliant. They know what original Ed White's go for these days, and are offering a new iteration at a similar price point, c/w warranty. Plus, limiting availability hypes demand and ensures residuals.

Is it worth it? Of course not. But what watch is worth its MSRP?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 11:36 AM   #16
dberdichevsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: utalkinbout
I’d probably just go with a Sapphire Sandwich. It’s a great timepiece and you can save yourself quite a few thousand AND not run any financial risk with your AD. That’s my .02
dberdichevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 03:02 PM   #17
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
if you plan to get the upscale speedmaster then go for it.

for me im already satisfied with the moonwatch 1863 and put my money towards another watch.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 04:47 AM   #18
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

If you love this watch, if you are financially comfortable and if you believe that your AD will not go out of business, go for it. I'd assume that my deposit is safer with an Omega Boutique than with an AD just because they are more likely to survive this downturn.

Keep in mind that Omega's production target is 1000 to 2000 per year. About 10% are projected to come into the US market. Omega Boutiques in the US started taking deposits (full) on Jan 07, 2020.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 04:56 AM   #19
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omega's pricing strategy is no accident, in fact it's quite brilliant. They know what original Ed White's go for these days, and are offering a new iteration at a similar price point, c/w warranty. Plus, limiting availability hypes demand and ensures residuals.

Is it worth it? Of course not. But what watch is worth its MSRP?

I can see that, but the thing with original Ed White’s is that they are rare. They are out of production and have time attached to them. The new 321 isn’t limited and isn’t rare, so I am a bit shocked by the price. If the MSRP were around $7k-$9k it would make more sense to me.

Old 16 June 2020, 05:01 AM   #20
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omega's pricing strategy is no accident, in fact it's quite brilliant.
Omega's price strategy and a lot of others brands is shit. Pardon my french. I'm not a fanboy of any brand but they all try to sell their watches starting at 6k USD and upwards to 10k and mingle around with special editions at 12-14k. At those prices there are better options out there. The only way these Omega's are holding their value is because it's the 100th limited edition they release.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:22 AM   #21
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can see that, but the thing with original Ed White’s is that they are rare. They are out of production and have time attached to them. The new 321 isn’t limited and isn’t rare, so I am a bit shocked by the price. If the MSRP were around $7k-$9k it would make more sense to me.

The 116500ln is also not limited and not rare. This is a irrelevant assumption. We are living in a era where the production number doesn’t matter anymore, this is about whether the piece speaks to you or not and does it persuade enough people to buckle up. When you create a product that its demand outruns the supply, it’s rare, the number of production is logically irrelevant.
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 08:46 AM   #22
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
The 116500ln is also not limited and not rare. This is a irrelevant assumption. We are living in a era where the production number doesn’t matter anymore, this is about whether the piece speaks to you or not and does it persuade enough people to buckle up. When you create a product that its demand outruns the supply, it’s rare, the number of production is logically irrelevant.

You might be right. But I’ll bet money most people here would spring for the Daytona over the 321 if offered the choice at MSRP.

I don’t see this selling as much as the older speedy, and it’s because of the price. I do love it, and I think it’s perfect, but the price makes it a nonstarter.

Old 20 June 2020, 01:45 AM   #23
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You might be right. But I’ll bet money most people here would spring for the Daytona over the 321 if offered the choice at MSRP.

I don’t see this selling as much as the older speedy, and it’s because of the price. I do love it, and I think it’s perfect, but the price makes it a nonstarter.

Welp, I’m afraid that’s where this logic is sort of broken. U see, most people who have the access to source to obtain the 116500LN or some other hot sporty Rolex at MSRP, especially for the last 2 years, will not be going back and forth on this “value proposition” at all, except for some lucky bastards who literally walked into ADs and buy them straight, then congrats to them, but both you and I know what are the odds of that.

