The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 December 2020, 05:27 AM   #1
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Opinions on SMP 300s

I’m thinking about adding a Seamaster 300 to the collection, and I’d like to get some feedback from Omega owners of the pros/cons of ownership of various relatively recent versions of the SMP.

I have a 7.25” wrist and wear many watches in rotation including a 6-digit Rolex Sub, 16710 GMT Master II, Seiko MM300, SKX, Speedmaster Pro, and some vintage Seiko.

Design, wearability, durability, reliability, overall enjoyment and value are high on my list of important attributes.

Below are some images of the models currently under consideration:

Seamaster 300 GMT “Great White”

Seamaster 300 Coaxial (aluminum bezel, wave dial)

Seamaster 300 Coaxial (ceramic bezel, gloss dial)

Seamaster 300 (new model, ceramic bezel and dial)

Any feedback of the relative pros and cons would be very appreciated!!!

-Dan
ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 05:35 AM   #2
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
Dan I would say get the latest version. I bought it in blue dial blue rubber and it’s magnificent. Much more comfortable on the rubber strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 05:42 AM   #3
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyEagles View Post
Dan I would say get the latest version. I bought it in blue dial blue rubber and it’s magnificent. Much more comfortable on the rubber strap

Thanks. Hard to deny how good the new one looks!!!

Old 26 December 2020, 05:45 AM   #4
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the latest iteration. Best one yet IMO, though I am partial to the black dial. If you can swing it, I'd go for the titanium model without a date window, but I understand that is a different price point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 06:25 AM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
If you get the latest model, forget the bracelet and just go with rubber strap. If you get the earlier models, then the black 2500 coaxial with wave dial is the better option. You can actually fit the 2254 style bracelet on the 2500 coaxial wave dial if you don’t like the normal bracelet.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 06:26 AM   #6
andlours
"TRF" Member

I picked up a 2220.80 and I absolutely love it. I think it's the best iteration of the "Bond era" SMP300. I swapped out the original clasp for one of the Omega adjustable clasps and it makes the watch incredibly comfortable.
andlours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 06:56 AM   #7
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
It really depends on what style so you like? SMPs have realy become popular in recent years.
The Brosnan era Bonds re very collectible right now and a lot of people prefer the older lighter thinner styling.
The ceramic gloss style SMPs are also becoming popular because of Coaxial movement, ceramic bezel and the fact that some just prefer the non-wave dial. In the opinion of a lot of Omega lovers this version is a bit of odd ball and for that reason disliked by some and loved by others for that. Bit of a cult.
The most recent version is perhaps the biggest hit of them all and is probably the first version where people consider the movement fit and finish to be on par or better than the Rolex. The new METAS certified movement have an incredible accuracy. It's also a bit more flashier than it's predecessor hence the cult following for the previous model.
The recent version also features a glidelock which in the opinion of many is better than rolex's version.
Do remember, however, that Omega clasp can be purchased separately and added to the older Seamaster models.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision I don't think you will ever regret it.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 07:37 AM   #8
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
If you get the latest model, forget the bracelet and just go with rubber strap. If you get the earlier models, then the black 2500 coaxial with wave dial is the better option. You can actually fit the 2254 style bracelet on the 2500 coaxial wave dial if you don’t like the normal bracelet.

Just curious, why do you think the wave dial version is a better option??? Is it just the bracelet flexibility, or other features as well?

Old 26 December 2020, 07:40 AM   #9
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
It really depends on what style so you like? SMPs have realy become popular in recent years.
The Brosnan era Bonds re very collectible right now and a lot of people prefer the older lighter thinner styling.
The ceramic gloss style SMPs are also becoming popular because of Coaxial movement, ceramic bezel and the fact that some just prefer the non-wave dial. In the opinion of a lot of Omega lovers this version is a bit of odd ball and for that reason disliked by some and loved by others for that. Bit of a cult.
The most recent version is perhaps the biggest hit of them all and is probably the first version where people consider the movement fit and finish to be on par or better than the Rolex. The new METAS certified movement have an incredible accuracy. It's also a bit more flashier than it's predecessor hence the cult following for the previous model.
The recent version also features a glidelock which in the opinion of many is better than rolex's version.
Do remember, however, that Omega clasp can be purchased separately and added to the older Seamaster models.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision I don't think you will ever regret it.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. The ceramic, gloss, coaxial are interesting for me... perhaps because they are a bit off an oddball.