For the people who has been “VIP” enough to get SS Daytona at retail, spending another 14k is just a piece of cake, the real question here is whether this Ed White is good enough for them to reach out to their credit card/credit cards

If you have to make a legit “value comparison” for the people who are normal watch enthusiasts who don’t have a S Class or 7 series or a Panamera in their garage, the million dollar question here should be “would you buy a 116500LN at overlist or a Ed White at MSRP?” Because if we take away the price factor, this Ed White is pretty the only Daytona rival on the market base on aspects like heritage, design, level of iconic and fan base across the globe.

Well if you happen to believe that moon landing is fake, that’s another story
Old 20 June 2020, 04:07 AM   #24
Heff
"TRF" Member

Good discussion brother. It’ll be interesting to see how sales of this watch play out. I would love to have it, I think it’s everything the Speedmaster should be, but the price is a deal breaker for me, and I think it will be for a lot of people.

Old 20 June 2020, 05:27 AM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Welp, I’m afraid that’s where this logic is sort of broken. U see, most people who have the access to source to obtain the 116500LN or some other hot sporty Rolex at MSRP, especially for the last 2 years, will not be going back and forth on this “value proposition” at all, except for some lucky bastards who literally walked into ADs and buy them straight, then congrats to them, but both you and I know what are the odds of that.

For the people who has been “VIP” enough to get SS Daytona at retail, spending another 14k is just a piece of cake, the real question here is whether this Ed White is good enough for them to reach out to their credit card/credit cards

If you have to make a legit “value comparison” for the people who are normal watch enthusiasts who don’t have a S Class or 7 series or a Panamera in their garage, the million dollar question here should be “would you buy a 116500LN at overlist or a Ed White at MSRP?” Because if we take away the price factor, this Ed White is pretty the only Daytona rival on the market base on aspects like heritage, design, level of iconic and fan base across the globe.

Excellent framing.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 03:52 PM   #26
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I put 20% non refundable deposit down on the 321 today at a omega boutique realising my name on the ‘list” at the rolex ad across the road for a daytona is most likely long forgotten

Would i prefer the daytona to the 321? Possibly, will need to see the 321 in person for that judgement. Will the 321 fill my appetite for a highend chrono? Definitely

Edit: im not sure if put down a sizable deposit for just an ad, who knows if theyll survive the recession. So option 3) go to your local swatch owned boutique and put your name down there
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 05:47 PM   #27
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good discussion brother. It’ll be interesting to see how sales of this watch play out. I would love to have it, I think it’s everything the Speedmaster should be, but the price is a deal breaker for me, and I think it will be for a lot of people.

I agree with you 100% as the 14k USD asking price for the Ed White is indeed pretty steep for a SS speedy. The way I see it is that Omega is trying to come up with a “halo lineup”, much like the R8 to Audi. Would that be a cash cow or volume seller as most of other models for the brand? Of course not, but what it does is to lifting the brand image, it’s a PR project if you like to say.

That’s also where most people failed to recognize. Instead they went straight to the stereotype question for Omega: “is it a decent product at a reasonable MSRP with competitive discount?” On this Ed White I believed that I saw their effort of trying to correct that recognition as it has damaged the brand’s value over the years. Nor that they were trying to be Rolex as this doesn’t fit in the brand’s core philosophy, my suspicion here is that they are trying to be that Rolex 10 years ago. Back in those days Rolex was more reasonable and properly considerate to their customers with more balanced product lineups, more accessible variations but not lack of halo products, which is much different than what they are today.
Old 20 June 2020, 11:44 PM   #28
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:

I think this is good post
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 11:48 PM   #29
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I was asked if I wanted to go the list for one of these a few days ago, but no promises for delivery this year though.

No request for deposit or any money.

I also asked in the Moonwatch was being discontinued. I was told that Omega had not made any announcement about any changed to the Moonwatch lineup or availability.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 04:35 AM   #30
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
FYI Received email communication that US delivery expected to start in September.