The newest version feels closer to Rolex (luxury) vs pure tool watch... just an observation. I like both styles.

Old 26 December 2020, 07:46 AM   #10
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlours View Post
I picked up a 2220.80 and I absolutely love it. I think it's the best iteration of the "Bond era" SMP300. I swapped out the original clasp for one of the Omega adjustable clasps and it makes the watch incredibly comfortable.

Let’s see a pick.

Why is this the best iteration, in your opinion?

Old 26 December 2020, 08:38 AM   #11
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

You have a little bigger wrist, I think the new 42 would fit perfectly. The new SMPs are as good as it gets.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 08:40 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
Just curious, why do you think the wave dial version is a better option??? Is it just the bracelet flexibility, or other features as well?

It’s thinner than the ceramic 2500 non wave dial and the waves are iconic for the Seamaster Pro along with the HEV.

Given the size of your wrist, the 2018 version will pro sly fit you best.
Old 26 December 2020, 08:52 AM   #13
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
My advice would be to ALWAYS buy a watch on the bracelet as it is the most sought after combination and the cheapest way to buy. Straps are easily changed. I'm one of those people with 10 straps for every watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 09:41 AM   #14
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
My advice would be to ALWAYS buy a watch on the bracelet as it is the most sought after combination and the cheapest way to buy. Straps are easily changed. I'm one of those people with 10 straps for every watch.

I like that advice and agree. Some great shots there, thank you!!!

Old 26 December 2020, 09:43 AM   #15
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s thinner than the ceramic 2500 non wave dial and the waves are iconic for the Seamaster Pro along with the HEV.

Given the size of your wrist, the 2018 version will pro sly fit you best.

Thanks. Thinness IS a concern. Current thinking is an iconic older version PLUS new awesome model could make sense... maybe different colorways, like a navy vintage and black modern.

Old 26 December 2020, 10:52 PM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I currently own three Sea Master 300's. I have the 43.5 mm titanium and ceramic model, the 42 mm white dial model and the titanium James Bond model. The fit and finish on each is great and the time keeping is spot on. I have also owned several of the earlier models and was not as impressed as I am with the current offerings. I own 11 Rolex watches at the moment and can tell you there are no shortcomings to the Omega's. Are they Rolex's, no, but that is the point. Go get the Omega of your choice and enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200911_132244 (002).jpg (233.7 KB, 828 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_123656 (002).jpg (260.0 KB, 829 views)
File Type: jpg 20200718_101954 (002).jpg (215.9 KB, 833 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 03:27 AM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I have the white dial current model on black strap like the last picture you have above and really love it. The ceramic bezel and dial are gorgeous and the way the black bezel flows into the black rubber strap is really striking. I haven't found anything I don't like about it. It's nearly the perfect size at 42 mm and about 13.5 mm thick. So it's big enough to be substantial and have wrist presence but small and light enough to be extremely comfortable. On the strap it's so easy to wear I find myself feeling my wrist a couple times a day to make sure it's still there under my jacket or shirt sleeve. Both COSC and METAS certified, the movement is reliable and very accurate. The wave pattern on the white is a little more subtle than some of the darker colors which I like. They made the hands black on the white dial which was a great move, very legible.. The red trim is just the right enough to pop but not look like it's trying too hard.

So far I really struggle to come up with a negative. If I had to, I guess it would be the helium escape valve. It doesn't bother me really and I forget it's there after putting the watch in my wrist but if Omega offered a "No He valve" option on this watch I'd rather not have than have it.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 03:30 AM   #18
ericg
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubC/SMP 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I’m thinking about adding a Seamaster 300 to the collection, and I’d like to get some feedback from Omega owners of the pros/cons of ownership of various relatively recent versions of the SMP.

I have a 7.25” wrist and wear many watches in rotation including a 6-digit Rolex Sub, 16710 GMT Master II, Seiko MM300, SKX, Speedmaster Pro, and some vintage Seiko.

Design, wearability, durability, reliability, overall enjoyment and value are high on my list of important attributes.

Below are some images of the models currently under consideration:

Seamaster 300 GMT “Great White”

Seamaster 300 Coaxial (aluminum bezel, wave dial)

Seamaster 300 Coaxial (ceramic bezel, gloss dial)

Seamaster 300 (new model, ceramic bezel and dial)

Any feedback of the relative pros and cons would be very appreciated!!!

-Dan
I’m coming out of a SubC and a GMT Blnr and going to buy the white dial on black rubber strap. I live in a hot and humid climate and I think it’s the perfect watch for and I love the white dial. Waiting to get to the AD to try it on.
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 03:35 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
I’m coming out of a SubC and a GMT Blnr and going to buy the white dial on black rubber strap. I live in a hot and humid climate and I think it’s the perfect watch for and I love the white dial. Waiting to get to the AD to try it on.
You're going to love it, trust me! Looks good in photos, but looks even better when you put it on your wrist.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 04:06 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Those are all great watches but unless you're collecting based on nostalgia or a trait the older model does better in your opinion I would go for the latest version.

It has much more of a presence and I love the sapphire case backs. You get a lot of watch with these new ones and no need to worry about the bezel scratching or fading.

I had my 2225.80 serviced a few months ago by Omega (Swatch Group Canada) and they no longer sell just the bezel insert. You have to buy the entire assembly with the bezel ring.

Anyway, my next watch will be the current Planet Ocean Chronograph. If I was looking for a non-chrono Omega I would certainly be getting the latest version. Prices on some of the discontinued models brings them very close to what the new ones go for pre-owned.

Either way I can't wait to see what you decide!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 04:15 AM   #21
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I like the pre-coaxial titanium. Most comfortable watch I own.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 05:08 AM   #22
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I would also go with the newer model. The pics everyone posted above say it all. They're slightly more, but I think they're worth the premium.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 01:00 PM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The blue Bond Seamaster Automatic was my first nice watch and a friend of mine has a great white GMT. I've also handled the second generation modern Seamaster as well as the current model. If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend the current version, as it is the highest quality model of the three. I would also recommend buying it on the bracelet and adding whatever straps you want at a later date.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 03:11 PM   #24
texasmade
"TRF" Member

I’ve been reading either here, FB, or omegaforums that people are buying on bracelets and adding the straps later. Once they put it on the rubber strap, they never wear the bracelet again. That’s how much better the rubber strap is to the bracelet.
Old 27 December 2020, 03:57 PM   #25
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
I’ve been reading either here, FB, or omegaforums that people are buying on bracelets and adding the straps later. Once they put it on the rubber strap, they never wear the bracelet again. That’s how much better the rubber strap is to the bracelet.

Only relevant for people that prefer rubber. I wear on all as well as NTTD mesh.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 04:31 PM   #26
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Rubber strap is a godsend for people in humid climates. Its also nice that Omega gives people options, once people discover Omega, they are blown away with options and enjoy giving their watch a new look.

It makes the watch so much more fun.

Having said that, some people like me still love the bracelet and prefer that over the strap.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 06:50 PM   #27
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Only relevant for people that prefer rubber. I wear on all as well as NTTD mesh.

do you mind if i ask how much you paid for NTTD mesh and where you got it from?
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2020, 10:59 PM   #28
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I love my big Blackie. I've owned just about every Rolex model under the sun. They're all gone now and I'm not going back. Too much hype and preoccupation with value. My Seamaster 300M is a gorgeous watch I wear 24/7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seamaster.jpg (97.5 KB, 732 views)
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2020, 01:00 AM   #29
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
The newest model on the rubber strap is an incredible combo. Most comfortable watch I’ve ever owned with impressive aesthetics and a fantastic movement (that you can actually see).
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2020, 04:06 AM   #30
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I’ve got the new one in blue on bracelet and a 114060 sub. Sub bracelet is better but overall... probably the omega. Certainly more accurate movement. And it pops.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote